U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:43 PM

11,370 posts, read 18,572,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why stopping at blues artist, can we not think of any influential African American rock guitarist? If not, that's a sad commentary on the disconnect between African Americans and CONTEMPORARY influence on rock and roll.

Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, and Hendrix were not blues artist,

PPS - I know that by today's standards being half black, I hasten to point out that two of the most prominent rock guitarist have, as we old folks used to say, a Negro in the woodshed history. See Slash and Tom Morello.
Lenny Kravitz , love his songs

Hendrix was a rock guitarist but heavily swayed by blues enough to say he was a blues guitarists also, at the heart of most of his lead playing was the blues pentatonic and blues scale. Even the E chord in Purple Haze is what is loosely called the "blues chord" which is common used chord in rock specially classic rock and funk and often used in "The Doors" songs like "roadhouse blues".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,258,744 times
Quote:
Such fans are rare and far between. Let's be real the OP isn't far off the mark when it comes to the great unwashed metal fans in all their strange variants.
Rock evolved from the blues, which was primarily played by blacks back in the day. I am not sure why people would disagree with this nor find it controversial.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:46 PM

20,338 posts, read 13,847,660 times
Quote:
Why stopping at blues artist, can we not think of any influential African American rock guitarist? If not, that's a sad commentary on the disconnect between African Americans and CONTEMPORARY influence on rock and roll.

Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, and Hendrix were not blues artist,

PPS - I know that by today's standards being half black, I hasten to point out that two of the most prominent rock guitarist have, as we old folks used to say, a Negro in the woodshed history. See Slash and Tom Morello.
Not blues? Says you. In the world of rock there are blues trained guitarists and classically trained guitarists. Hendrix most certainly was a blues musician, not classical.

Steve Howe, lead guitarist for Yes - Classical
Jimmy Hendrix - Blues

Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
If you think today's music is generating rock n' roll, then you are sorely mistaken.

Do musical artists even play rock anymore?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM

11,370 posts, read 18,572,211 times
Blues Jazz and soul are iconic American culture that has influenced the world and countless musicians. I can't think of anything more American in culture than blues.

Some great international musicians are great blues , rock or jazz players, but they owe it to some blackman in the Mississipi delta from way back in the day.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Gibson LP View Post
p.s. Check out.... Tom Morello and many others.
I haven't heard much from Tom or SSSC later, but they showed promise with Boots.

Street Sweeper Social Club - 100 little curses - YouTube

Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 PM

20,338 posts, read 13,847,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Lenny Kravitz , love his songs

Hendrix was a rock guitarist but heavily swayed by blues enough to say he was a blues guitarists also, at the heart of most of his lead playing was the blues pentatonic and blues scale. Even the E chord in Purple Haze is what is loosely called the "blues chord" which is common used chord in rock specially classic rock and funk and often used in "The Doors" songs like "roadhouse blues".
And Hendrix's first band was "The Squires" a black R&B band in Harlem. (Got that off of his Wiki page )

Old 04-25-2013, 04:53 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,038,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Any rock fan worth his salt KNOWS rock owes its existence to black music and black musicians.

That whole thing with Pat Boone singing Tutti Frutti was a national disgrace.
Which brings up another point and a personal confession.

In the 60's I kept hearing about this Guitar God Eric Clapton and this so-called Queen of the blues Janis Joplin and saying to myself WTF! How is some British guy and some drunk disheveled girl from Texas the heirs to the thrown when Buddy Guy, Albert King, BB King, Lightin' Hopkins, Bo Diddley, Ike Turner, Hubert Sumlin, just to name a few were still playing live. And what the hell is a Janis Joplin when Erma Franklin (Aretha's sister) was still belting out "Piece of My Heart" to say nothing about Etta James? As a result I dismissed both, through no fault of their own, and deprived myself of many years of enjoying their truly prodigious talents (it is also one of the things that has kept me from really enjoying Stevie Ray Vaughn).

For me I fault the general public and the music press for causing such disaffection not the artist themselves because each of whom I have listed were abundantly clear and quite outspoken about the roots of their talent and influences often expressed with the upmost humility. Something their fans always seem to lack.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,038,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Some great international musicians are great blues , rock or jazz players, but they owe it to some blackman in the Mississipi delta from way back in the day.
In our praise let us not forget bluesmen and women in the Piedmont region, Texas and Tennessee.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,973,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural City Gal View Post
Can we discuss this? Can we also discuss that it's unfair how blacks are looked down upon when we enter a genre that we created, and that whites barely acknowledge us as the creators?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=JsXK1w0Yrm4

I was watching this on yt, and was shocked at the comments being made by whites.Are they really that oblivious?
No. At least I never have.

Lenny Kravitz - Are you gonna go my way (Nissan Live Sets 13/09/07) HQ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or