U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 AM

4,832 posts, read 2,328,783 times

Advertisements

This topic is just like politics - you aren't going to convince someone who believes the media hype about Pitbulls that they are getting a bad rap or that situations reported are not accountable. Here is a link to the National Canine Research Council

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...F%20Report.pdf

Any dog in these conditions described in most of these reports has the ability to become aggressive. What we need to do is have more control and reprecussions for "pet owners" if these situations are found.

Are there some animals with aggressive tendencies - yes - in all breeds - just as there are some very aggressive individuals born who act out there aggression rather than controlling it.

And momonkey - this is for you - please read the NCRC description of what family versus resident dogs are - again - the media spin on these situation is not always the truth - more times not as they want to create sensationalism and fear. Again - no accountability.

What happened to the good old days when news people actually had to have confirmed sources and backup before reporting a story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 05:06 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,446,778 times
Sadly, as others have said, most of the 'pit bull' stories aren't about pit bulls. Pitties are the most misunderstood, misidentified dog on planet earth.

And equally sadly, most people are too dumb to realize that when a dog, any dog, is jumped on by a toddler while said dog is sleeping or eating, suffering from illness or genetic defect, or a host of other scenarios, said dog isn't going to like it. Exceptionally rare is the dog who just sits and decides, "there's a baby in a stroller over there. I think I'll go rip it apart for no reason".

I have raised, shown, and rescued many, many dogs. Not a single one ever bit anyone. Given the wrong circumstances, it's possible they might have.

People are the idiots, not the dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That being said, there are certain breeds of dog that adjust better to apartment life. Did you know the best apartment dogs include Greyhounds, St. Bernards, and Great Danes? They might take up a lot of floor space, but are basically big couch potatoes at home.
It's always a good idea to have experience rather than believing, then repeating, every thing one hears.

And yes, I do have experience with Greys and Saints. Unfortunately, I've never owned a Dane.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:00 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,221,987 times
I don't get why people are quibbling over whether or not the dog is a pittie mix or not. The term "pit bull" encompasses 3 breeds, and mixes thereof anyway. Does it really matter which of the 3 breeds American Pit Bull Terrier, American Stafforshire Terrier, or Staffordshire Bull Terrier a fatal attack dog turns out to be, or the combinations of those breeds?

Yes, Tea Cup Yorkie are nasty little things that nip repeatedly, the difference between nippy dogs and pit bulls is that pesky little detail of fatality.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 AM

44,378 posts, read 35,877,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
If it was my kid that got torn up or killed, it don't matter too much to me if its a pit bull or pit bull look a like. My actions will be the same.
Oh, I TOTALLY agree, and I believe it's common practice to put the dog down - which is as it should be.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
It is BOTH the owner and the dog's fault. It's time all dog owners realize that it is never, ever acceptable for a dog to attack a child (or adult), even if the child provoked the dog. It's also time we realize that most dogs when provoked by a child, will never, ever retaliate. Any dog that retaliates is a dangerous dog, period.

I have had plenty of dogs in my life, none, zero, nada, of them would ever retaliate. If a child came at them with too much roughhousing, they would run away. It's that simple. They would never bite because that's not who they are - they don't bite and they don't attack. Period. That's the kind of dogs we need to strive for. Anyone who makes excuses for the dog is just emboldening dangerous behavior. Yes, the mother is at fault too but that dog is dangerous. End of story.
I agree to some extent.

However, I also believe that many dogs who attack (regardless of breed or mixture of breeds) are neglected, isolated dogs, or a dog that's new to a family and was possibly neglected in the past. By neglected and isolated, I mean emotionally as well as physically. Many dogs spend their lives at the end of a chain in a dirty backyard just hoping they get fed that day.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Only a complete dog-moron would think those were "pits" - I immediately thought Black Lab and Golden/Spaniel type of mix. Gorgeous babies!!

(also, sorry your neighbors are apparently moronic & paranoid)
Thank you!

My neighbors have bought into the pit bull hype from the media.

Twenty years ago it was German Shepherds, then Rottweilers, then Dobermans, then Chows that were the "devil dogs" that were always attacking people, according to the media.

What happened - did all those "aggressive breeds" suddenly stop attacking and pass that gene on to pit bulls and dogs that just LOOK like pit bulls?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:22 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,328,783 times
"I don't get why people are quibbling over whether or not the dog is a pittie mix or not. The term "pit bull" encompasses 3 breeds, and mixes thereof anyway. Does it really matter which of the 3 breeds American Pit Bull Terrier, American Stafforshire Terrier, or Staffordshire Bull Terrier a fatal attack dog turns out to be, or the combinations of those breeds?"

People are quibbling because most dogs identified as pitbulls aren't - they're either a purebred or a mixture of bulldog, boxer, dogo argentino, mastiff, boston terrier ect - and another breed . Whenever anyone sees a dog that has a large square head they think pitbull. Many of these supposedly pittie mixes have no pit in them at all - but have been identified as such due to the characteristics that are similar to the dogs I've mentioned and many more.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,595,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, I TOTALLY agree, and I believe it's common practice to put the dog down - which is as it should be.
I don't believe it has been killed yet. It will probably go for adoption shortly and what is so pathetic is some idiot will adopt it.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,920,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It's always a good idea to have experience rather than believing, then repeating, every thing one hears.

And yes, I do have experience with Greys and Saints. Unfortunately, I've never owned a Dane.
It's also a good idea to know the background of people you're addressing, before you go ASSuming things. Not only have I been a dog owner for many years, but I was also a pet sitter for like 10-15 years... so this isn't something I merely heard, it is based on my own personal observations.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,622,916 times

Temperament - Pit Bull Truth
Currently the American Pitbull Terrier scores an 85.3% percent according to the American Temperment Test Society http://www.atts.org . Considering this breed has been surrounded by more controversy then any other this testing holds true, and helps show how obedient and willing these dogs are to please. Remember the evaluator of the Temperment Test does not come without baggage or bias either as propagated by the media and heresay. An evaluator should have experience with the breed specifically for a minimum of 5 years experience.

One very important characteristic of the Pit Bull dogs, is their amazing love of people. Human aggression, severe shyness, and instability are not traits typically found and accepted in the Pit Bull breed. Unlike the myth propagated by the media though, human aggression is not a trait associated with the Pit Bull breed. In fact, Pit Bulls tend to do better than average in temperament tests. Unlike the myth propagated by the media though, human aggression is not a problem specific to the Pit Bull breed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies