Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

Well at least they struck the part where it allowed homeless to urinate in public.

"Ammiano's so-called "Homeless Bill of Rights" prohibits police from enforcing ordinances on resting in public places unless a county has provided sufficient support to homeless people. It also includes a right to an attorney during court proceedings that involve minor offenses.
"Citations, arrests and jail time do not solve homelessness," Ammiano told the Assembly Judiciary Committee. "They just route crucial public dollars that could be spent on housing to an already impacted court and corrections system."
AB5 also would require state government to pay for creating local "hygiene centers" with restrooms and showers open 24 hours a day.
The bill has been revised several times since its introduction. A reference allowing people to urinate in public spaces was stricken, and it now says the rights listed apply in public spaces but not on private property."

It appears the democrats in Cali have a new victim cause to fight for. Who will be the first to sue the state for not providing an adequate "hygiene center" is the question. Or they will need state funded transportation to and from said hygiene center. Which hygiene center will the LGBT population have access too?? I guess trying to find em a job is out of the question.

"Several Democrats on the committee said they support the goal of preventing discrimination against homeless people but have concerns about the potential cost of the bill's requirements, including creating hygiene centers, and its restrictions on police officers."

Read more: Bill says homeless have right to be on the street - Times Union
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
I'm with Cali on this one. I've never thought it was a good idea to arrest people for simply being homeless.

Yeah, yeah I know "you can't get arrested for being homeless", but if you have nowhere to go they will arrest you. Kind of a catch 22.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
California, the land of extremely expensive houses and limitless pockets to support the downtrodden. The middle class is so screwed there. I guess it's a good thing it has great weather or no average person in their right mind would want to live there.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Glad to see my tax dollars are hard at work. We can't keep the courts open in this state but we have money for "hygene centers" and attorneys for homeless when they get tickets for J walking.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Glad to see my tax dollars are hard at work. We can't keep the courts open in this state but we have money for "hygene centers" and attorneys for homeless when they get tickets for J walking.
Bet you are really excited to pay for a lawyer when some homelss guy gets arrested for wizzing in your yard.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well at least they struck the part where it allowed homeless to urinate in public.

"Ammiano's so-called "Homeless Bill of Rights" prohibits police from enforcing ordinances on resting in public places unless a county has provided sufficient support to homeless people. It also includes a right to an attorney during court proceedings that involve minor offenses.
"Citations, arrests and jail time do not solve homelessness," Ammiano told the Assembly Judiciary Committee. "They just route crucial public dollars that could be spent on housing to an already impacted court and corrections system."
AB5 also would require state government to pay for creating local "hygiene centers" with restrooms and showers open 24 hours a day.
The bill has been revised several times since its introduction. A reference allowing people to urinate in public spaces was stricken, and it now says the rights listed apply in public spaces but not on private property."

It appears the democrats in Cali have a new victim cause to fight for. Who will be the first to sue the state for not providing an adequate "hygiene center" is the question. Or they will need state funded transportation to and from said hygiene center. Which hygiene center will the LGBT population have access too?? I guess trying to find em a job is out of the question.

"Several Democrats on the committee said they support the goal of preventing discrimination against homeless people but have concerns about the potential cost of the bill's requirements, including creating hygiene centers, and its restrictions on police officers."

Read more: Bill says homeless have right to be on the street - Times Union

So what. Homeless people are human beings are they not?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
They are vagrants.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Bet you are really excited to pay for a lawyer when some homelss guy gets arrested for wizzing in your yard.
I'm going to go take a dump on Ammiano porch and see how he feels about a homeless bill of rights, that is unless he lets me in to use his ample "hygiene centers" in his house.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
They are vagrants.
So the homeless should be treated differently from the rest of us...why?? This could happen to any of us. To think there are people like you that judge those down on their luck is pretty deplorable.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
They are vagrants.
They are humans, Americans, veterans, mentally ill, but not vagrants. If you gave them a home they would not be homeless. Don't want to give them a home? Don't complain about them being homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies