U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 10:45 AM

8,487 posts, read 5,904,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There are other articles out there that plug in the holes.

JPMorgan makes an easy $5 billion per year on just SNAP processing.
And as more programs go electronic they grab them. UE is another big one.

Three international food service companies get all the business for the free breakfast/lunch programs in school.
Meanwhile you have posters here that think Joe Farmer and his wife are getting that money like it was still 1930.
Those holes don't get fully plugged. The incoming side is always by design harder to track. Yes I am aware. One has only to look at who owns JPM stock to see why. JPM was also outsourcing it to India.
Sadly, this seems to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 AM

903 posts, read 594,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
No, I did not fall for any scam, quite the opposite. But the bad economy did effect me and my family as it did for most and still does.

That "chit happens" is not so. It was done 100% on purpose. Also that "Ch*t "beyond our control happens" almost threw the world into the greatest depression. And above all it was preventable.
We are not out of the woods yet. The Great Deception is well on it's course.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The information I have says there were 79 means tested social welfare programs in the US, as of April 17, 2012. Federal spending for those 79 programs in 2011 was $717 billion. State contributions for those 79 federal programs in 2011 was $210 billion. Bringing the total spent on federal means tested social welfare programs to $927 billion.

Each of the programs are listed by name, with both their associated federal spending amounts, and state spending amounts: Examining the Means-tested Welfare State: 79 Programs and $927 Billion in Annual Spending --- The Heritage Foundation Congressional Testimony, April 17, 2012 [PDF]
I guess different articles might be off a few programs here and there.
These programs are spread out across several agencies.

And the newest means tested program (obamacare) starts in 9 days.
Expanded medicaid and premiums and out of pocket subsidies.

From your link..I found this interesting and rather eye opening:

Since the beginning of the War on Poverty, government has spent $19.8 trillion (in inflation-adjusted 2011 dollars) on means-tested welfare. In comparison, the cost of all military wars in U.S. history from the Revolutionary War through the current war in Afghanistan has been $6.98 trillion (in inflation-adjusted 2011 dollars).3 The War on Poverty has cost three times as much as all other wars combined.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM

903 posts, read 594,791 times
Quote:
There are other articles out there that plug in the holes.

JPMorgan makes an easy $5 billion per year on just SNAP processing.
And as more programs go electronic they grab them. UE is another big one.

Three international food service companies get all the business for the free breakfast/lunch programs in school.
Meanwhile you have posters here that think Joe Farmer and his wife are getting that money like it was still 1930.
On top of that, each transaction gives the retailer $1.50
Costco even jumped in on that.

In our area, nearly 40% of the transactions at the local grocery chain are SNAP.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:58 AM

17,825 posts, read 20,228,396 times
Quote:

Since the beginning of the War on Poverty, government has spent $19.8 trillion (in inflation-adjusted 2011 dollars) on means-tested welfare. In comparison, the cost of all military wars in U.S. history from the Revolutionary War through the current war in Afghanistan has been $6.98 trillion (in inflation-adjusted 2011 dollars).3 The War on Poverty has cost three times as much as all other wars combined.
I say we cut our losses on LBJ's "War on Poverty" and "The Great Society" and return the function of enacting social programs back to the States where they belong. Clearly the federal government has made a pig's breakfast of it. Which probably explains why the founding fathers never gave the federal government the constitutional authority to implement social programs in the first place.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:00 AM

8,487 posts, read 5,904,785 times
Quote:

This is also by design. CAFRs are very useful, but all of the wealth is connected in one massive system and much is hidden in plain site because it is so spread out. Though the "black" stuff goes further than just "spreading" it out.

There is the direct approach and the indirect approach both benefit the same group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Not really anything new here. Same players, really the same game, as well.
The Truth About QE, The Deficit, And GDP Growth
quote:
But it seems clear that deficit spending, and not QE, has been the important source of our economic recovery since the great recession. It is also obvious why few politicians are interested in serious reduction of budget deficits any time soon, certainly while they expect to continue in office. Something would seem to be amiss in the economy if the fact of running an excessive fiscal deficit can be viewed as a good thing.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I say we cut our losses on LBJ's "War on Poverty" and "The Great Society" and return the function of enacting social programs back to the States where they belong. Clearly the federal government has made a pig's breakfast of it. Which probably explains why the founding fathers never gave the federal government the constitutional authority to implement social programs in the first place.
Once states gave it away they will never get it back.
And you got the likes of JPMorgan to deal with then.

The Fed will never give up what it was given.
And we've just handed over education to them via Common Core and health insurance via Obamacare.

The road we are on is a one way street my friend.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:41 AM

39,262 posts, read 20,365,893 times
Quote:

War on Poverty cost $19.8 trillion
Afghanistan War $6.98

We need to pull out of all wars.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Afghanistan War $6.98

We need to pull out of all wars.
You didn't read that right..ALL the wars we fought from the Revolutionary War to the Afghanistan war cost $6.98 trillion.

We've spend three times more on welfare than all the wars we every fought in the history of the US

Old 12-22-2013, 11:45 AM

39,262 posts, read 20,365,893 times

$19.8 trillion, that’s how much American taxpayers have forked over in the name of helping the poor since 1964. And the poor are "demanding more". And what do we have to show for it? A poverty rate that has barely budged, an entrenched bureaucracy, and a population like that of Greece — increasingly dependent on government handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or