U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,679 posts, read 9,770,365 times
Reputation: 9725

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
I am ashamed at some of the posters on this thread.
The American children don't deserve ... (FILL IN THE BLANKS)
"No one should suffer because they lack {fill in the blank}" should be prefaced with "No one should be compelled to labor for the benefit of another, so that..." because slavery is not an acceptable solution to the ills of mankind.

I have yet to find a socialist who wasn't generous with other people's money.

SHAME ON THE "TAKERS" !

(My mistake - socialist thieves and pirates have no shame...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 PM
 
1,127 posts, read 770,074 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
"No one should suffer because they lack {fill in the blank}" should be prefaced with "No one should be compelled to labor for the benefit of another, so that..." because slavery is not an acceptable solution to the ills of mankind.

I have yet to find a socialist who wasn't generous with other people's money.

SHAME ON THE "TAKERS" !

(My mistake - socialist thieves and pirates have no shame...)
I'm willing to bet that you personally know zero socialists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM
 
39,086 posts, read 20,179,833 times
Reputation: 12639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Like I said, these crazies whine that poor people have babies, yet demonize birth control and abortion.
Like I said, if you can't afford birth control then you should not play. Gosnell case. The doctor who is accused of snipping the spines of babies after they were born alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 PM
 
39,086 posts, read 20,179,833 times
Reputation: 12639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
I'm willing to bet that you personally know zero socialists.
Oh look at Jolly Green, defending welfare.

Socialism requires people to submit to the rule of law. In return for their compliance, citizens are provided with resources rationed by the government, ie... Welfare.

Liberalism asserts that aside from ensuring economic and political security, it is also the government’s job to interfere with people’s day-to-day affairs in order to maintain social security. Liberalism, in effect, can be compared to socialism, because both of them assert that the government can effectively uplift its citizens by seizing control of the economy or private institutions. Class warfare / Redistribution / Welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 PM
 
1,127 posts, read 770,074 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh look at Jolly Green, defending welfare.

Socialism requires people to submit to the rule of law. In return for their compliance, citizens are provided with resources rationed by the government, ie... Welfare.

Liberalism asserts that aside from ensuring economic and political security, it is also the government’s job to interfere with people’s day-to-day affairs in order to maintain social security. Liberalism, in effect, can be compared to socialism, because both of them assert that the government can effectively uplift its citizens by seizing control of the economy or private institutions.
Whatever you say professor Beck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 PM
 
39,086 posts, read 20,179,833 times
Reputation: 12639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Whatever you say professor Beck.
Too hard for you to admit. Yea, just kep defending taking money from other people and then try to justify it and try to pass it off as moral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 PM
 
131 posts, read 166,439 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
There is a lot of misinformation about welfare so I thought I'd make a thread specifically about the facts so that, in the future, we can have more informed discussions about the topic. First of all how much is spent on welfare, who is on welfare, and in what states is welfare most common?

Here are some facts:
Source: Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

Map of which states have the lowest welfare rate as a percentage of population (lowest = 1st place) to states with the highest welfare participation rate as a percentage of population (50 = highest).



Finally, we can consider food stamps (SNAP) which technically isn't welfare as it isn't run by the department of health and human services and instead is run by the department of agriculture under the farm subsidy program. Here is a graph with the percentage of population receiving food stamps by state.

Percent of State Population Participating in SNAP Program, FY2011


Source: Author's calculations using U.S. Department of Agriculture data.
Proposed rules give states more power to fight food stamp fraud | CSG Knowledge Center

Hopefully these facts will help produce more knowledgable discussion on this topic instead of the usual demagoguery.
Interesting; I was always led to believe that welfare was a blanket term for anything that includes Social programs which include section 8, SSI, SNAP, and etc. What is 'welfare' then since only 4.3 million Americans happen to be included?

SN: I'm not attacking you nor your figures, but I would like to know what distinguishes welfare from the rest of what was stated in this post. Maybe its considered welfare when one receives all the benefits in one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 11:10 PM
 
8,223 posts, read 10,712,645 times
Reputation: 7580
Gooooo Jersey....we have the lowest rate of welfare..
Yay!!

Interesting.....the southern states have the highest number of welfare receipents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 PM
 
2,733 posts, read 2,975,828 times
Reputation: 2211
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Not surprisingly, and brightest red states also have the most welfare recipients.
The statistics quoted are % of population on welfare. This is different than the number of welfare cases per state. CA (at over 1M) has almost as many as the next top 4 states: NY, TX, PA, and MI. Some would assert that this translates into votes.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 11:45 PM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,933,348 times
Reputation: 4547
Welfare, or redistribution of income, is not flowing the way we conventionally think of it. It is flowing upward.

"There has been a redistribution away from the bottom and middle, and almost all of what's been redistributed has gone to the very top, the top 1 percent."


CBO, "Trends in the Distribution of Household Income"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top