U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:51 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,172,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I wasn't born under a rock. I grew up in a city that today is number 1 or 2 nationally for violent crime. We also had the mafia mobsters. In addition we had one of the best city dailies. I would have heard of it.
You don't hear of all crimes being committed, hence why you are surprised by an otherwise normal crime. A lot of people like to think the further you go in the past the less criminality was prevalent. I don't take that worldview, my worldview is that the further back in time you go, the less media exposure there was and the chances were higher you'd get away with your crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You don't hear of all crimes being committed, hence why you are surprised by an otherwise normal crime. A lot of people like to think the further you go in the past the less criminality was prevalent. I don't take that worldview, my worldview is that the further back in time you go, the less media exposure there was and the chances were higher you'd get away with your crime.
I didn't grow up in the time of CNN or social media, nor were these in place much of my adult life, but all the major news networks were invented and reporting. It was HUGE news when someone murdered someone (even the mobster stuff, but especially the domestic stuff). Please understand, I am NOT referring to the good old days of less crime, I am asking about violent crimes especially against family members and partners/ex's committed by younger adults.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,689,636 times
It's easy to do research on it. Probably many have, just look it up. The crimes were reported, maybe not on the news 24/7 but the newspapers did report them. They have stats on it.

The 24/7 news reporting does make it seem much more violent now but was there so much domestic violence going on, so much drug violence going on and so much gang violence?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I didn't grow up in the time of CNN or social media, nor were these in place much of my adult life, but all the major news networks were invented and reporting. It was HUGE news when someone murdered someone (even the mobster stuff, but especially the domestic stuff). Please understand, I am NOT referring to the good old days of less crime, I am asking about violent crimes especially against family members and partners/ex's committed by younger adults.
Yeha it was huge news back then because that kind of reporting was in its infancy. Crimes committed against family members have been happening since time immemorial. Brothers used to kill each other because they wanted the other brother's wife for themselves in addition to their own, royal and aristocratic family members killed each other for the succession of their power, etc. There is absolutely nothing new about this.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:15 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,689,636 times
I think the OP is talking about today and America back 50 or even 70 years ago.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I think the OP is talking about today and America back 50 or even 70 years ago.
That's exactly what it is. The only difference between then and now is frequency of reporting, the reach of the stories, and the arrest rate. The further you go back in time, the less and less the arrest rate was

Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 PM

3,846 posts, read 1,962,457 times
Default What is going on with violent crimes and and Gen X???

Desperation and futility?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 PM

24,797 posts, read 9,660,987 times
I blame the flannels we wore back in the 90s. Stats show those who wear flannels are either lumberjacks or murderers.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yeha it was huge news back then because that kind of reporting was in its infancy. Crimes committed against family members have been happening since time immemorial. Brothers used to kill each other because they wanted the other brother's wife for themselves in addition to their own, royal and aristocratic family members killed each other for the succession of their power, etc. There is absolutely nothing new about this.
I was a journalist by profession (with a grad degree) and can tell you that reporting was most certainly not in it's "infancy" in my younger years and career years. Front page real news reporting of every step of the Vietnam War puts to shame the (non) coverage of today's so-called wars. We had maps and infographics of battles and detailed reports of all the big news including the war, the political assassinations, and yes, violent crime on page 1 of all the city dailies and on network TV news. What passes for hard news these days is pathetic. It's all soft human interest features and speculative stuff that passes for reporting. As for investigative reporting on the major controversial issues, you won't find much of that. Today we label mainstream news "sources" as either credible or radical. Anything really investigative gets labeled radical. To the subject at hand...

Of course people have been killing each other including family members since biblical times. Of course it isn't new. What seems to be new is that a number of these are not quick and direct assassinations to get someone out of the way, they are more the kind of over the top killings with incredible violence like the ones I cited in the OP.

I don't have an opinion based on research here, I'm just wondering about others' impressions. I guess that now that I've created the thread I should dig in and do some research. I am aware of the findings that "overall" violent crime is found to be down. I'm interested in adults my kids' ages (20s, 30s).

ETA: Gen X was not a good choice for the thread title; I should have worded it "younger adults."

Last edited by RiverBird; 04-25-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,191,335 times
Quote:
I cannot believe the violent crimes being committed, especially those murdering or attempting to murder girlfriends or boyfriends (Jodi A.), or their own children (Casey A.). Here's yet another one:

Rebecca Kasper, ASU student, found murdered in bathtub; boyfriend charged - Crimesider - CBS News

And so many more. It's just mind boggling. What's going on??
They outlawed ass whippings in school,at home and in public..they outlawed the bible in school..a book and teaching that taught you treat everyone well and there are consequences for your actions..the last 2 generations of parents have learned less and taught their children less about life in general and more about video games and you have what you have today...a nation full of spoiled youngsters in dire need of a good lesson in manners and consequences and some need that teaching at the end of a boot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies