Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I know that this could open up a discussion of whether religion has been a force for predominantly good or evil in the world - but it also asks whether parents 'own' their children or not and at what point, if any, the community should intervene.
I think the child's right to access proper medical care in order to preserve/maintain their health supercedes the parents' rights to practice their religion.

Just my $0.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
There's an old Buddhist saying. "Use everything. Be a slave to nothing." In this case being a slave to religious doctrine was fatal.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,674 times
Take their remaining children, if any. Unfit parents. Also if they have any future children in the near future, they should unfortunately loose custody until they are reformed out of this nonsense.

If they don't want the healing for themselves, fine, they are adults. But making this "decision" for their children is not a "parenting right."

Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
This is futher proof that people are stupid and it also proves that religion and science also dont have all the answers.
Sometimes you live and sometimes people will die and even science and doctors can't fix the problem, but knowledge of which REALLY will help you when its a COMMON sickness etc then people need to TRY ALL possible solutions.

Any powers and many things in this world and many people's body react different to meds and treatments.
Huh?
Where did science get introduced into this scenario?
It didn't.
Obviously religion didn't have the answers either time.
Hopefully the law will be able to teach them a lesson, and that it includes mandatory sterilization for the both of them.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:01 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Quite a few medicines are nothing more than a leap in faith too. Not saying anything about religion, don't read into this.

So many treatments and medicines are nothing more than guesses.
That's why we came up with double-blind studies. Science - it works.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Well, that's not the only example of blind faith overriding common sense. Alas, while no real harm comes from believing the earth is 6,000 years old, for example, the outcome of such delusional faith as this is certainly a tragedy.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Huh?
Where did science get introduced into this scenario?
It didn't.
Obviously religion didn't have the answers either time.
Hopefully the law will be able to teach them a lesson, and that it includes mandatory sterilization for the both of them.
Ha! You don't mince words, do you? Yeah, I think all parents who neglect the well being of their children should not have any more, but I can't see Congress proposing your solution any time soon.

That reminds me. I worked with a woman who had 12 siblings. All were druggies, thieves, and had records with the law except her. She went to college, got a good job and married a fine man. She could not figure out why she was different than the others.

I'm not sure after which child her parents should have been sterilized, but she was the first so she's safe.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:53 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Lock'em up and throw away the key. Prosecute the Pastor as an accessory and shut down their church.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 651 times
Let's not turn this into a "is there a God or there isn't" .. At least until one had the chance to go all over the Universe, look under every rock, come back and share the findings with all of us. Until then, there's two things everyone can do when someone is sick. You can certainly pray and put it all in God's hands, make it short and straight to the point, because time is not on your side, then go and see a doctor. You want to believe in both God and science, this is the way to do it. I dare to presume that God believes in him/herself and that he/she believes is science, too. Believers should copy that. They are supposed to be followers, right ? Well, it's time.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:23 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take that View Post
Let's not turn this into a "is there a God or there isn't" .. At least until one had the chance to go all over the Universe, look under every rock, come back and share the findings with all of us. Until then, there's two things everyone can do when someone is sick. You can certainly pray and put it all in God's hands, make it short and straight to the point, because time is not on your side, then go and see a doctor. You want to believe in both God and science, this is the way to do it. I dare to presume that God believes in him/herself and that he/she believes is science, too. Believers should copy that. They are supposed to be followers, right ? Well, it's time.
Statistically, god answers prayer no more than chance.

Quote:
The third party studies have all been performed using Christian prayers, and reported either null results, correlated results, or contradictory results in which beneficiaries of prayer had worsened health outcomes. For instance, a meta-analysis of several studies related to distant intercessory healing published in the Annals of Internal Medicine in 2000 looked at 2774 patients in 23 studies, and found that 13 showed statistically significant positive results, 9 showed no effect, and 1 showed a negative result.
Quote:
Get a billion Christians to pray for a single amputee. Get them to pray that God regrow that missing limb. This happens to salamanders every day, presumably without prayer; this is within the capacity of God. I find it interesting that people of faith only tend to pray for conditions that are self-limiting.
Efficacy of prayer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies