U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should panhandling be illegal
Yes, panhandling should be illegal 23 39.66%
No, panhandling should not be illegal 35 60.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,428 posts, read 35,894,753 times
Reputation: 62802

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Your life isn't more interesting when you have to exaggerate.

The guy is a panhandler. Big deal if he lies, a majority of them do. The fact that you took time out of your oh so busy life to call the cops on this guy says a lot about you. I simply can't get worked up over an issue like this, especially to the point of wasting the cops time. What's worse, the blind panhandler or wasting a cops time because someone is annoyed by said panhandler? I'm going to go w/the latter.
I'm not exaggerating anything. Sorry that find my life so unbelievable (and apparently interesting, since this isn't the first thread on which you've leveled the same baseless accusation) that you feel compelled to accuse me of embellishing. I can assure you I'm not -but I really don't care whether or not you believe me. I think it's sort of funny that you don't. I mean, I DO lead a pretty exciting and interesting life, and some pretty unbelievable things have happened to me over the past fifty one years, but I do get a kick out of it when a total stranger can't even BELIEVE all the fun, interesting, ridiculous, dramatic, or curious things that have happened to me, or that I've done. GO, ME!

One thing for sure, I'm never bored. Never.

You are accusing me of exaggerating (aka lying) on several threads at this point. Honestly, that's sort of pitiful. You have absolutely no grounds to level this accusation at me. In fact, I've been a member here for quite a while now and you are honestly the FIRST person to make such a groundless accusation.

But now you say you disagree with my action - now THAT is a different story altogether. Who's changing their stories to suit the situation now? First you accuse me of embellishing or exaggerating, and then when I call your hand on that, you switch to "Well, I wouldn't have done it that way."

So what? You wouldn't. I would. I have a large, military family. I don't appreciate people masquerading as "blind veterans" when they most certainly are NOT. I relish the opportunity to bust someone on that lie.

But I hate to break it to you - you won't ever be able to bust me on a lie. You know why? Because I tell the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2013, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Here
2,187 posts, read 1,948,911 times
Reputation: 1363
I voted no as you can always walk right past a panhandler. The aggressive ones who come up to the car or get in your face are a different matter and sometimes require being dealt with less than pleasantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 03:33 PM
 
4,839 posts, read 3,556,675 times
Reputation: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not exaggerating anything. Sorry that find my life so unbelievable (and apparently interesting, since this isn't the first thread on which you've leveled the same baseless accusation) that you feel compelled to accuse me of embellishing. I can assure you I'm not -but I really don't care whether or not you believe me. I think it's sort of funny that you don't. I mean, I DO lead a pretty exciting and interesting life, and some pretty unbelievable things have happened to me over the past fifty one years, but I do get a kick out of it when a total stranger can't even BELIEVE all the fun, interesting, ridiculous, dramatic, or curious things that have happened to me, or that I've done. GO, ME!

One thing for sure, I'm never bored. Never.

You are accusing me of exaggerating (aka lying) on several threads at this point. Honestly, that's sort of pitiful. You have absolutely no grounds to level this accusation at me. In fact, I've been a member here for quite a while now and you are honestly the FIRST person to make such a groundless accusation.

But now you say you disagree with my action - now THAT is a different story altogether. Who's changing their stories to suit the situation now? First you accuse me of embellishing or exaggerating, and then when I call your hand on that, you switch to "Well, I wouldn't have done it that way."

So what? You wouldn't. I would. I have a large, military family. I don't appreciate people masquerading as "blind veterans" when they most certainly are NOT. I relish the opportunity to bust someone on that lie.

But I hate to break it to you - you won't ever be able to bust me on a lie. You know why? Because I tell the truth.
You certainly waste a lot of words trying to convince yourself. Yawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
124 posts, read 149,954 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Then you are in denial. There is nothing more shameful or degrading than begging. A beggar relinquishes their human dignity when they accept money for their pitiful state. People who enable beggars are equally as guilty for the plight of the beggars as they often make it possible for them to live a life of drunkenness or drug addiction.
I was waiting for someone to mention the beggar relinquishing his/her dignity. Early one Saturday morning last summer, I was biking to my temporary second job, and a guy appeared and said, "Excuse me, sir!" I knew him to be a panhandler, so I kept going on my way. This guy ran after me, "Excuse me, sir! Excuse me, sir!" before I finally rounded a corner and lost him.

I thought the whole time, Have you no pride, no self-respect at all? I think I may have been more charitable under different circumstances, but it was early Saturday morning. I would much rather have been home in bed, but I was up at first light to go to a second job to earn some extra cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Dublin, CA
3,813 posts, read 3,648,735 times
Reputation: 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Uh huh, sure. Why would you call the police? Another post that is just mighty suspicious.
People call the police about panhandlers everyday, all day, in cities all across the country. There is a certain segment of society which dislike panhandlers, whether they are aggressive or not. Many times, the store managers call in, because of complaints from the customers.

You have to understand, many panhandlers are homeless and as such, have alcohol, drug, and mental health issues. Many smell, are dirty, and like it or not, are scary to small kids. Parents don't like their children being afraid when they are going to the local supermarket shopping for groceries. So, they call the police.

I can't count on my fingers and toes the number of calls such as this I have responded too. Having said that, I don't agree with making panhandling illegal; unless it becomes aggressive. When it crosses the line is when the police should step in. In my city, we have an ordinance for aggressive panhandling.

Not too mention, in California, "aggressive panhandling" can move, VERY quickly to the realm of strong armed robbery. Depending upon how the victim feels and what they said, if they were afraid for their safety and gave the panhandler money, it COULD and HAS been determined to be a robbery. In California, robbery is defined as using force OR fear to obtain something. So, if Grandma Kettle is walking into the Safeway and some drunk, crazed panhandler gets in her face and says, "Give me 10 bucks." She hands the money over, because she is scared, said panhandler COULD, read again, COULD be facing some serious jail time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:39 PM
 
5,280 posts, read 3,486,642 times
Reputation: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Let local communities pass laws restricting where it can be done, some intersections simply aren't safe. However, it should not be made illegal on a federal level. I don't think my state should outlaw it, your state can make its own decisions
Precisely. There is something magically different and less invasive when we allow state and local governments to restrict us than when the federal government does it. Now, I'm not saying that I support telling people it is illegal to ask people for money, but if you want to make it illegal in your neck of the woods, that is fine. Just as I'm fine with you telling gays they can't marry or blacks they must wait longer in line to vote. We'll let states make those decisions. After all, the states have a fine record, particularly our esteemed southern states, when it comes to leaving it to them to make equitable decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top