U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,048,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Let's not diminish the numbers by drawing lines between state benefits and federal benefits....it comes down to the same thing - people living off of the taxpayers. Call it welfare, public dole or whatever...it's all part of the single problem, isn't it.

And there's jobs out there...Hell what are the illegals doing here?...And don't give me the Bulls*** about below minimum wages - Any business person will pay a good worker their value. And I knew illegals getting $12 - $15 per hour...Because they were worth it.

HAHAHAHA You must be me. I've had jobs where everyone was paid minimum wage and there were no raises ever.

The worst manager to work for is one who is paid on the basis of store profit and whose goal is to amass as much cash as possible, as soon as possible, in order to buy a franchise.

When practiced to an extreme, this type of manager often degrades service in the pursuit of profit, to the point that the number crunchers catch on, and the suits make a store visit and fire the manager.

I've worked for two such managers and one was fired while I worked there.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-27-2013 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 PM

7,248 posts, read 6,665,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
States with highest black %s have highest welfare rates. Surprising.
You think that Arizona, South Dakota, West Virginia, and Oklamhoma have the largest black populations? Sorry, but your claim doesn't square with the facts.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
That is one of those things which makes headlines but which, when you dig deeper, really has no merit. For instance, in inner cities there are very few ATMs and the ones which are there are almost always at convinience stores (which you call liquor stores). Telling people they have to use an ATM then making it so they can't use the only ATMs with in miles of their house seems really stupid.

Point of information:

In some states, liquor sales are not restricted to liquor stores, and convenience stores can apply for a liquor license; Michigan is one such state, and liquor is available in many convenience stores until 2 am daily.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
They are leaving out one thing...the people working off the books - the underground economy which is vast in this country. And these scammers are being counted as living in poverty by these statistics.

And I'll repeat again...the people scamming the system are pimping, dealing, bookies, handymen, landscapers....on and on and on...Even the mobsters are scamming the welfare system....How about all the vending machines you see?...How does the government confirm how much income they are making for the owners?...Do you see calculators attached to them?...And how many vending machines do you see on a given day?

NPR, Pew, the government agencies...and all the other analytical sources are just out of touch with reality...Counting what you see is one thing...But you've got to learn to see every thing that should be counted.

It's a virtual lock that when you see a welfare recipient living large, they are scamming. It's generally difficult to live on welfare if that's all you've got. If you supplement your welfare benefits with off-the-books work, dealing a little drugs, getting under-the-table help from parents, grandparents, boyfriends, baby daddies, etc, you can live very well.

During the time right before welfare reform, one writer found that almost everyone on AFDC had some sort of unreported income on top of welfare, because they were otherwise unable to make ends meet.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Who says it's their card?

People rent out those cards all the time.

uh oh, i guess we need food stamp ID.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 PM

12,675 posts, read 14,010,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

Noncitizens make up a very small portion of SNAP participants – only 4% of participants are noncitizens (documented immigrants or refugees).

SNAP (Food Stamps): Facts, Myths and Realities
Well, there is the data that the government provides, and than there is the truth. I happen to believe the truth lies between their data and what many Americans actually suspect.

I worked for an employer who acquired most of their undocumented unskilled labor from temp services. Completely legal for any business to do, as they are not required to check. At any rate, I saw with my own eyes... Many of these folks did have food cards. They are called "link" here. Of course, since they were temps, they received no medical insurance, so they used the ER for their checkups. These folks are costing this country a lot of money at the end of the day. Much more than they are contributing. Actually stopping illegal immigration would go a long way towards reducing our nation's deficit.

Actually, one of the young ladies there (whose family paid something like $1500 to get her smuggled in) told me quite a bit about how she was able to get various forms of government assistance early on. There was even a program where they would deliver staples like beans, rice, dairy, etc to where she lived. I learned an awful lot about how the system really works when I took that job. She eventually was able to get a job in the plant where she could earn something over the poverty line, and actually do better by working OT. This also meant she was no longer a drain on the system, but a contributor. One of the very few success stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Lockheed Martin F-35 Fighters to Cost Another $771 M - ABC News

If some aho is gamming the system and going to a ttitty bar or buying crab legs and ripple on his baby's EBT benefits...his cost and all others like him are far less a concern to me, then all those really needing help... have the help.
Yup. Except, his spending is keeping a bunch of strippers and store clerks busy. When the government upgrades it's military arsenal, it keeps a lot of engineers, skilled tradesman and business owners busy. Hopefully, such demand can also absorb some of our young aspiring minds in these occupations. I would rather see a young engineer get the opportunity to help manufacture aircraft parts than a young stripper get the opportunity to work on parts of another variety.

Quote:
I think it's funny that there's worry about welfare fraud, when it's a very small percentage of the total.

On the other hand, corporations play the system to avoid paying billions in tax revenue to the U.S. and no one complains.
Both are wrong regardless of which is more damaging. And when folks minimize the impact of one wrong, they usually ignore the big picture. It's the sum total of every little bit of waste and fraud that is destroying this country.

Quote:
As for the last two findings, that's a lot, but it's still still peanuts compared to corporate welfare. Many of the biggest corporations pay zero federal taxes creating a loss of $14 billion a year in lost tax revenue.

Some companies pay more to CEOs than to Uncle Sam: study - Chicago Tribune
Than you need to point the finger at the government that allows them to get away with it. They are going to take every possible inch they can when it comes to gaining a competitive advantage. If the government lets them get by without paying their "fair share", of course they are going to minimize their tax burden. If you found a dollar on the floor, would you pick it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, I am working at this crap job for extra money to pay for my kids braces, it is Christmas Eve, and these women were given over the top gifts from charity organizations...."helping the poor", X Boxes, Wal Mart gift cards, with $500 on them. New Bikes, expensive clothes....the indigent women and their kids were having a better holiday, with a Honey Baked Ham, from the HoneyBake store....on their EBT cards...than I was having, I bought a cheap ham at Wal Mart, and my kids got some shoes and jeans for Christmas. The drug addicts were better off then me...and they treated me that way too...."How much do you make at this job?"...like I was the "idiot"....
It's plain to see, the poor in our nation has a higher standard of living than the middle class in many other countries. Heck, our poor lives better than the upper middle class of most any developing nation. Why do you think we are importing poverty at such high rates? Everyone want's to be poor in America because the government has made it so comfortable. And you're right, a lot of us do have to work hard to achieve the same standard of living. It's very easy to spend money you did not earn. For the rest of us, we're stuck saving a good chunk of our money for a rainy day or for retirement. The welfare crowd doesn't have to worry about retirement. Theirs is backed and guaranteed by us! In the end, we are all enjoying the same lifestyle. Communism lives!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,669,234 times
If living off the work of others is evil, why is no one going after the usurers? It's what Jesus would do!! But even disregarding my man Jesus, it's still the same thing: living off the backs of others.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They have the right the same as anyone else. Here is the key.... GET A JOB and pay for it themselves.

Not good enough for some Republicans. In Ann Arbor, the Salvation Army wanted to open a rooming house for employed men within walking distance of downtown so that minimum wage workers could walk to their jobs instead of commuting from surrounding areas.

Republicans raised a fuss, citing prospects of drugs, crime, and other social ills, and as there was an election coming up, that was the end of that proposal.

Class warfare plays out locally across America, and it's not the poor who are winning.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Today government at all levels spends around $1 trillion a year on means tested anti-poverty programs. And that amount is just going up and up. Total federal and state welfare spending rose from $431 billion in 2000 to $927 billion in 2011.

America on Welfare | Cato Institute
That claim is bogus, as just about everything from CATO is bogus. It is including earned benefits like Social Security, Medicare, and even veteran's benefits as "welfare". That's just typical of the sloppy and dishonest partisan nonsense which comes out of CATO.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
uh oh, i guess we need food stamp ID.
As someone previously posted the rate of food stamp fraud has fallen dramatically since the introduction of the debit card allowing them to electronically track purchases.

"The national rate of food stamp trafficking declined from about 3.8 cents per dollar of benefits redeemed in 1993 to about 1.0 cent per dollar during the years 2006 to 2008. USDA is aggressively fighting trafficking, but while there are individual cases of program abuse, for every one instance of fraud, there are hundreds of stories of heartbreaking need. "

http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/menu/pub...icking2006.pdf

So the good news is moving the program to an electronic debt card has resulting in fraud detection rates going way up so now fraud is at a record low of just ~1% of all cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or