Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What, if anything, should be done with the Social Security tax exemption limit?
Eliminate it; every wage earner should pay into the system on every dollar. 11 52.38%
Raise it; $97,000 is much too low, not enough people are contributing. 5 23.81%
Leave it alone. 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 3,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I believe that workers should have the right to individually decide how to invest a portion of THEIR wages rather than it all go into the Social Security system

Or, allow workers to EASILY "Opt Out" of social security altogether
No, this would not help us! The VAST majority of workers have very little ability to PLAN (see the rate of Savings for the USA). Everyone needs to be in the SS pool, no exemptions, no upper limit on earnings! Simple is the Fairest.
IF I'm one of those American's that plan a bit, I will go ahead and add to my retirement and start a 401K with my employer or a personal IRA/ROTH. The VAST majority of Americans dont do this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 3,804 times
Why are not more people excited about this issue! By the simple removal of the upper limit and the doubling of the lower limit, we can get more people covered, give everyone another leg on their retirement and stop pushing people down the economic ladder!
The past year shows that blind trust in either system (Capitalism vs American Social System) does not work! We need both to help our citizens up off the ground. My ancestors knew the importance of banding together in cooperation as citizens and private enterprisers. These were people that moved from Europe to the Americas, some were already here, and migrating across the country to Oregon in the 1850's.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
I said eliminate it, but I mean eliminate the entire system, and give back all the money that the federal goverment has screwed the american people out of since fdr institutionalized this ponzie scheme upon the american people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies