U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 AM

3,846 posts, read 1,956,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Or more likely, they have enough evidence to convict him already but wanted to get any additional information out of him in order to protect us from other activities taking place that he knows about.

By not mirandizing him, he was more willing to spill the beans. From a government standpoint, he's already facing the death penalty..

Its a win for the individual not being mirandized, win for the government who gets more information, and a win for society who's safer, and not ONE law was broken or even bent.

Why is this a problem for most people to comprehend?
Maybe not.

It may be slippery - or it may be sticky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 AM

78,225 posts, read 33,343,867 times
Quote:
Or more likely, they have enough evidence to convict him already but wanted to get any additional information out of him in order to protect us from other activities taking place that he knows about.

By not mirandizing him, he was more willing to spill the beans. From a government standpoint, he's already facing the death penalty..

Its a win for the individual not being mirandized, win for the government who gets more information, and a win for society who's safer, and not ONE law was broken or even bent.

Why is this a problem for most people to comprehend?
Pretty much. He had admitted to the crime to others. He told the person that he car jacked that he was the bomber. Would this alone be enough to convict him? No, but they have a massive amount of evidence and will not need any statement from him to convict him.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Status: ""a mind that understands science"" (set 14 days ago)

18,857 posts, read 12,147,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
It seems obvious to me from your remarks that you believe in 'big brother' government and do not think Americans are entitled to the protection of our Constitution, Bill of Rights or other laws. I'm disappointed to see what sound like anti-American commentary on the forum.

"Anti-American"?

The guy is a Russian immigrant from Chechnya who gained citizenship only last year. He is an enemy of the US and western civilization. He, his mother, and his brother were welfare bums supported by the state he attacked.

The left is so insane today that it is not even funny anymore. Libs want more Muslims, more immigrants on welfare, and more "rights" for terrorists. Libs have become "fifth columnists" in the US who support enemies of the nation.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 AM

16,553 posts, read 11,473,224 times
Everyone is missing the point here. The FEDS gave the FBI permission to interview this scum for 48 hours WITHOUT MIRANDA, then they change their minds. This admin is as sleazy as it gets. Who cares about this kid, I'm not even sure he is a citizen, all we heard about was his brother becoming one in 2011, nothing was EVER said about the younger one. I may be wrong on that, but I haven't heard one thing or seen anything that says he was a citizen. Either way, my point stands, this admin agrees with terror tactics, always have.

UPDATE:

I found this, but this is contradicting what was said in earlier reports. It was initially reported that the OLDER brother became a citizen on 9/11/2011, now this says this?

Quote:
The network reported Friday afternoon that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev became an American citizen on Sept. 11, 2012.
Either one of the reports are wrong or they both became citizens on 9/11 a year apart? Something isn't right. There is BAD BAD reporting going on about this.

EDIT 2: Yep BAD reporting, now I see that the older brother WAS NOT a citizen. The media is in shambles, they suck big time.

Last edited by SourD; 04-25-2013 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,388,597 times
Quote:
There is no 48 hour mark for question, only for detaining.. Once again.

You can question someone FOREVER, without reading their miranda rights, as long as you arent using that information against them in court.
You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Right.

So in other words, interrogating him for 48 hours would be pointless if his statements couldn't be used against him in court.
No, it's not pointless. They could question about a wide range of activities outside of this particular event. No telling what they could learn that way.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,577,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You are correct.

No, it's not pointless. They could question about a wide range of activities outside of this particular event. No telling what they could learn that way.
I shouldve specified: Interrogating him about his alleged crimes in Boston would be pointless.

The FBI could very well extract information about possible terrorist connections, but I'm under the impression he and his brother acted alone.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM

7,465 posts, read 3,950,086 times
Quote:
The enemy combatant designation is not available to us citizens, on us soil.
U.S. Citizens can be designated as an "enemy combatant" even on U.S Soil.

José Padilla (prisoner) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On April 3, 2006, the Supreme Court declined, with three justices dissenting from denial of certiorari, to hear Padilla's appeal from the 4th Circuit Court's decision. It left the 4th Circuit court's ruling that the president had the power to designate and detain him as an "enemy combatant" without charges and with disregard to habeas corpus.[32]

Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,274,872 times
So why not continue the interrogation about things NOT related to this crime?

I am not surprised by the RWNJ rage over treating him as any other person accused of a crime. The RW's seem to think the protection of Law only applies to them and their friends. Everyone different from them does not deserve any more than a tall tree and a short rope. These fools do not want law but only rage driven revenge.

Thankfully it appears calmer heads have taken over and we just may see due process at work.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:03 AM

15,202 posts, read 18,224,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Before anyone wants to go off about "this guy has rights".. No he doesn't. He's a terrorist that is DEFINITELY guilty and not even a citizen.
It's probably been mentioned already (didn't bother reading thru 6 pages to find out), but he IS a citizen. He was naturalized on 9/11/2012.

I'd like to see this guy hanging by his toenails as much as anyone, but I'm not willing to let the government strip him of his rights, because if *he* is stripped of his rights, then *we all* are.

He's going to found guilty in a court of law. I have no worries about that. And if, by some freak chance, he is found not guilty, then I'm sure karma will find its way to him.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,398,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
NO he did not.
Stand corrected, but that would make him a non citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies