U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 AM

66,524 posts, read 30,342,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
My question is what constitutes as "public resource assistance" are you talking about cash assistance, TANF, or the other things that help people get off of their feet?
How many of them actually get off of the various forms of welfare (there are over 80 means-tested public assistance programs)? For example, there are more people on food stamps than ever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How proud the left must be that the president is known as the "welfare president". What an accomplishment!
Yep. That's a very fitting title for Obama.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
After reading this whole thread, and even after years of reading on here and other american political forums things that make my skin crawl, I actually find myself in deep shock.

What in the world do some of you people think that a society is? Or what is the point of economy? Aren't developped countries supposed to be that exactly? Developped? Civilized?

As a French citizen, I won't say that I'm happy when comes the time to write that “tax check”, but when it is more this year than the year before, I don't feel angry, it means I made more than the previous year.
You feel that way because in your country, the tax structure is much more fair to all:

In direct contrast, here in the U.S., we have a progressive tax structure. What that does is enables a LARGE percentage of the U.S. population to leech off of the rest who are actually forced by threat of imprisonment to pay for the artificial support of those who do not contribute enough to their own support and to our society's expenses.

That has deeply polarized U.S. society to a very ugly degree. We're diametrically opposed into two classes:
1) the tax slaves (contributors)
2) the takers (parasites)

Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,371,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOBama View Post
Oregon (#2) RED? Ever been to Oregon?

Blue balls is more like it.
Red states outside of the south don't seem to have these problems. Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, North Dakota and Utah have some of the lowest levels of welfare and food stamp usage. It's not a red state issue, it's a poverty & demographics issue.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 AM

35,501 posts, read 10,519,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
SNAP= Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

What does the word supplemental mean? It does not be full replacing 100% of the required food intake.

It's supplemental "Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole".

supplemental - definition of supplemental by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

True. Also, let's not forget the school breakfast and lunch programs, and the many after-school food programs, along with the summer food programs to address "hungry kids" when school's not in session. Interesting how the SNAP benefits don't decrease given the number of such institutional supplemental nutrition programs. If any child is starving in this country, s/he should be removed from the home.

Then there's Medicaid, medical transportation, housing grants, home energy grants, education grants, additional cash grants, daycare subsidies...Thanks to the largesse of taxpayers, in NY, even that $15/hr minimum wage proposal wouldn't be as good a deal. And that doesn't even include the mother of all redistribution schemes, the EITC.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:28 AM

21,660 posts, read 11,130,115 times
Old retired people are getting the shaft.. they put their years in and get a paltry Social Security check and are being robbed by the banks giving them NO INTEREST on the money they saved...I see old people hunting for bargains in day old bins and go to Big Lots food aisles to eat.

I see healthy able bodied people buying stacks of meat with their EBT cards with individual sized bottled sodas, and expensive packaged cut vegetables and exotic foods. This country is going down hill..

The older crowds will look for the bargains and it is sad how they have to... they know how to stretch a dollar to make ends meet and now they have to do without. Thank Obama when their health care is cut when Obama robbed them of 800 billion out of medicare.. all of you will get old.as things progress with the progressives... you will be lucky to get a crumb of food or healthcare when you get old.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Old retired people are getting the shaft.. they put their years in and get a paltry Social Security check and are being robbed by the banks giving them NO INTEREST on the money they saved...I see old people hunting for bargains in day old bins and go to Big Lots food aisles to eat.
I see that a lot, too. ZIRP is robbing them blind even as QE further devalues their savings.

Quote:
I see healthy able bodied people buying stacks of meat with their EBT cards with individual sized bottled sodas, and expensive packaged cut vegetables and exotic foods. This country is going down hill..
Agree 100%.

This country is done...

Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM

1,082 posts, read 440,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You feel that way because in your country, the tax structure is much more fair to all:

In direct contrast, here in the U.S., we have a progressive tax structure. What that does is enables a LARGE percentage of the U.S. population to leech off of the rest who are actually forced by threat of imprisonment to pay for the artificial support of those who do not contribute enough to their own support and to our society's expenses.

That has deeply polarized U.S. society to a very ugly degree. We're diametrically opposed into two classes:
1) the tax slaves (contributors)
2) the takers (parasites)
It is progressive here also, how could you think it is not?

I don't understand your graphic as it lacks legends (and sources but let's leave that out for a moment) but if you mean that we all pay taxes (if you didn't mean not progressive which I told you just above that is not true), no, that is not the case either. Only 53.5% of what is called "fiscal foyer" here pay taxes, the rest don't. Here's one link. Qui paie l'impôt en France ?. (sorry it is in french, you'll read it or someone can for you, I don't know if you talk the language)

That doesn't mean the ones who don't are parasites, it just means they earn too little to participate! (as taxes are progressive) But they don't ask for anything, they just don't earn enough to pay taxes. And a small percentage of those need help. Which was my point. A society takes care of its community.

But then we all pay some taxes eventually : how about sales tax in the USA and TVA here? Those are taxes that everybody pay, even the poorest of the poor! It's not only what you pay as national/federal taxes that counts.

(and i laugh inside as many people in the USA called it as communism back when now President of France suggested in his campaign a 75% tax for those who earned over 1.000.000€ )

Please be coherent and stand your ground. Or else explain to me where I understood you wrong. But you can't both say that european countries tax too much and also say that we have a "more fair' system.

(please, can someone tell me if one can say "fairer", because I learned that with short words you should just add "er" for a superior comparision but that just seems weird. Ok sorry for the off topic )

Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

The older crowds will look for the bargains and it is sad how they have to... they know how to stretch a dollar to make ends meet and now they have to do without. Thank Obama when their health care is cut when Obama robbed them of 800 billion out of medicare.. all of you will get old.as things progress with the progressives... you will be lucky to get a crumb of food or healthcare when you get old.
If the Fed gets its way it will get worse.
Banks may starting charging deposit fees greater than the interest they earn which results in a negative interest rate with them losing money each month even if they do nothing.

This was in the last Fed minutes.
What is holding them back is the fear of the unknown.
They do not know if people will start taking their money out of the banks or just ignore it.

Who would ignore losing money each month while it's in the bank ?
At that point keeping your money at home under the mattress is a no brainer.

Don't dis Big Lots so quick..they have some good deals on brands people don't buy in mass.
No one seems to like Old Fashioned Oats anymore..takes a whole 10 minutes to cook.
Big Lots still carries it.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM

21,660 posts, read 11,130,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If the Fed gets its way it will get worse.
Banks may starting charging deposit fees greater than the interest they earn which results in a negative interest rate with them losing money each month even if they do nothing.

This was in the last Fed minutes.
What is holding them back is the fear of the unknown.
They do not know if people will start taking their money out of the banks or just ignore it.

Who would ignore losing money each month while it's in the bank ?
At that point keeping your money at home under the mattress is a no brainer.

Don't dis Big Lots so quick..they have some good deals on brands people don't buy in mass.
No one seems to like Old Fashioned Oats anymore..takes a whole 10 minutes to cook.
Big Lots still carries it.
Yes, but the EBT card holders don't look for those bargains.. the elderly have to.. and I give them credit to stretch their shrinking dollar.. the takers don't do that because it is all free so they just expect that next EBT card to recharge with more food buying power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or