U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,841 posts, read 31,689,330 times
Reputation: 12594

Advertisements

This may provide a bit of insight about how they think.

TORONTO — A man charged in an alleged al-Qaida-directed plot to attack a Via Rail passenger train suggested in court Wednesday that he doesn’t recognize the authority of the Criminal Code because it is “not a holy book.”

Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, of Montreal, asked to address the Toronto courtroom after the five terrorism charges against him were read out.

They are based on the Criminal Code and “we know that this Criminal Code is not a holy book,” Esseghaier said.

“It’s just written by set of creations and the creations they’re not perfect because only the creator is perfect.”

Read more: Montreal terror suspect: Canada

 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 2,671,643 times
Reputation: 3488
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
No matter what part of the world you are in, there are Muslims fighting someone. They are killing Christians in Nigeria, Hindus in India, Buddhists in Myanmar, and EACH OTHER in Iraq. Is there something in the Koran that encourages this?
That is a fairly specious argument. The same could easily have been said of the christians as recently as WW II if not more recently. What is probably a more acurate argument is to actually look at the socioeconomic factors of these countries. Nigeria, Myanmar, Iraq have repressive or only recently less repressive regimes and extreme poverty, along with a myriad of other factors.

India, although it has sectarian violence, is relatively stable considering it has the 2nd largest muslim population in the world of about 300 millions.

Indonesia, which is the largest muslim country in the world, it is pretty stable without much bloodshed.

Unfortunately, there are many problems in parts of the muslim world, but less so because of the religous beliefs of their peoples and more so because of government repression, social, economic, etc. That being said, obviously any person living in such extreme conditions might turn to their religous beliefs to try and deal with such grim circumstances. What do you think the Christians did for a millenia during the dark ages? It was only science, reason and the renaissance that ultimitely lifted christian Europe out of it's 1000 year long dark period. Ironically, in part that was due to the muslim Moors and their amassing of great quanities of science, literature and the arts that was later disseminated to the rest of Europe through Moorish Spain and the crusades. Who do you think preserved all that ancient Greek and Roman literature which included our concepts of democracy?
 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
20,894 posts, read 13,626,507 times
Reputation: 3949
It is explicitly an imperialistic faith, something it learned from its parent faith of Christianity. Christianity mostly got over it. Islam hasn't yet.
 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,583 posts, read 8,265,969 times
Reputation: 4158
Why are Muslims always fighting others - is it inherent in their religions/political belief system?


You can ask the same question about Democrats.

Look at their campaign speeches. They ar almost always cut from the same piece of cloth:

"We will FIGHT for the little guy...."

"We're FIGHTING for you, against forces of injustice...."

"We're FIGHTING against the lobbyists for this cause or that cause...."

Why are Democrats always fighting others - is it inherent in their religions/political belief systems? (Their religion and their political belief system are one and the same, of course: Liberalism. It is a religion because it must be taken on faith, and because anyone who opposes it isn't just wrong, but eeevil.)
 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:32 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,583 posts, read 8,265,969 times
Reputation: 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Really? You turned this into a rant against Democrats? Are you usually left alone at parties?
Quoting Democrats is "ranting"?

If you say so.

The reason for your name is becoming clear.
 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Here
1,690 posts, read 1,490,182 times
Reputation: 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I'm not sure why you are asking this question. It is well documented with just a little bit of research, regarding the teaching of the Koran. Islam was founded on world domination by extreme violence. Their alleged founder was no "father knows best" Let's just leave it at that.
First, I object to your negative reference of "Father Knows Best", which was a good albeit overly innocent program of the 50-60s. It showed that father did know best, although my own father proved that to be mostly unfounded malarky.

Anyway, the Qur'an has many passages that advocate brutatlity and violence for everything from "disbelieving" to adultery, and much more. Fortunately most practicing Muslims disregard these passages, just as Christians disregard passages that advocate slavery, death for working on the sabbath, the public stoning of unruly kids, etc., which are there in the Bible.
 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:42 PM
 
567 posts, read 907,247 times
Reputation: 450
You gotta get more specific. Wahabbism (spread by Saudi $$$) and Salafism are both pretty nasty. Most of your jihaadis are along those lines. You just can't compare those guys to, say, the Sufism of Turkey.
 
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM
 
4,510 posts, read 4,108,107 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
First, I object to your negative reference of "Father Knows Best", which was a good albeit overly innocent program of the 50-60s. It showed that father did know best, although my own father proved that to be mostly unfounded malarky.

Anyway, the Qur'an has many passages that advocate brutatlity and violence for everything from "disbelieving" to adultery, and much more. Fortunately most practicing Muslims disregard these passages, just as Christians disregard passages that advocate slavery, death for working on the sabbath, the public stoning of unruly kids, etc., which are there in the Bible.
Slavery was just a fact at that time, but 'death for working on the sabbath, the public stoning of unruly kids, etc'? - you are way off base.
 
Old 04-24-2013, 04:37 PM
 
4,510 posts, read 4,108,107 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
That is a fairly specious argument. The same could easily have been said of the christians as recently as WW II if not more recently. What is probably a more acurate argument is to actually look at the socioeconomic factors of these countries. Nigeria, Myanmar, Iraq have repressive or only recently less repressive regimes and extreme poverty, along with a myriad of other factors.

India, although it has sectarian violence, is relatively stable considering it has the 2nd largest muslim population in the world of about 300 millions.

Indonesia, which is the largest muslim country in the world, it is pretty stable without much bloodshed.

Unfortunately, there are many problems in parts of the muslim world, but less so because of the religous beliefs of their peoples and more so because of government repression, social, economic, etc. That being said, obviously any person living in such extreme conditions might turn to their religous beliefs to try and deal with such grim circumstances. What do you think the Christians did for a millenia during the dark ages? It was only science, reason and the renaissance that ultimitely lifted christian Europe out of it's 1000 year long dark period. Ironically, in part that was due to the muslim Moors and their amassing of great quanities of science, literature and the arts that was later disseminated to the rest of Europe through Moorish Spain and the crusades. Who do you think preserved all that ancient Greek and Roman literature which included our concepts of democracy?

'christians as recently as WW II' - are you actually equating the Nazis with 'Christians'?

Well, things are going swimmingly in Bangladesh...

"Hundreds of Muslims in Bangladesh burned at least four Buddhist temples and 15 homes of Buddhists on Sunday after complaining that a Buddhist man had insulted Islam, police and residents said.

Members of the Buddhist minority in the Cox's Bazar area in the southeast of the country said unidentified people were bent on upsetting peaceful relations between Muslims and Buddhists.

Muslims took to the streets in the area late on Saturday to protest against what they said was a photograph posted on Facebook that insulted Islam."

Muslim protesters torch Buddhist temples, homes in Bangladesh | Reuters
 
Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 PM
 
15 posts, read 14,421 times
Reputation: 24
Islam is a violent religion. It creates nothing but destroys everything. It would have all of us living in some stone age beating our wife and sexually repressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top