Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:02 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
How do you have a graduate degree and not know how to work statistics among dissimilar population sizes?
That was my question, too. What educational institution bestows a graduate degree in "Public Policy" upon someone who has NO clue how to interpret population-based statistics?

Was it some cheesy community college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:18 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'd also like to point out that food stamps does not allow someone to buy luxurious food like filet mignon, salmon, king crab, ribeye, etc. in decent quantities like so many tea partiers have allegedly witnessed on here. $250 a month per person is not a lot of food and usually is enough to buy cheap, unhealthy, per-processed crap and soft drinks. $1.80 for a 2 liter soda or almost $4.50+ for a gallon of milk. Talk about the easy life
True .

Old 03-03-2015, 07:49 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
just like the murder number you guys use to make it appear as if half of all blacks committed a murder.
you guys love that 50 percent number. too bad you never mention there were only 14,000 murders and that there are 35 million blacks in the us, which means 0.0002 percent of blacks killed someone in 2013.
Again it's about percentages. The reason why many of those that are murdered as well as the reasons why many of those are on welfare will fly right over your little head as it often does with those who falsely portray the race card because they don't have facts, logic, and reason to use.

Quote:
the white conservative male will trot out that 50 percent number intentionally distorting black crime to attempt to smear the black population. you'll never see them mention that 0.0002 number.
Thank you for proving my point about the race card players. The laughable part is how the hypocrisy of your bigoted statement flies over your head.

Quote:
the white conservative male always deflects from whites onto blacks, and always attempts to smear blacks.
Thank you for proving my point about the race card players. The laughable part is how the hypocrisy of your bigoted statement flies over your head.

Quote:
keep trying to make a boogeyman like usual.
keep falsely playing the race card as you avoid the truth. Your inability to take the thought process to the next level while spewing out vile bigoted garbage is pathetic. Your repugnant post has nothing to do with your sex, or race, or what political party you belong too. It is solely based on you as an individual.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I see the conversation is turning into a "it's the blacks" conversation lol.

As a black person, I don't think that it is a disgrace to black people to highlight the fact that the percentages of black Americans using SNAP and welfare cash payment is higher than whites is a smear on the black population. If anything, it is a smear on the white population, many of whom have and continue to support a society which denies black people the same opportunities for employment and quality education as other demographics.

Contrary to what many of you think, generational wealth is a real thing. I am the first generation in my family born post Civil Rights. My grandmother and great grandparents were denied specific jobs, the ability to purchase homes in specific neighborhoods and the opportunity to attend high quality schools and due to that, I started out behind a typical white child with people who had parents/grandparents/great grandparents with a similar educational background in their family. My grandmother was a college graduate as were many great great aunts/uncles and cousins in my family. They could only be employed as lower level clerks /delivery persons, janitors, or domestics unlike whites and even white immigrants who had the same educational achievement. So things are not on an equal footing and won 't be IMO for another 100 years as long as progress keeps occurring.

That said, over 50% of black people were in poverty in my grandmother's generation due to systematic racism and prejudice which penetrated every level of life for black people in this country no matter geographic location. Today, that rate has been cut in half. In another 50 years I think it will be cut in half again and that is a good thing.

Just wanted to chime in and let you all know, you can blame blacks all you want but please acknowledge that generational opportunities, especially those afforded to our grandparents directly attributes to the outcome of the children.

So if you want someone to blame for blacks on welfare, blame your white grandparents who denied opportunities for advancement to black people in this country for hundreds of years.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:00 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Again it's about percentages. The reason why many of those that are murdered as well as the reasons why many of those are on welfare will fly right over your little head as it often does with those who falsely portray the race card because they don't have facts, logic, and reason to use.
Probably has something to do with us being a few generations removed from Jim Crow laws in the South and while the North/West didn't have legislated segregation and racism it was still pretty tough for blacks.

I'm not sure how many generations will need to pass before above is no longer a good excuse. On the other side of the coin, having babies early and not finishing high school are things that affect all races.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Welfare is necessary now, in the short past, and most certainly the future. We are living longer and no longer are self sufficient, instead everything is mechanized and automated now. We need to find a better way to do welfare because we will have a lot of idle people as jobs become more and more scarce.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:31 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

As a black person, I don't think that it is a disgrace to black people to highlight the fact that the percentages of black Americans using SNAP and welfare cash payment is higher than whites is a smear on the black population. If anything, it is a smear on the white population, many of whom have and continue to support a society which denies black people the same opportunities for employment and quality education as other demographics.
I agree 100%. That's a DEMOCRAT thing, and for the life of me I can't understand why Blacks continue to vote for their own educational and therefore socioeconomic oppression.
Quote:
"Pro-voucher voters among racial minorities overwhelmingly support Barack Obama, but they are baffled by the Democratic nominee's opposition to vouchers. They also say they are frustrated that Democratic leaders appear to be more concerned about keeping the peace with teachers unions -- which adamantly oppose vouchers -- than about finding alternatives that could advance desperately needed education reforms for minority students.

...Public opinion polls also show solid support for school vouchers among minority parents. Sixty-five percent of adult African-Americans and 63 percent of adult Hispanics favor the use of vouchers, according to a national survey conducted earlier this year under the auspices of the journal Education Next and the Program on Education Policy and Governance at Harvard University. In the survey, more than half of minority adults gave higher marks to their local police than their public schools.

"There is no doubt that on this issue, ...Obama has it wrong," Martin wrote."
Education Reform

U.S. public schools educate only 26% of all public school students to even basic grade-level proficiency in math, 38% in reading, by 12th grade.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

That in and of itself is bad enough, but pay very careful attention to the much lower basic proficiency percentages for Hispanic and Black students.

Hispanic students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 12%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 23%

Black students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 7%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 16%

Are Hispanics and Blacks inherently less intelligent than everyone else? Or are Democrats insisting on keeping them trapped in subpar public schools and therefore ensuring they're kept dumb, poor, and therefore voting for Democrats for life/generations?

In what world is voting for the party that adamantly opposes school vouchers and keeps Hispanic and Black kids trapped in underperforming public schools, acceptable?

Quote:
So if you want someone to blame for blacks on welfare, blame your white grandparents who denied opportunities for advancement to black people in this country for hundreds of years.
Actually, blame DEMOCRATS who still to this day insist on keeping Black kids trapped in their abysmally performing public schools.

Furthermore, it is EXTREMELY hypocritical of Obama, who had all the advantages of attending private school himself in Hawaii, to NOT champion this cause.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I agree 100%. That's a DEMOCRAT thing, and for the life of me I can't understand why Blacks continue to vote for their own educational and therefore socioeconomic oppression.

Education Reform

U.S. public schools educate only 26% of all public school students to even basic grade-level proficiency in math, 38% in reading, by 12th grade.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

That in and of itself is bad enough, but pay very careful attention to the much lower basic proficiency percentages for Hispanic and Black students.

Hispanic students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 12%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 23%

Black students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 7%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 16%

Are Hispanics and Blacks inherently less intelligent than everyone else? Or are Democrats insisting on keeping them trapped in subpar public schools and therefore ensuring they're kept dumb, poor, and therefore voting for Democrats for life/generations?

In what world is voting for the party that adamantly opposes school vouchers and keeps Hispanic and Black kids trapped in underperforming public schools, acceptable?

Actually, blame DEMOCRATS who still to this day insist on keeping Black kids trapped in their abysmally performing public schools.

Furthermore, it is EXTREMELY hypocritical of Obama, who had all the advantages of attending private school himself in Hawaii, to NOT champion this cause.
I completly agree. The union through the democrats will do whatever it takes to keep the power it has acquired over the last few decades. This means getting rid of any alternative to an educational system besides the one that forces children to attend sub par schools. They have even gone as far as trying to ban/regulate home based education systems because it reduces the power of the Union.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:

Contrary to what many of you think, generational wealth is a real thing. I am the first generation in my family born post Civil Rights. My grandmother and great grandparents were denied specific jobs, the ability to purchase homes in specific neighborhoods and the opportunity to attend high quality schools and due to that, I started out behind a typical white child with people who had parents/grandparents/great grandparents with a similar educational background in their family. My grandmother was a college graduate as were many great great aunts/uncles and cousins in my family. They could only be employed as lower level clerks /delivery persons, janitors, or domestics unlike whites and even white immigrants who had the same educational achievement. So things are not on an equal footing and won 't be IMO for another 100 years as long as progress keeps occurring.

That said, over 50% of black people were in poverty in my grandmother's generation due to systematic racism and prejudice which penetrated every level of life for black people in this country no matter geographic location. Today, that rate has been cut in half. In another 50 years I think it will be cut in half again and that is a good thing.

Just wanted to chime in and let you all know, you can blame blacks all you want but please acknowledge that generational opportunities, especially those afforded to our grandparents directly attributes to the outcome of the children.

I don't disagree that blacks didn't have the opportunities whites did. However, not all white people had advantages either. Even so, that still doesn't overlook the fact that close to 75% of all black children are born to unwed moms. Sure some of the dads are around but many others aren't. I know many black middle professional and they are educated and not on welfare and those I know personally who abused welfare were all white.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:15 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times
Quote:

Not even talking about the reason why blacks been denied opportunities because of century of slavery .
Why don't we stop US welfare money going oversea to other welfare countries before we talk about black American who are citizens of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies