U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,871,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I agree 100%. That's a DEMOCRAT thing, and for the life of me I can't understand why Blacks continue to vote for their own educational and therefore socioeconomic oppression.

Education Reform

U.S. public schools educate only 26% of all public school students to even basic grade-level proficiency in math, 38% in reading, by 12th grade.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

That in and of itself is bad enough, but pay very careful attention to the much lower basic proficiency percentages for Hispanic and Black students.

Hispanic students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 12%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 23%

Black students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 7%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 16%

Are Hispanics and Blacks inherently less intelligent than everyone else? Or are Democrats insisting on keeping them trapped in subpar public schools and therefore ensuring they're kept dumb, poor, and therefore voting for Democrats for life/generations?

In what world is voting for the party that adamantly opposes school vouchers and keeps Hispanic and Black kids trapped in underperforming public schools, acceptable?

Actually, blame DEMOCRATS who still to this day insist on keeping Black kids trapped in their abysmally performing public schools.

Furthermore, it is EXTREMELY hypocritical of Obama, who had all the advantages of attending private school himself in Hawaii, to NOT champion this cause.
I am from Ohio. We have vouchers so your post is not relevant. Vouchers do not solve all educational issues for any children. And I am speaking of educational opportunities affording to my parents and grandparents. I went to public school and tutored private school children when I was a high school student. Many private schools aren't as good as public schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I don't disagree that blacks didn't have the opportunities whites did. However, not all white people had advantages either. Even so, that still doesn't overlook the fact that close to 75% of all black children are born to unwed moms. Sure some of the dads are around but many others aren't. I know many black middle professional and they are educated and not on welfare and those I know personally who abused welfare were all white.
White people had more advantages than blacks at all levels. OOW births have nothing to do with what I said. My grandparents and great grandparents were married and they still didn't have the opportunities that married whites or immigrants did.

I am speaking of generational wealth accumulation not birth statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Not even talking about the reason why blacks been denied opportunities because of century of slavery .
Why don't we stop US welfare money going oversea to other welfare countries before we talk about black American who are citizens of this country.
I did not mention slavery. My parents and grandparents and great grandparents were not slaves. On my Ohio line not even my great great great great grandparents were slaves. But they were oppressed via "black laws" and "black codes" in Ohio that made life more difficult for them than a white immigrant and they endured segregation and could not get jobs that a newly immigrated white person could get all because they were black.

Quite thinking that all black people talk about are slavery. Not all black Americans are descended directly from all enslaved ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM

66,437 posts, read 30,302,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am from Ohio. We have vouchers so your post is not relevant.
In Ohio, only 60,000 vouchers are available state-wide for kids in underperforming schools. And beyond that, only low-income kindergarteners were eligible for vouchers in the 2013-14 school year. Low-income kindergarteners and first graders are eligible in 2014-15. And only about 2,000 low-income vouchers were available for 2013-14. About 4,000 available for 2014-15.

Ohio isn't even scratching the surface of what needs to be done. What about the rest of the Ohio students trapped in horrendous public schools?

Ohio's school voucher programs explained

Old 03-04-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
In Ohio, only 60,000 vouchers are available state-wide for kids in underperforming schools. And beyond that, only low-income kindergarteners were eligible for vouchers in the 2013-14 school year. Low-income kindergarteners and first graders are eligible in 2014-15. And only about 2,000 low-income vouchers were available for 2013-14. About 4,000 available for 2014-15.

Ohio isn't even scratching the surface of what needs to be done. What about the rest of the Ohio students trapped in horrendous public schools?

Ohio's school voucher programs explained

There are exceptions to what you provided.

I have 3 nephews who attend private schools using EdChoice. All go to very highly rated private high schools in our city and didn't get the scholarship until they were past kindergarten, one was in 8th grade when he got it the others in 3-5th.

60,000 vouchers is a lot. So I don't know why you are complaining. And FWIW, I actually do feel that the high school my son goes to - a magnet STEM public high school is better than the private high school that his cousins attend.

And FWIW, like I said, my comment was about educational opportunities for my mother/father and grandparents and great grandparents' generations. Not today. There are many options in Ohio for school choice including inter-district transfer where students can attend any school as long as there is space in any district. I have many family members who send their kids from the inner city to the suburbs for school. They can send them to any school in the school district, they can go private with vouchers (and not all of the vouchers are only for kindergarteners or primary school), they can go to a highly rated public school in the district or go to a suburban district. There are TONS of options here today.

But stop trying to change the subject of what I said. If my great grandfather had been allowed to be a supervisor at his job he could have bought a bigger house and accumulated more income over his lifetime and sent more of his kids and grandkids to college and left more of a legacy for us than he did. That is the point. Systematic racism was all inclusive and invasive on the lives of black Americans pre- 1965. This included every generation of my family except Gen X, of which I am a part of. So to you trying to blame stuff on blacks, like I said, blame your racist white grand parents and great grandparents who turned a blind eye while allowing extreme discrimination to persist and hold back black people to their and your advantage. Also, like I said, even immigrant whites fared better. Plenty of Jews and Poles especially changed their names so they could leave their immigrant status behind and find success. Only the whitest of black people could do that.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
60,000 vouchers is a lot.
No, it isn't. There are significantly more than 60,000 school-aged kids in Ohio.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't. There are significantly more than 60,000 school-aged kids in Ohio.
Quit changing the subject. I know you like to bicker back and forth and it can be entertaining but you are ignoring that I am not speaking of current opportunities and you ignored all the other school choice options I told you about and you are ignoring that I am speaking of generations from the late 19th century to 1965 especially.

It's called being focused.

Not everyone today feels they need EdChoice to get their kids a good education. Many public school districts are VERY good and provide better services than private schools. In my area the only private schools that EdChoice can be used at are Catholic and I don't want my kids to attend a religiously based school. Some other parents might not either. Also, we have a pretty good district so there are plenty of opportunities in public schools. We also have some of the highest rated suburban public school districts in the state in this area. I would rather my kid go to one of them than a private religious school.

And FWIW, EdChoice doesn't even use all 60000 scholarships per year. So evidently they are a lot and it is more than enough.

Ohio Has More Vouchers Than It Knows What To Do With
:

Quote:
Ohioís other voucher programs are also seeing more supply than demand. Take, for example, the EdChoice voucher program. EdChoice vouchers allow students who attend the stateís worst performing public schools to attend private schools. As we wrote earlier this year:

In 2011-12, about 15,000 students received EdChoice vouchers. Thatís less than the 30,000 vouchers available. And for the 2012-13 school year, about 17,000 students applied for EdChoice vouchers. Thatís a lot less than the 60,000 vouchers available

Old 03-04-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Quit changing the subject.
I'm not changing the subject. Blacks (Hispanics, and anyone else for that matter) will never have equal access to a quality education until every student and their family can choose and apply to whichever schools they want.

60,000 vouchers for millions of school-aged Ohio kids simply doesn't cut it.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:37 PM

26 posts, read 35,342 times
Just to throw something on the table. Take it, use it, throw it away, think about it, blow your nose in it, what ever you want to do with it. I was given "How a Democracy Rises and Falls" a while back. Read it and it seems to me to chronicle the United States since Columbus discovered North America. I have guessed at the years that I put next to the lines.

From bondage to spiritual faith 1492 - 1650
From spiritual faith to great courage 1650 - 1750
From great courage to freedom 1750 - 1850
From freedom to abundance 1850 - 1950
From abundance to complacency 1950 - 1980
From complacency to apathy 1980 - 2000
From apathy to dependancy 2000 - 2015
From dependancy back to bondage 2015 - ????

A democracy will prevail until the population figures out how to vote themselves entitlements. This will lead to governmental fiscal irresponsibility. And this leads back to bondage.

We all know that we are 18 TRILLION dollars in debt and it doesn't look like it's going down in the forseeable future. What part of governmental fiscal irresponsiblity isn't understood? I won't point fingers, I feel it's ALL of us that are the problem. If 50% of the population plus 1 (a majority) said NO, then we wouldn't be in this boat. But we all can see that trying to get 2 Americans to agree on the same thing at the same time is almost impossible. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. And look at what we Americans do, the same thing almost all the time. So what do you expect? Something different??? What do you think would happen if by chance all 100 senators and 420 or so representatives were thrown out and a new fresh batch of 520 congresspersons were elected? I'm guessing something different. Which way I don't know. But re-electing the same bunch that put us in this mess certainly won't change anything. With my limited knowledge of history, I can't think of anything that comes close to what we think of as the "middle class" before 1850. It was always the Big Guy in the castle with a moat and serfs and slaves to do his bidding. I can't think of any "Democratic Republic" that has lasted longer than 250 years or so. The US is at 239 years. And we all read about the DECLINE of the middle class these days. Is there anything about How A Democracy Rises and Falls that doesn't look familiar. Someone once said that "Those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it". I would just like all Americans to THINK, put down the electronic devices and use the device between your ears.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:18 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,478,541 times
Quote:
Are Hispanics and Blacks inherently less intelligent than everyone else? Or are Democrats insisting on keeping them trapped in subpar public schools and therefore ensuring they're kept dumb, poor, and therefore voting for Democrats for life/generations?
It's not just the schools. It's the family or lack of it. Nobody is addressing the family issues.

Quote:
In what world is voting for the party that adamantly opposes school vouchers and keeps Hispanic and Black kids trapped in underperforming public schools, acceptable?

Actually, blame DEMOCRATS who still to this day insist on keeping Black kids trapped in their abysmally performing public schools.

Furthermore, it is EXTREMELY hypocritical of Obama, who had all the advantages of attending private school himself in Hawaii, to NOT champion this cause.
This is true. And we wonder why unemployment and general conditions for black people has worsened under Obama. His programs hurt the working class and enrich his wealthy buddies.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 88 times
This thread is a little disingenuous, in that it does not distinguish between the counties receiving these government funds. If you break down by county you will find these red States are actually being pulled high in the rankings because of their blue cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or