Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
By the way, you're asking as if the IRS employees are losing all sorts of money and in great financial hardship when in fact they are only being furloughed FIVE DAYS that are scheduled so far this year, with another two days "possible" in the fall.

Sequester Hits IRS, More than 89,000 Employees Furloughed - ABC News

So that's more like 1/52 percent of their pay possible, not 20 percent like some people are saying.
Yeah, 1.92%. You'd think these people were geniuses by their hubris but they can't even apparently do simple grade school math.

It definitely makes me question why I'd even post to a forum where people who can't do simple math think they have the wherewithal to dictate how other people should live their lives, spend their money and raise their chitlins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yeah, 1.92%. You'd think these people were geniuses by their hubris but they can't even apparently do simple grade school math.

It definitely makes me question why I'd even post to a forum where people who can't do simple math think they have the wherewithal to dictate how other people should live their lives, spend their money and raise their chitlins.
LOL well my math might be a bit off but I knew that five days of furlough out of an entire year is not a twenty percent pay cut! It's one work week out of fifty two!

By the way, let's look at some other FURLOUGHS that the Federal government is putting into place. For some reason, the urban legend is that these furlough are a twenty percent pay cut to all federal employees who will be furloughed. This is simply NOT TRUE.
Furlough Watch: Agency-by-Agency Impacts of Sequestration - Management - GovExec.com

Customs and Border Protections - furloughs have been postponed. Not only that -they will retain their overtime hours as well.
It?s Official: Furloughs at Customs and Border Protection Postponed - Defense - GovExec.com

Defense Department (civilian workers)- Fourteen days of furlough this year - reduced from the threatened 22 days. Defense Cuts Furlough Days to 14 - Defense - GovExec.com

EPA - only four furlough days are planned so far for this year. They COULD be subject to up to 13 days but so far only four are planned -one of which is in conjunction with Memorial Day, which gives them a four day weekend. Bet not many are complaining about that! First phase of EPA furloughs begins April 21

FAA - eleven days of furlough. FAA tells employees to expect 11 furlough days

Federal courts - 20,000 employees have been told that they COULD be furloughed for up to 16 days. However, no furlough dates have been put into place. Sequestration will mean thousands of furloughs, possibly layoffs, at federal courts | Federal Times | federaltimes.com

Government Accountability Office - no planned furloughs

Government Printing Office - no planned furloughs

Homeland Security - An undetermined number of employees "could be furloughed" up to 14 days, but no furloughs have been announced.

Housing and Urban Development - Seven furlough days POSSIBLE but not yet determined. http://www.afge476.org/documents/MOU-Furlough.pdf

Interior Department - furloughs threatened but none committed to or scheduled

IRS - as we've stated repeatedly on this thread - five to seven days.

Justice Department - no furlough dates or number of days determined or scheduled Justice Postpones Furlough Decision to Mid-April - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com

Labor Department - an average of six days furlough for affected employees (not all employees) Labor Department Sends 4,700 Furlough Notices - Management - GovExec.com

NASA - no furlough notifications or dates have been sent out.

National Institutes of Health - no furloughs expected or planned

National Labor Relations Board - says it sent out some furlough letters but that's all the information it has given. OMB: Some Agencies Could Begin Furloughs in March - Management - GovExec.com

NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - up to four furlough days, one in conjunction with July 4 to extend that holiday weekend. Four Furlough Days at NOAA; Lawmaker Offers Budget Help - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com

National Park Service -no furloughs

National Nuclear Security Administration - no furloughs

Nuclear Regulatory Commission - no furloughs

Office of Management and Budget - ten furlough days (why do I find that ironic?)

Office of Personnel Management - no furloughs No Furloughs Planned at OPM - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com

Small Business Administration -no furloughs
SBA head: Agency will avoid major blow from cuts

Smithsonian - no furloughs
Some Agencies Won?t Need Furloughs Under Sequester - News - GovExec.com

Social Security Administration - uncertain, no furloughs scheduled

State Department - no furloughs anticipated
State Department’s no furloughs for now policy adds a variant on sequester’s impact

TSA - no furloughs expected or planned
TSA Will Avoid Furloughs for Now, Union Says - Technology - GovExec.com

Veterans Affairs - no furloughs
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa.../stareport.pdf

Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Are you kidding? You actually just said that? Why don't you think for a moment how much less your paycheck would be with 2 days of pay complete gone every month then get back to us.
For most people who will be furloughed, it's a day every week.
That's 20% of their pay.
Hey, who cares, it's not the poster's job.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
By the way, you're asking as if the IRS employees are losing all sorts of money and in great financial hardship when in fact they are only being furloughed FIVE DAYS that are scheduled so far this year, with another two days "possible" in the fall.

Sequester Hits IRS, More than 89,000 Employees Furloughed - ABC News

So that's more like 1/52 percent of their pay possible, not 20 percent like some people are saying.
So, you are gloating over their misfortune.
They haven't even had a cost of living raise in 3 years and congress just passed a law that they won't get a cost of living raise for the next three.

You don't think that they need their money?
Or that they're not hit by inflation, just like everyone else?

But don't worry, you get yours.
Quote:
It's not twenty percent - or even ten percent - of any full time worker's paycheck. Five days are scheduled between now and September.
I know you can't, but try to imagine the angst of families who were told that they're losing 20% of their pay due to the sequestration.
That went on for months, people scrambling, people trying to figure out how they're going to make ends meet...
So now it's not as bad, you're still gloating.

How about your son losing up to 20% of his pay.
The taxpayers would still pay his rent, food, etc.
Others don't get that very big benefit.

And that's only one agency.
All are different.

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-25-2013 at 12:13 AM..

Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So, you are gloating over their misfortune.
They haven't even had a cost of living raise in 3 years and congress just passed a law that they won't get a cost of living raise for the next three.

You don't think that they need their money?

But don't worry, you get yours.

I know you can't, but try to imagine the angst of families who were told that they're losing 20% of their pay due to the sequestration.
That went on for months, people scrambling, people trying to figure out how they're going to make ends meet...
So now it's not as bad, you're still gloating.

How about your son losing up to 20% of his pay.
The taxpayers would still pay his rent, food, etc.
Others don't get that very big benefit.

And that's only one agency.
All are different.
You don't pay close attention, do you?

For starters, I haven't gloated over ANYONE losing ANY portion of their pay.

Secondly, you obviously don't understand much about military pay or military careers.

And finally, I just gave an EXHAUSTIVE list of the Federal agencies affected - or NOT affected - by furloughs. The ONLY group I could find that is facing a 20 percent temporary reduction in pay is civilian workers in the military - like commissary workers or people who work at the PX. Even in those cases, there are many exceptions - I gave links to that information.

The vast majority of government workers who are facing furloughs are looking at under 6 days this year total.

Just scroll up a tiny little bit and you can see the entire list.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:19 AM

Here, chielgirl, I know this is a lot of words, but here's a dose of reality for you about furloughs:

By the way, let's look at some other FURLOUGHS that the Federal government is putting into place. For some reason, the urban legend is that these furlough are a twenty percent pay cut to all federal employees who will be furloughed. This is simply NOT TRUE.
Furlough Watch: Agency-by-Agency Impacts of Sequestration - Management - GovExec.com

Customs and Border Protections - furloughs have been postponed. Not only that -they will retain their overtime hours as well.
It?s Official: Furloughs at Customs and Border Protection Postponed - Defense - GovExec.com

Defense Department (civilian workers)- Fourteen days of furlough this year - reduced from the threatened 22 days. Defense Cuts Furlough Days to 14 - Defense - GovExec.com

EPA - only four furlough days are planned so far for this year. They COULD be subject to up to 13 days but so far only four are planned -one of which is in conjunction with Memorial Day, which gives them a four day weekend. Bet not many are complaining about that! First phase of EPA furloughs begins April 21

FAA - eleven days of furlough. FAA tells employees to expect 11 furlough days

Federal courts - 20,000 employees have been told that they COULD be furloughed for up to 16 days. However, no furlough dates have been put into place. Sequestration will mean thousands of furloughs, possibly layoffs, at federal courts | Federal Times | federaltimes.com

Government Accountability Office - no planned furloughs

Government Printing Office - no planned furloughs

Homeland Security - An undetermined number of employees "could be furloughed" up to 14 days, but no furloughs have been announced.

Housing and Urban Development - Seven furlough days POSSIBLE but not yet determined. http://www.afge476.org/documents/MOU-Furlough.pdf

Interior Department - furloughs threatened but none committed to or scheduled

IRS - as we've stated repeatedly on this thread - five to seven days.

Justice Department - no furlough dates or number of days determined or scheduled Justice Postpones Furlough Decision to Mid-April - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com

Labor Department - an average of six days furlough for affected employees (not all employees) Labor Department Sends 4,700 Furlough Notices - Management - GovExec.com

NASA - no furlough notifications or dates have been sent out.

National Institutes of Health - no furloughs expected or planned

National Labor Relations Board - says it sent out some furlough letters but that's all the information it has given. OMB: Some Agencies Could Begin Furloughs in March - Management - GovExec.com

NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - up to four furlough days, one in conjunction with July 4 to extend that holiday weekend. Four Furlough Days at NOAA; Lawmaker Offers Budget Help - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com

National Park Service -no furloughs

National Nuclear Security Administration - no furloughs

Nuclear Regulatory Commission - no furloughs

Office of Management and Budget - ten furlough days (why do I find that ironic?)

Office of Personnel Management - no furloughs No Furloughs Planned at OPM - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com

Small Business Administration -no furloughs
SBA head: Agency will avoid major blow from cuts

Smithsonian - no furloughs

Social Security Administration - uncertain, no furloughs scheduled

State Department - no furloughs anticipated
State Department’s no furloughs for now policy adds a variant on sequester’s impact

TSA - no furloughs expected or planned
TSA Will Avoid Furloughs for Now, Union Says - Technology - GovExec.com

Veterans Affairs - no furloughs
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa.../stareport.pdf

Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
You don't pay close attention, do you?

For starters, I haven't gloated over ANYONE losing ANY portion of their pay.

Secondly, you obviously don't understand much about military pay or military careers.

And finally, I just gave an EXHAUSTIVE list of the Federal agencies affected - or NOT affected - by furloughs. The ONLY group I could find that is facing a 20 percent temporary reduction in pay is civilian workers in the military - like commissary workers or people who work at the PX. Even in those cases, there are many exceptions - I gave links to that information.

The vast majority of government workers who are facing furloughs are looking at under 6 days this year total.

Just scroll up a tiny little bit and you can see the entire list.
And you don't have much knowledge of the civilians who work for the military.
I was trying to get you to think about your son losing money; I was in the military and work in a military community.
Your son lives off of the same $$ that those civilians do, only he's protected for some dumb reason.

Civilians in the military run large organizations, manage garrisons, move your son's household goods, move tanks and equipment, they are logistics and public works. They are finance and business professionals and scientists, as well.
So you think civilians are your stock boys?

I work in a military community and I saw what people went through when they thought they either got furlough letters or were given presentations about the effect of the furlough on them.

BTW, the BX/PX is not defense; AAFES is their own hands-off entity.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
And you don't have much knowledge of the civilians who work for the military.
I was trying to get you to think about your son losing money; I was in the military and work in a military community.
Your son lives off of the same $$ that those civilians do, only he's protected for some dumb reason.

Civilians in the military run large organizations, manage garrisons, move your son's household goods, move tanks and equipment, they are logistics and public works. They are finance and business professionals and scientists, as well.
So you think civilians are your stock boys?

I work in a military community and I saw what people went through when they thought they either got furlough letters or were given presentations about the effect of the furlough on them.

BTW, the BX/PX is not defense; AAFES is their own hands-off entity.
Way to deflect.

And my son is no longer in the military, by the way.

I am a former military brat, wife, and mother. I know the drill. And some civilians ARE stock boys, by the way.

My point (that you still haven't grasped apparently) is that CIVILIAN WORKERS FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE ARE THE ONLY GOVERNMENT WORKERS I COULD FIND THAT ARE FACING FURLOUGHS OF POSSIBLY 20 PERCENT OF THEIR WORK HOURS. And even in that case, there are numerous exceptions to that percentage.

But really, you ought to know that.

The vast majority of government workers are facing a few days this year - at the most. In fact, most government workers aren't going to go on furlough at all.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Way to deflect.

And my son is no longer in the military, by the way.

I am a former military brat, wife, and mother. I know the drill. And some civilians ARE stock boys, by the way.

My point (that you still haven't grasped apparently) is that CIVILIAN WORKERS FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE ARE THE ONLY GOVERNMENT WORKERS I COULD FIND THAT ARE FACING FURLOUGHS OF POSSIBLY 20 PERCENT OF THEIR WORK HOURS. And even in that case, there are numerous exceptions to that percentage.

But really, you ought to know that.

The vast majority of government workers are facing a few days this year - at the most. In fact, most government workers aren't going to go on furlough at all.
And you scoff at those who are.
If your son isn't in the military any more, he's either a civilian or contractor going to Guam being moved by the military or contractor.

You made it sound like all DoD civilians are stock boys.
Reread your comment.

So you've been sucking at the government teat all your life in one way or another.
Now you're repaying with your taxes.
And you're whining.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
And you scoff at those who are.
If your son isn't in the military any more, he's either a civilian or contractor going to Guam being moved by the military or contractor.

You made it sound like all DoD civilians are stock boys.
Reread your comment.

So you've been sucking at the government teat all your life in one way or another.
Now you're repaying with your taxes.
And you're whining.
You are ridiculous.

I'm not scoffing at ANYONE who is getting furloughed - no matter how many times you repeat that false accusation, it doesn't make it true.

And my son is not being MOVED to Guam - he's going there voluntarily and it's not with the military or as a contractor. You may be surprised to realize that some people choose to MOVE to Guam - just because they can.

And finally - I haven't been married to, or the child of, anyone in the military for over twenty years. My husband and I have paid in more taxes each year than many people MAKE in a year as well. I have every right to hold our elected officials accountable for how they spend the money that I earn.

You really, really, really should probably quit making so many unfounded assumptions and accusations - unless of course you want to continue digging that hole for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies