U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM

51,670 posts, read 41,621,215 times

Advertisements

The writers point is not completely improbable.

You start getting major successful litigation at the youth levels, that will push up insurance costs and sink a lot of HS programs.

It won't go away super fast but I can see external legal pressures shifting the game.

Hey guys, remember when helmets were optional and the goalpost was front of the endzone? Changes CAN and probably WILL happen.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,045,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I agree. My point really is if there is a groundswell to tame the game and put it out of its misery, what better way to accomplish that than introduce the killing blow----introduce females into the game with men. It's done all the time in other endeavors. Just to show you how politically correct I am----HAIL TO THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS!

Hey, you're not offending me. Being from Ohio I am also a CLEVELAND INDIANS fan!!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:03 AM

88 posts, read 75,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It was stillborn in Detroit.

What is hanging over the NFL is a class action lawsuit with 4000 ex-players seeking damages for injuries when the NFL was denying the injurious effects of concussions. If anything, the NFL is going the route of cigarette manufacturers. They are still around, and still killing people.
First of all, it was obviously tongue-in-cheek. And second, check a map and look at where Marquette is. Still think I'm a Lions fan?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 AM

88 posts, read 75,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You are writing that from Michigan?
Look at a map and think that question through a bit more. I don't think I've ever met a single Lions fan that lives up here.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:08 AM

3,742 posts, read 3,784,662 times
He does make some good points.

If I had a kid, I probably wouldn't let them play football. 99% of kids will never make the NFL, it just isn't worth serious detrimental long term health effects for a hobby.

I'd never live with myself if something like this happened to my kid:

OTL: Football At A Crossroads: Safe Youth Football? - ESPN Video - ESPN

Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 AM

9,897 posts, read 6,832,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Illegal touching, unnecessary roughness.
And yes, flag football it would become.
What a dirty little mind you have

Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,225,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
To counter that I see the NFL making new players sign a waiver, saying they know the risk and can't sue, in the near future.
Waivers might or might not protect them in court. Years ago I had a friend who was a big time alcoholic, and injured his head badly, while drunk, by diving into an empty hotel swimming pool. There were warning signs posted. He sued and won. When he told the story to me he exulted (paraphrase): "I learned that all the warning signs in the world don't mean squat in court."

BTW have you noticed that few if any hotel pools have diving boards any more?

Remember too, that cigarettes have had a "surgeon general's warning" on every pack since the 1960's.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM

23,972 posts, read 32,691,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Between libs and lawyers its days very well maybe numbered.

This liberal watches football in the fall.

Professional football is doing an excellent job of killing itself. I was a lifelong Cowboys fan, but I'm so fed up and disgusted by the franchise and the players' behavior that I can't bring myself to watch them anymore. Between Jerry Jones, intoxication manslaughter, ridiculous demands, embarrassing behavior, not to mention crappy performance...I'm done.

I'll still watch my Longhorns and the Green Bay Packers, but Mack Brown's starting to **** me off.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,347,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
He does make some good points.

If I had a kid, I probably wouldn't let them play football. 99% of kids will never make the NFL, it just isn't worth serious detrimental long term health effects for a hobby.
Over 90% of the children enrolled in my area's pee-wee football teams are from outside of the neighborhood. My cohort parents are either not allowing their children to play, or the children themselves have little interest in playing. What these children are playing in droves is soccer, lacrosse, and even intramural rugby among the older kids. If this keeps up in a few years this is going to have a big impact on college teams who will have a difficult time recruiting real student athletes. Big college ball will become even more of a farm league for an ever diminishing NFL.

Rugby and Aussie-rules football are both faster moving sports that are far safer than American football even though the players don't wear helmets. Frankly, the false sense of security of helmets, along with the rush-stop style of play that favors 300 lb sprinters are killing football.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,247,292 times
I have not watched a full football game in decades. Too much hype and too much delay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies