Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a liberal or a conservative?
Liberal 38 35.19%
Conservative 30 27.78%
Fiscally Liberal, Socially Conservative 7 6.48%
Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative 33 30.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
that is just an excuse. If republicans would exercise personal responsibility, they would be able to see for themselves which candidate represents their views. You can go online, look at their voting records, go to their websites, talk to people who may have had dealings with them, articles that they may have written to understand what they are about. Blaming the media because Ron Paul or some other candidate didn't get the coverage that some would have liked is just lazy.
I am not in disagreement. The voters are incredbly ignorant. If you go back and read the comments on this very forum which were made by Republican voters who were seeking a conservative candidate, they promoted Mitt Romney. They thought Romney was the conservative candidate, but you need to ask, why did the voters think he was conservative. Most people don't have the time to get to the bottom of things, so they turn on the TV and watch FOX or CNN or whatever news outlet, which are horribly opinionated when it comes to covering elections, so in a sense they control people's minds, and who gets elected. I am fine blaming it on the people, and not on the media, but I am not sure if it is completely honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
AND independent.

AND independent.
Fixed it for you.

People who want larger government, in full or in part, are liberal. Regardless of what party they consider themselves in.

"Independent" is unimportant. Though it's often (though not always) used as a dodge by liberals to try to pretend they aren't liberal.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
I am not in disagreement. The voters are incredbly ignorant. If you go back and read the comments on this very forum which were made by Republican voters who were seeking a conservative candidate, they promoted Mitt Romney. They thought Romney was the conservative candidate, but you need to ask, why did the voters think he was conservative. Most people don't have the time to get to the bottom of things, so they turn on the TV and watch FOX or CNN or whatever news outlet, which are horribly opinionated when it comes to covering elections, so in a sense they control people's minds, and who gets elected. I am fine blaming it on the people, and not on the media, but I am not sure if it is completely honest.
I think its completely fair and honest to blame the people. I go back to the personal responsibility argument that gets shoved down my throat by republicans. You are responsible for finding out the facts about candidates, not the media.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:06 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
one thing that is starting to annoy me is this idea that the party picked a candidate. At the end of the day, no matter how much money is thrown into an election, its voters who have to go to the ballot. There was nothing stopping republicans from voting for Bachmann, huntsmen, Santorum, Ron Paul etc. You guys lecture us liberals about personal responsibility, so why didn't republicans take the personal responsibility to learn about each candidate. Here you are blaming the media, and other people for republicans lack of finding out the candidate that best represents conservatives.
Media has everything to do with it.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:29 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,646 times
Quote:
This country was founded on a foundation of certain principles, including moral ones.
My issue with many conservatives is that they preach small government. Except for on morality.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My issue with many conservatives is that they preach small government. Except for on morality.
Oh how true! Right wingers want small govt (so the rich can run the country unencumbered), and they definitely want lots and lots of "moral" laws (with severe punishments) for all those people who aren't either GOP or mega-rich.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Media has everything to do with it.
that's right. Blame the media and don't take responsibility.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
This country was founded on a foundation of certain principles, including moral ones.
And that's why we have laws against murder, theft, etc.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
No. The government already tells us who we can marry. The only way you would lesson the power of government on this issue is to dessolve marriage as a legal agreement enforced by the government. Until then, marriage as it stands provides a privilege to heterosexual couples over homosexual couples.
Not true at all. You can have all kinds of agreements that are not defined by government. That does not mean they are not enforced by government.

Government should not tell me who and how many I can marry.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Fixed it for you.

People who want larger government, in full or in part, are liberal. Regardless of what party they consider themselves in.

"Independent" is unimportant. Though it's often (though not always) used as a dodge by liberals to try to pretend they aren't liberal.
No, don't fix my words, when you are the one in error. You said "socially liberal" means you want more government, but that's really not true, is it? They want government out of their social issues like drug use, gay sex, abortion etc.

Educate yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies