U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,648,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantHuman View Post
The millenials and Gen X that are having a tough time will hopefully save this country because they will have learned how to negotiate tough times.

The generation of the great depression went on to win WW2. Maybe history repeats itself
Tough times? What tough times? Those generations of people can't even tell time without a digital clock, or open a can with a can opener. They have no clue what is going on the world and all they care about is who wins the next American Idol. So please, save it. They have no clue what tough times are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:27 PM

12,172 posts, read 7,020,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Sorry but you aren't doing any "heavy lifting" of anything but BS. You were so uninformed as to think someone born in 1882 was a baby boomer so please forgive me if I laugh at your opinions.
The policy that most benefits boomers was implemented by Roosevelt.

Forgive me if I pity your ignorance.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 PM

50 posts, read 29,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Tough times? What tough times? Those generations of people can't even tell time without a digital clock, or open a can with a can opener. They have no clue what is going on the world and all they care about is who wins the next American Idol. So please, save it. They have no clue what tough times are.
Being in the 30s year old demographic that has lived in 5 states and an Army vet, I can tell you I have never have met anyone near my age as you describe. Yeah, it might exist but it is rare.

Prime time TV is geared towards older age demographics, not young people. Its the same reason why Jay Leno was brought back to the tonight show. American Idol is prime time TV.

However, I have met people above the age of 50 like you describe. In fact, there are infomercials for can openers marketed explicitly for them, self setting clocks and other goods for people who dont understand how to do things manually. The market for such things is very strong.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM

7,249 posts, read 6,646,883 times
No one disputed that and the only one who has displayed ignorance so far is you when you claimed a guy born in the 19th century was a baby boomer. Just admit you said something retarded and we can move on.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:35 PM

12,172 posts, read 7,020,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
No one disputed that and the only one who has displayed ignorance so far is you when you claimed a guy born in the 19th century was a baby boomer. Just admit you said something retarded and we can move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Wait, I thought liberals were in love with Roosevelt and LBJ?

Baby Boomers didn't implement the programs which allow them the lifestyle you so envy...it was the liberal Godfathers.

Your solution is to double or triple down.

You must have had a rough day at the drive-thru. You are mistaken.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:38 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,642,996 times
I am a boomer. I have to say that most of the OP is true, in my observation. The political decisions of the boomers have been a disaster. They have chosen to cut taxes repeatedly, disinvesting in infrastructure and educational institutions for future generations, flocked to the **** salesmen like Limbaugh and Beck, acted like victims when they were in fact priviledged, and allowed numerous bubbles to form, injecting the wealth of future generations into their bank accounts. In their pursuit of short-term gain, they ignored their responsibilities to their country. Like addicts spending the rent money on more crack.

But I don't think they are lazy or unproductive. Boomers are highly creative and actually crazy about work. What they seem to lack is a larger view of their role in society, especially the future. Boomers are looking out for boomers. Now. Of course, many boomers are terrific people, but what you don't see, generally, is the self-sacrifice and investment in future generations that former generations showed. In fact, the investments that boomers so richly enjoyed resulted from this, but they act like "they built it" alone.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 04-24-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM

50 posts, read 29,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am a boomer. I have to say that most of the OP is true, in my observation. The political decisions of the boomers have been a disaster. They have chosen to cut taxes repeatedly, disinvesting in infrastructure and educational instituions for future generations, flocked to the **** salesmen like Limbaugh and Beck, acted like victims when they were in fact priviledged, and allowed numerous bubbles to form, injecting the wealth of future generations into their bank accounts.

I don't think they are lazy or unproductive. Boomers are highly creative and crazy about work. What they seem to lack is a larger view of their role in society, especially the future. Boomers are looking out for boomers. Of course, many boomers are terrific people, but what you don't see, generally, is the investment in future generations that former generations showed. In fact, the investments that boomers so richly enjoyed.
Thanks for this post.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 PM

14,670 posts, read 10,561,660 times
I'm a baby boomer and I admit it. We are one of the most selfish generations to grace this country, probably the world. What is worse, we are raising our children to be even biggers takers and totally risk adverse.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,716,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Wait. I thought Bush destroyed the country.
He's a Baby Boomer.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM

12,663 posts, read 13,966,330 times
Hey Jack, babyboomers were as much the victims as they were the beneficiaries of what has happened. A small minority of them shelled out the livelihoods of the most of them. You really believe the entire generation had a hand in destroying our country? If that were the case, my 55 YO father wouldn't have spent 4 years of his life unemployed, after making a respectable living as an engineer. Now he cleans refrigeration equipment for money. I'm damn proud knowing he did everything he could to raise a right and proper family, and continues to do what he has to to get by.

People like you just want to pin labels and blame on specific groups because you really don't have a clue how the world works, or what has happened to this country. Go spread your filth somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies