U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 09:01 AM

8,487 posts, read 5,907,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but the OP's first statement of "total number of Americans on welfare" is listed at 4,300,000 when the link provided says its is 12,800,000..am i missing something here..
That is why I posted this earlier. There is no program or fund called welfare. Never has been. It is a headline generalization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
The use of imprecise "headline" terminology should always be examined in detail by specific accounting and stats. There is no accounting group called "Welfare".
How much do we REALLY spend on Welfare?
quote:
According to the government printing offices’ historical tables, table 3.2: Oulays by Function and Subfunction, that spending is broken down into 6 distinct subfunctions.
  1. General retirement and disability insurance
  2. Federal employee retirement and disability
  3. Unemployment compensation
  4. Housing assistance
  5. Food and nutrition assistance
  6. Other income security
That would be 5.5% of the unified budget. I counted off-budget programs since the pie graphs in the beginning counted social security and other “off-budget” accounts. If you only want to go with on-budget expenditures it’s 6.4%, still a far cry from the 12% that most internet graphs will show you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,544,616 times
Quote:
That is why I posted this earlier. There is no program or fund called welfare. Never has been. It is a headline generalization.
There are 83 means tested social welfare programs in the US.
Obamacare makes that 84 now.
Did you know we have SEVEN different milk programs, each staffed and run by different groups ?
And the last one is the Special Milk Program that qualifies anyone who didn't qualify for the other 6 milk programs

medicare and SS are not included as they are not means tested.

The 83 means tested programs cost over $1 trillion a year to run and is rising at 20% annually.
That number is bound to change given that Obamacare hasn't started yet.
And Obamacare is a means tested program.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:07 AM

18 posts, read 12,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'd also like to point out that food stamps does not allow someone to buy luxurious food like filet mignon, salmon, king crab, ribeye, etc. in decent quantities like so many tea partiers have allegedly witnessed on here. $250 a month per person is not a lot of food and usually is enough to buy cheap, unhealthy, per-processed crap and soft drinks. $1.80 for a 2 liter soda or almost $4.50+ for a gallon of milk. Talk about the easy life
250 is more than. I can afford to pay per month pp on food.

Your absurd. Food stamp is supposed to augment food budget not replace it.

Ridiculous

Old 12-22-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Did you know we have SEVEN different milk programs, each staffed and run by different groups ?
And the last one is the Special Milk Program that qualifies anyone who didn't qualify for the other 6 milk programs

The 83 means tested programs cost over $1 trillion a year to run and is rising at 20% annually.
Every article I see speaks very generally and grays specifics which do not need graying. The way one follows the money is to get specific program names, funds and budgets.
Yes, obamacare is a much larger graying, for sure.

The article I posted was from 2010 btw.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Every article I see speaks very generally and grays specifics which do not need graying. The way one follows the money is to get specific program names, funds and budgets.
And that is done on purpose.

One Congressman did just that..comb through the budget and pull out all the means tested programs along with their cost.

The US spends more on means tested welfare than any other program in the US budget.

Govt spent $1.028 trillion on welfare in FY 2011 | The Daily Caller

Here's the CRS report:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/110366590/...come-FY08-FY11

Old 12-22-2013, 10:33 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,668,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Thank you for clearing that up
It is a required fee on our cell phone bills by the US Govt. Since the US Govt requires the fee, I would call it a tax.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
And that is done on purpose.

One Congressman did just that..comb through the budget and pull out all the means tested programs along with their cost.

The US spends more on means tested welfare than any other program in the US budget.

Govt spent $1.028 trillion on welfare in FY 2011 | The Daily Caller

Here's the CRS report:
[scribd]110366590[/scribd]
Yeah I saw that article. I am all too aware it is intentional. Just like they fail to mention that the only reason the govt does any of it is to acquire wealth. That article only addresses it from the budget side. Most do.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It is a required fee on our cell phone bills by the US Govt. Since the US Govt requires the fee, I would call it a tax.
And not even per household but per phone line.
Yup..it's an FCC mandated tax collected by the phone companies.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah I saw that article. I am all too aware it is intentional. Just like they fail to mention that the only reason the govt does any of it is to acquire wealth. That article only addresses it from the budget side. Most do.
There are other articles out there that plug in the holes.

JPMorgan makes an easy $5 billion per year on just SNAP processing.
And as more programs go electronic they grab them. UE is another big one.

Three international food service companies get all the business for the free breakfast/lunch programs in school.
Meanwhile you have posters here that think Joe Farmer and his wife are getting that money like it was still 1930.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 AM

17,825 posts, read 20,235,372 times
Quote:

The information I have says there were 79 means tested social welfare programs in the US, as of April 17, 2012. Federal spending for those 79 programs in 2011 was $717 billion. State contributions for those 79 federal programs in 2011 was $210 billion. Bringing the total spent on federal means tested social welfare programs to $927 billion.

Each of the programs are listed by name, with both their associated federal spending amounts, and state spending amounts: Examining the Means-tested Welfare State: 79 Programs and $927 Billion in Annual Spending --- The Heritage Foundation Congressional Testimony, April 17, 2012 [PDF]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or