Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSwissGuy View Post
Well yeah I am probably very liberal by your standards... as I am not a racist
I don't have a racist bone in my body, and am friends with many affluent, sophisticated, good heated black people.
Quote:
fundamentalist christian,
I'm an Atheist.

{ isn't it amazing that when people try and point out the assumed bigotry of others, it's their own bigotry that just pours out them? truly amazing...... and amusing }

Quote:
gun-nut who is against any sort of government activity
Well you have me on both of those counts. If being proud of my countries strong tradition and heritage of gun ownership, if being proud of our history of brave forefathers who used guns to secure our freedom and independence, and being proud to be a part of a country that is so free as to allow it's citizenry to keep and bear arms for our defense is called being a "gun nut".... than by god, slap a big label that says as much on my forehead.

While I am not against government activity, I admit, I am suspicious of most everything a corrupt body known as a government does until I verify it's merits for myself. In other words, I am not a sheep, as I suspect you are.

Quote:
Obviously not immediatley after you all give away your guns (or just change your mentality. That's way more important anyways).
Maybe you'd care to explain to me why areas with higher gun ownership see less crime like home invasions? Could it possibly be that the would be scum know it's more likely they'll end up dead?

Quote:

Why is violent crime that much more prevalent in the US than in any other rich, modern, western democracy? ),
Easy.... we have more guns and more people, that's why. It only stands t reason that a country with more guns and more people will have higher gun crime. That's a given. It's like asking why there are more car accidents in metro areas than in rural areas. Obviously there are more cars, and more people driving them. I also suspect that the liberal mentality that has taken root has led to this problem more than anything else. With the liberal mentality firmly intact, somehow morals have become not politically correct, woman have become objects of men's sexual desires, drugs, partying, drinking, the depiction of violence and murder in popular culture, etc etc have become "cool" Yes, it's the liberal mentality that is ravaging this country.
[quote]

Quote:

Apparently gun ownership (you're number one
You guys are number three and yet you have very low crime rates. Why is that? What are the cultural differences between our two countries? I think if we answer that, we'll have our answer.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-25-2013 at 12:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well it was on Hannity so it could be suspicious but still verifiable. Watching Greta now. I can do a search on Hannity web site.

He said there is a sign going into Watertown that says as much, not to have guns in the city.
As usual, you're drawn to stupid-sounding lies like a fly to ****. If there is something that sounds ridiculous and has no chance of being true... you'll parrot it on here. I could set my clock to it.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 AM

56 posts, read 41,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'm an Atheist.
So we already have something in common ;-)

Quote:
Maybe you'd care to explain to me why areas with higher gun ownership see less crime like home invasions? Could it possibly be that the would be scum know it's more likely they'll end up dead?
Well the amount of guns is not the only factor influencing the crime rates. It's also possible that these area are usually less densely populated, wealthier or something else.

Quote:
Easy.... we have more guns and more people, that's why. It only stands t reason that a country with more guns and more people will have higher gun crime.
Ok it seems to me that you admit to guns being the reason for the violence in your country...

But more people doesn't mean higher crime RATES at all... More people means more crimes (I'm not critisizing that the US have 14000 homicides a year compared to around 50 in Switzerland. That's obviously just due to your size. What I'm critisizing is, that your number of homicides per 100'000 people is 6 times higher than ours...)

I'm also not talking about gun crime but about violent crime or homicides in general. So it doesn't have anything to do with the number of guns.

Quote:
That's a given. It's like asking why there are more car accidents in metro areas than in rural areas. Obviously there are more cars, and more people driving them. I also suspect that the liberal mentality that has taken root has led to this problem more than anything else. With the liberal mentality firmly intact, somehow morals have become not politically correct, woman have become objects of men's sexual desires, drugs, partying, drinking, the depiction of violence and murder in popular culture, etc etc have become "cool" Yes, it's the liberal mentality that is ravaging this country.
liberal mentality, drugs, drinking, violence in popular culture etc. all these things are just part of western culture in general! We have all these things in every single western European country as well. The liberal mentality is also a lot stronger on our side of the Atlantic. That doesn't explain why you are so much more violent! Because out of 30 European countries with a very similar culture not even one has a violence problem comparable to yours...

If anything it's the conservative mentality of using a gun for self-defense that makes you violent. That's exactly what I said before. It's a vicious circle: civilians buy guns because some of the criminals are armed, then the rest of the criminals buys guns because their victims are all armed. It's bad for both sides but none of them can stop it without being at a severe disadvantage for a couple of years... It's a little like the cold war...

Quote:
You guys are number three and yet you have very low crime rates. Why is that? What are the cultural differences between our two countries? I think if we answer that, we'll have our answer.
We don't shoot burglars, robbers or thieves so they have no reason to hurt us or even carry a gun.

But that's probably just my marxist European mentality, because we also think it's wrong to blast little kids in the face with a full auto shotgun when they try to retrieve a frisbee from your property...

Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Easy.... we have more guns and more people, that's why. It only stands t reason that a country with more guns and more people will have higher gun crime. That's a given. It's like asking why there are more car accidents in metro areas than in rural areas. Obviously there are more cars, and more people driving them. I also suspect that the liberal mentality that has taken root has led to this problem more than anything else. With the liberal mentality firmly intact, somehow morals have become not politically correct, woman have become objects of men's sexual desires, drugs, partying, drinking, the depiction of violence and murder in popular culture, etc etc have become "cool" Yes, it's the liberal mentality that is ravaging this country.
That's not true. America has always been more violent than Europe. Even when the gun laws were similar America was more violent. America's history, demographics, and socioeconomic issues are different as well. The way we approach criminal punishment is quite different. Our lax border security is different. El Paso is one of the safest cities in the world, yet across the border is one of the most dangerous so it is more than just guns.

If you aren't involved in drugs or gangs you have very low odds of ever being shot.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
liberal mentality, drugs, drinking, violence in popular culture etc. all these things are just part of western culture in general! We have all these things in every single western European country as well. The liberal mentality is also a lot stronger on our side of the Atlantic. That doesn't explain why you are so much more violent! Because out of 30 European countries with a very similar culture not even one has a violence problem comparable to yours...

If anything it's the conservative mentality of using a gun for self-defense that makes you violent. That's exactly what I said before. It's a vicious circle: civilians buy guns because some of the criminals are armed, then the rest of the criminals buys guns because their victims are all armed. It's bad for both sides but none of them can stop it without being at a severe disadvantage for a couple of years... It's a little like the cold war... .
Criminals get guns to rob and/or shoot other criminals and to defend themselves against other gangs/drug dealers. The vast majority of break ins occur when the owner is not home. Some burglars might have a gun in case the home owner does, but they tend to avoid conflict.

For whatever reason America has always been more violent than Europe. Even when the gun laws were similar America was more violent, that's part of our culture and history. The American violent crime rate seems high compared to European countries, but it is at or near an all time low for American standards.

How many European countries had slavery?
How many European countries had Jim Crow laws?
How many European countries failed to provide police protection to segments of their population?
How many European countries discriminated against a segment of their population?

Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Criminals get guns to rob and/or shoot other criminals and to defend themselves against other gangs/drug dealers. The vast majority of break ins occur when the owner is not home. Some burglars might have a gun in case the home owner does, but they tend to avoid conflict.
Ok but then it must again be a problem of american culture. Because drug dealers where I live don't carry guns and don't feel the need to fight each other, even though they watch the same hollywood movies as your criminals...

Quote:
For whatever reason America has always been more violent than Europe. Even when the gun laws were similar America was more violent, that's part of our culture and history. The American violent crime rate seems high compared to European countries, but it is at or near an all time low for American standards.
Europe wasn't very peaceful a couple of centuries ago (or even in the first half of the last century). But in Europe the legitimate violence was usually restricted to governement armies. While in the US some people think they still live in the wild west were every man needs to carry a gun in case he gets attacked by indians or bandits... Maybe that is the big difference? That Europeans believe in the state monopoly on violence, while americans don't.

Quote:
How many European countries failed to provide police protection to segments of their population?
How many European countries discriminated against a segment of their population?
Slavery was totally normal and accepted in about every European country. As for the rest of your questions: How about Germany? 70 years ago Germany didn't "just" discriminate and fail to protect segments of their population. Instead it systematically murdered millions of people for pure racial reasons... And today Germany's violent crime rates are ridiculously low compared to the US...

Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Ok but then it must again be a problem of american culture. Because drug dealers where I live don't carry guns and don't feel the need to fight each other, even though they watch the same hollywood movies as your criminals...
How do they steal territory from one another? Our gangs have territories that they fight over. Just wearing the wrong color in the wrong neighborhood can get you shot.

Quote:
Europe wasn't very peaceful a couple of centuries ago (or even in the first half of the last century). But in Europe the legitimate violence was usually restricted to governement armies. While in the US some people think they still live in the wild west were every man needs to carry a gun in case he gets attacked by indians or bandits... Maybe that is the big difference? That Europeans believe in the state monopoly on violence, while americans don't.
Maybe, not to say Europe was never violent but the US was still more violent than Europe. Europe had largely been settled while Americans were trying to conquer the continent and fight Indians, so I'm sure than factors into the higher violence rates.

Quote:
Slavery was totally normal and accepted in about every European country. As for the rest of your questions: How about Germany? 70 years ago Germany didn't "just" discriminate and fail to protect segments of their population. Instead it systematically murdered millions of people for pure racial reasons... And today Germany's violent crime rates are ridiculously low compared to the US...
Yeah, I don't know why Germany is so peaceful. Maybe we need an occupying force to dismantle our military.

I'm not sure Jews are a good example though. Jews were still educated and had a history of education right? African Americans were killed for being able to read and eventually were sent to second tier schools. After schools were desegregated people with money left for the suburbs which resulted in a two tier school system once again.

Back in the 50'-60's the police used to go into the black neighborhoods and beat people up. In response to this those communities formed gangs that would provide protection. Over time these gangs turned to drugs and violence and everything started escalating until the early 90's.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:

Well the amount of guns is not the only factor influencing the crime rates. It's also possible that these area are usually less densely populated, wealthier or something else.
You're right. So long as you are not in the inner cities with all the drug dealers and gang bangers, you're probly not going to get shot. Frankly, I don't think gang on gang violence should count in the statistics. As far as I'm concerned, them killing each other is a blessing to society.

Quote:
Ok it seems to me that you admit to guns being the reason for the violence in your country...
Not at all, and how could they be? I have owned guns my entire adult life, and never once have they made me commit any act of violence against anyone else.

Quote:
But that's probably just my marxist European mentality, because we also think it's wrong to blast little kids in the face with a full auto shotgun when they try to retrieve a frisbee from your property...
Average US citizens don't have access to fully automatic weaponry. Some of your comments on the gun problem in the US make me wonder if you know what you are talking about?

Quote:
American standards.

It sounds a bit to me like you are implying that much of the violence problem in this country rests with the black community. At the risk of swimming against the tide of political correctness and being called a racist again, something I would like to see is statistical data on

black on black crime
black on white crime
-vs-
white on white crime
white on black crime

It's no secret that our inner cities and ghettos are occupied mostly by the black community and other minorities, and those areas seem to be where the problem is coming from. If the problem is within { notice I said within, not with } the black community, why?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:41 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Good post Whipper, but the Swiss guy doesn't know that US civilians are not allowed to own fully automatic shotguns - at all. As far as I know, none were available prior to 1986.

The only full auto weapons civilians can own are those manufactured before 1986, and only after a thorough FBI background check, much paperwork, and an expensive tax.

Of the 240,000 legal fully automatic weapons in American civilians' hands, only three have ever been used to commit crimes since 1936 - and two of those were done by policemen.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
How do they steal territory from one another? Our gangs have territories that they fight over. Just wearing the wrong color in the wrong neighborhood can get you shot.
I think our drug dealers are not so much organised in gangs and are genereally not violent. They are either peacefully competing with each other or just stick to their territory or maybe they stick to their fists to fight each other. But there is not much drug related violence anywhere in our country.

Quote:
Maybe, not to say Europe was never violent but the US was still more violent than Europe. Europe had largely been settled while Americans were trying to conquer the continent and fight Indians, so I'm sure than factors into the higher violence rates.
Europe wasn't peaceful at all until 1945. Within 20 years two world wars started in Europe a long time after you conquered North America. But as I said, the violence was mainly carried out by regular armies, not by civilians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies