Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Wow. Way to overgeneralize! I worked in Family Support for two different state DHS agencies for lengthy times in both positions. There are undoubtedly people who scam the system, but in my experience and that of my colleagues, this is not the case that often.

For one thing, there ARE easy methods each state has to determine whether someone is earning a paycheck. With about two keystrokes in the right database I can see the quarterly income for everyone with a social security number, so if someone claims to not have a job, that is easily proven true or false.

Obviously there ARE people who do things like donate plasma, collect recyclables, perform other types of self-employment, or sell drugs or resort to prostitution to bolster their income while still remaining eligible for SNAP benefits on paper.

But the majority of people I helped connect with social services were working people who earned too little, the elderly, and some people with physical or developmental disabilities.

If a DHS worker is interviewing a SNAP applicant, for example, the applicant has to provide some kind of proof of how their rent and bills are being paid if that is their situation. It is a gray area to a degree, but I had an awful lot of people who were self-employed that would submit a quarterly self-income log of their earnings, then provide proof of those earnings by submitting their tax returns when they became available.

A little common sense, work experience and delving into some case histories makes it not too difficult a thing to navigate around and get a sense of who is on the up-and-up and who is a scammer.

They are not all scammers, nor all they all minorities, nor are they all uneducated as the above poster claims with his baseless drivel.

Hmm. That's news to me. Please provide some specific examples of this. The agencies you speak of and how exactly they skirt around policy and regulations, who it benefits, how much, etc.

Otherwise, I'm just going to rightly assume that you have nothing to base such assertions on, but it's just some BS you pulled out of your butt and presented as fact to try (badly) to make it appear as if you know what you are talking about.

Hear, hear. Well and truly spoken.

Too true. But we must bow to our corporate overlords so that they'll allow us to be rich one day too, right?

Well put
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The opportunity, just like the rest of us. It's as simple as that.
Are you saying you expected special treatment?[/quote]

This is so pathetic. Way to duck and evade and avoid a simple, honest question based directly on something you said.

You made the claim that "Republicans kept offering a hand up to blacks."

And when I ask (repeatedly) what the hand up consisted of, your response is "The opportunity?"

Like 99% of everything else you say here, just baseless, meaningless drivel.

Wy don't you actually at least try to back up what you said? What "hand up" did the Republican Party keep offering black people? Was there someting the Republicans were offering black people or people of any other color that the Democratic Party was not? What was the specific "hand up" the Republicans kept offering black people?

If you are just going to stick wth "the opportunity" as a (non) answer, then what opportunity or opportunities are you speaking of? Was there some proposed bill, policy or legislation within the Republican Party that offered a "hand up" to black people?

Quote:
Are you saying you expected special treatment?
What are you talking about? What did I ever say that would elad you to say such a thing about any expectations of mine? You have serious deficits in reading comprehension apparently. It would seem you don't even comprehend what you yourself said only very recently.

You made this claim quite clearly. Why can't you at least in part delineate what the hell you were talking about?

Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
lol, and you did not do the same thing when you cheered Obama on when he went after what he calls the rich. First, you do not know the difference between rich and high income and you know very little if anything about how small business runs yet you based your opinion on what Obama told you, you bought Obama's propaganda showing your ignorance to the truth.

Shame, SHAME on you simetime!
No I voted like the majority of the country for the lessor of two evils. Oh incidentally to someone who earns less than 40,000 a year of ACTUAL work ANYONE making over a million a year in their eyes is considered to be rich.

Personally the way that I look at it is that anyone that makes over 30 million a year is wealthy, being rich as I implied earlier is a matter of perspective. Anyone on welfare or is struggling can care less what your personal definition of who is rich and who is high income all that they know is that in both cases those people are doing better than them.

To answer your question, you can obtain high income and become either rich or wealthy since both are a frame of mind and cannot be measured finanically. Apparently you are so caught up in your own business world you seem to have forgotten that.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Corporate profits depend on serving their customer well. What do welfare recipients do to serve the government well. Oh, that's right, they vote for democrats.
The poor and the middle class are the consumers of this country, if they can't buy things the economy suffers as a whole. Unless you are producing just high end items you will never see anyone of the top 5% in your store.

Since you want to be crass, only the racist, ignorant and well-off vote straight republican on all issues.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:52 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
I try and inform people all the time they seem to get Welfare & food Stamps confused. They are very different things, and everyone just cant get welfare.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
oh yea, I forgot, NOTHING is ever our lord and savior, Obama's fault
I never said that but you and your cohorts always tend to forget about Congress role in the economy

Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Why do you support a president that is contributing to corporate welfare as well as taking from hard working Americans.

You are such a waste of time simetime. You are so hard ass Obama that you can't see the very things Obama is doing that is hurting you. Oh well, keep hoping, because hope and change is all you still have after 4 + years. Keep hanging in there simetime
Of course the truth is a waste of your time because you and a couple of myopic people that share your limted views cannot understand no matter who is in the W.H the situation will remain the same. For some reason you have a hard-on for the president even when somewhere in your little distorted mind you refuse to admit that the Congress/Senate are just as cupable for what is going on in this country as the president.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
For you P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C- people who group all these people who receive benefits should be ashamed of yourselves. I know plenty of people who work 40+ hours a week with 3+ kids, and receive benefits to supplement what they cant afford. They still have to put money with their Food Stamps because what they receive is not on that chart. If you people would read it says MAXIMUM winch mean most people will not even get close to getting that. Illegals cant even get benefits. Unemployed people have a limit , and can only receive benefits for three months out of a three year period.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
I think it's a BS report.

However....I don't want 10 cents of my tax dollars going to some louse.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:59 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
More facts on welfare:

"Many families still have to make tough choices between a meal and paying for other basic necessities.

In 2010 nearly half of the households seeking food assistance reported having to choose between paying for utilities or heating fuel and food.

Nearly 40 percent said they had to choose between paying for rent or a mortgage and food.

More than a third reported having to choose between their medical bills and food."

http://www.sodexofoundation.org/hung...150-155150.pdf
Then why are they having children they cannot afford? And how much PERSONAL money of yours have you invested into these programs? How many checks have you written to fund them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies