Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times

Advertisements

How to Breed Dogs: 20 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

• Temperament. This is a quality passed on from the Stud and Dam to pups which is of utmost importance in breeds which have aggressive tendancies, like Doberman Pinschers and Rottweilers, so you should investigate the Stud and Dam's temperaments before deciding to breed them.

Thornless blackberries don't cause thorn injuries. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
If it was my kid that got torn up or killed, it don't matter too much to me if its a pit bull or pit bull look a like. My actions will be the same.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Don't worry, every shelter in America is chock full of Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes abandoned by their Pit Bull loving owners. By far the most represented breed in all shelters. If you really wanted one- you would have one.

Next we'll hear about after gaining possession of one for some strange reason you now can't obtain home owner's insurance or nobody will rent to you.
Absolutely. The ASPCA labels their dogs as "mixes" so as not to prejudice adoptions. We got as puppy called a "lab mix" for our youngest son. After a couple of weeks, a neighbor asked why we got a Pit Bull when they were forbidden in our county. I didn't believe her, until my 10 yr confessed that he was afraid of the dog, because he was so "nippy". I took that puppy to a vet practice, and all 5 vets, individually, told me she was a Pit. The kicker was the vet who said she wasn't just Pit, she was an aggressive one.

I took the puppy back, and the very next day it was on the web site, again. listed as a Lab mix. I TOLD them she had aggressive tendencies.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Maybe we should take the same attitude for pit bulls that the liberals take with Muslims. Don't blame the whole bunch for the actions of a few.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 PM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
I like your thinking Malamute! Any dog can be agressive. A neighbor had his nose bit off by his brother in law's shep mix that he had known for 9 years - the dog was not aggressive and besides excessive heat no one knows why the dog did it. My husband was bit by his aunt's dalmation that he grew up with - turns out the dog had a brain tumor.

My 35 lb terrier/lab/beagle mix is more agressive as far as barking and growling than my pit mix - plus the actual article said "The breed, we believe, is a pit bull,” If you look at the link provided by a previous poster - find the pit bull - you will see how many breeds of dogs are mistaken for pit bulls - let alone all the mixes. And personal at the SPCA and vets can make assumptions due to physique and markings on a dog but unless you have papers - no one can say with a certainty that a mixed breed is a pit.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Why not have toy dogs do work since the breed does not matter? Its not complicated. Attack dogs are bred to attack and fighting dogs are bred to fight.
They didn't become fighting dogs until man decided cruelty to animals was a better sport. Can't blame a breed for fighting when it's man that brings it out in them....... Rottweilers are just as dangerous and can be just as nice as a poodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
How to Breed Dogs: 20 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

• Temperament. This is a quality passed on from the Stud and Dam to pups which is of utmost importance in breeds which have aggressive tendancies, like Doberman Pinschers and Rottweilers, so you should investigate the Stud and Dam's temperaments before deciding to breed them.

Thornless blackberries don't cause thorn injuries. Go figure.
How do we get this information to gang members, drug addicts, dog fighters, low life humans.......they seem to be the ones abusing the breed. Don't think they are looking for any kindness only dollars.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
It is irresponsible of any dog owner to leave a two year old alone with a dog. Sorry. Not the dog's fault, bad owner.

It is BOTH the owner and the dog's fault. It's time all dog owners realize that it is never, ever acceptable for a dog to attack a child (or adult), even if the child provoked the dog. It's also time we realize that most dogs when provoked by a child, will never, ever retaliate. Any dog that retaliates is a dangerous dog, period.

I have had plenty of dogs in my life, none, zero, nada, of them would ever retaliate. If a child came at them with too much roughhousing, they would run away. It's that simple. They would never bite because that's not who they are - they don't bite and they don't attack. Period. That's the kind of dogs we need to strive for. Anyone who makes excuses for the dog is just emboldening dangerous behavior. Yes, the mother is at fault too but that dog is dangerous. End of story.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
It is BOTH the owner and the dog's fault. It's time all dog owners realize that it is never, ever acceptable for a dog to attack a child (or adult), even if the child provoked the dog. It's also time we realize that most dogs when provoked by a child, will never, ever retaliate. Any dog that retaliates is a dangerous dog, period.

I have had plenty of dogs in my life, none, zero, nada, of them would ever retaliate. If a child came at them with too much roughhousing, they would run away. It's that simple. They would never bite because that's not who they are - they don't bite and they don't attack. Period. That's the kind of dogs we need to strive for. Anyone who makes excuses for the dog is just emboldening dangerous behavior. Yes, the mother is at fault too but that dog is dangerous. End of story.
Nice words if you have a huge fenced yard for the dog to run to.

These freaks in the story lived in an apartment. Where do you suppose the dog would go?

Common sense, people, common sense.

And for someone to say their dog would never, ever bite is living in some kind of fantasy world. That's like idiotic mothers who say, "my son would never do that." Bull hockey. Dogs will bite if provoked or frightened and have no place to hide.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
A 2 year-old was killed by the family pet today, a pit bull who had lived with the family for 8 years.

Child killed by pit bull in south Fulton County | 11alive.com

Honestly I have nothing against pit bulls, but I would never have one around my small children. When will people wise up?
I didn't read the story, but I'm sure they said something like nothing like this has happened before right? Dog was gentle and loving.

A Pitbull is a dangerous dog, they need the right owner. Nothing against the breed, it's the owners.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Nice words if you have a huge fenced yard for the dog to run to.

These freaks in the story lived in an apartment. Where do you suppose the dog would go?

Common sense, people, common sense.

And for someone to say their dog would never, ever bite is living in some kind of fantasy world. That's like idiotic mothers who say, "my son would never do that." Bull hockey. Dogs will bite if provoked or frightened and have no place to hide.
What are you trying to say? That you need a big yard in order to raise a well adjusted non-vicious dog? That's just silly. Plenty of great dogs live in apartments. Stop making excuses.

My dogs never bite, you know how I know? Because they've all passed away now and they have never bitten anyone or any dog in their entire wonderful lives. Dogs that have never bitten in their whole lives = dogs that would never ever bite. What's so complicate about that?

Trust me, my dogs have had plenty of occasions where they were provoked, attacked, or just generally treated poorly. They never bit. End of story.

If your dog bites when provoked, and you seem to imply that your dog does so, then your dog is a danger to society; and it's up to you to do something about it. It's that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies