Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Fox News is to Conservatism as MSM is to Liberalism, and CNN is nothing more than an on-going broadcast folly reel.

Simple as that. All mainstream news sources are philosophicaly disingenuous and clearly cater to their audience's ideologies for ratings - after all, ratings is what it's about, right?
Of course all media is somewhat biased, that is why many of us try to get our news from more than one souse even if we do lean one way or the other. I admit, we watch FOX more than any other, but not because we are conservatives (which we are) but because they really do have a nice selection of contributors even if there are more to the right than the left. This is more than most networks can claim. We watch CNN from time to time and PBS, but rarely watch MSNBC, it is just too full of left wingers like Chris Matthews and Rachael Maddow with no right wing balance at all. CNN is left, but does give both sides. We also depend on a couple of newspapers and a couple news magazines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
I made my choice in August 2006. I canceled my satelite TV subscription, I cannot get cable, therefore I do not watch any broadcast TV.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I like MSNDCV, personally. MSN DECEIVE.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
I don't watch any cable news, it's all BS and them trying to "out scoop" each other.

The best source of news during the recent Boston situation were the live scanner feeds.

I should add I do watch Daily Show and Colbert... just because they're funny

Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I made my choice in August 2006. I canceled my satelite TV subscription, I cannot get cable, therefore I do not watch any broadcast TV.
I'm moving and am considering doing the same... I think I may be able to watch the few things I like on hulu/netflix/internet.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I see all these silly bumper stickers with these statements. Do you really think any of them are honest in their reporting? Are not ratings more important than the truth for the news agencies? Both of these news agencies have agendas to push certain beliefs.
Do you just watch one? or do you at least spend time on the other to see the other side of the story? or are you just stupid to believe the other side lies all the time and you refuse to look.?
I know you only mentioned CNN and FOX but i will also talk about MSNBC in my responds.

FOX and MSNBC are both commentary channels. Neither of them are "news networks" as they do not do investigative reporting to any measurable extent ( i say measurable because both do have unique original stories at times, just not often enough to matter), where as CNN does do its own reporting.

Fox and MSNBC are both bias, there is no denying it. CNN has gotten to the point where they either dismiss both major political parties in interviews or let them walk over their host.

"lie" to me has always been the wrong word to use(atleast in general). Telling one side(your side) of the story is not lying to me (omission) both FOX and MSNBC do it and as i said, CNN will just allow surrogates to present both sides and question neither or attack both.

That being said, FOX has outright lied or claimed that their "source" said it and not them once it has been proven wrong, labeling bloggers as experts and such.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course all media is somewhat biased, that is why many of us try to get our news from more than one souse even if we do lean one way or the other. I admit, we watch FOX more than any other, but not because we are conservatives (which we are) but because they really do have a nice selection of contributors even if there are more to the right than the left. This is more than most networks can claim. We watch CNN from time to time and PBS, but rarely watch MSNBC, it is just too full of left wingers like Chris Matthews and Rachael Maddow with no right wing balance at all. CNN is left, but does give both sides. We also depend on a couple of newspapers and a couple news magazines.
That bold line tells me you do not watch MSNBC, that or you consider anyone to the left of Bill O'Reilly as "left"

Joe Scarborough, Chuck Todd, S.E. Cupp all of these are conservatives and host MSNBC shows.

There are not Liberal host on FOX, and the Democratic contributors are conservatives.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM

311 posts, read 492,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Besides, despite of numerous channels on cable to choose from, there's absolutely nothing substantive on to watch. It's mostly watered-down quality.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That bold line tells me you do not watch MSNBC, that or you consider anyone to the left of Bill O'Reilly as "left"

Joe Scarborough, Chuck Todd, S.E. Cupp all of these are conservatives and host MSNBC shows.

There are not Liberal host on FOX, and the Democratic contributors are conservatives.
Actually there are quite a few liberal and Democratic hosts or contributors on Fox News:

- Juan Williams
- Geraldo Rivera
- Susan Estrich
- Harold Ford Jr.
- Alan Colmes
- Lis Wiehl
- Bob Beckel
- Ellen Ratner
- Ellis Henican
- Mara Liasson
- Mort Kondracke
- Pat Caddell
- Kristen Powers
- Leslie Marshall
- Marc Lamont Hill

Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I'm moving and am considering doing the same... I think I may be able to watch the few things I like on hulu/netflix/internet.
I still watch TV, but only DVDs these days. I get my news online, usually from Thousands of Online Newspapers on the Web : World Newspaper Directory : Listed on OnlineNewspapers.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies