U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 AM

18,614 posts, read 16,381,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is the Breitbart story:

The Pigford Shakedown: How the Black Farmers' Cause Was Hijacked by Politicians, Trial Lawyers & Community Organizers -- Leaving Us With a Billion Dollar Tab

My reading of the times article doesn't jive with the OP or Breitbart's conclusion. Breitbart claims that there was no discrimination and that it's all about fraud. The Times indicates that there is potential for fraud, as in every case action case, there was indeed discrimination.
You didn't read the Times article well then. It said while the original claimants may have experienced discrimination, although they were never able to successfully prove it in court. The program was expanded beyond it's original intent, required no proof and thus became a magnet of fraud. You must be far to the left of NY Times commentators since most comments accompanying the article start of with, "I'm, liberal but this is ridiculous...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,346,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You didn't read the Times article well then. It said while the original claimants may have experienced discrimination, although they were never able to successfully prove it in court. The program was expanded beyond it's original intent, required no proof and thus became a magnet of fraud. You must be far to the left of NY Times commentators since most comments accompanying the article start of with, "I'm, liberal but this is ridiculous...."
MTA never met a government handout that they didnt like.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,097,118 times
Default New Details on Hispanic and Female PayOuts in Farm Bill

I did a search to see if this has been posted but, couldn't find anything, at least in my search.
If so, moderator, feel free to delete.

I had seen the ads in all the Florida agriculture papers and magazines asking Hispanics, for some time, to come forward, etc, etc, but I did not know what had happened with it.

News details about Obama administration appointees spending more than $1.33 billion to compensate Hispanic and female farmers has raised more concerns among House Republicans about potentially fraudulent payouts related to a 16-year-old discrimination case.
The Justice and Agriculture department appointees spent the money despite a 2010 Supreme Court ruling that dismissed discrimination claims against federal loan officers and despite thousands of recipients never having claimed bias in court.
The details emerged in a recent New York Times investigative story, in which lawyers, agency officials and ex-officials said many of those who received compensation had “no credible evidence” of discrimination and that the 1999 Pigford case settlements, in which black farmers received $50,000 payouts, became a “magnet for fraud.”
A spokeswoman for the House Agricultural Committee told FoxNews.com on Monday that members are following the issue “and it’s possible to have hearings on it at a later date.”
However, the committee’s focus right now is on drafting a final farm bill, she said.
Among those who have followed the cases – including 60 FBI criminal investigations -- are Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King and the late conservative pundit Andrew Breitbart.

Read more: Republicans concerned about new details on farmer payout, led by Obama appointees | Fox News

Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,487,936 times
Plant a cabbage seed in a styrofoam cup claim you wanted a farm loan but were afraid to apply because you would be discriminated against

Viola

$50,000.00 Govt pay out from the money set aside to pay put these claims. Waste fraud and abuse boondoggle of the highest order. This is how lawyers run our country

Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,097,118 times
boner, I had seen those ads for months in the local mags/papers for ag business here in Central Fl. Wow ! I am a female and I do some of the urban gardening stuff and I could have gotten in on this.....?

That's like in our county, farm land gets a very low property tax rate so, all the developers, when times got hard, said their undeveloped land was agriculture land. Viola ! they paid almost no tax......it was a big item in the papers but was justified by the property appraisers office.....big money talks.....lol.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,508,886 times
Andrew Breitbart vindicated by NYT on Pigford Scandal

Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,444,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Liberalism. That's all that needs to be said.

I praise God that I was not born with the brain chemistry of a liberal. Nothing could be worse than having a mental disease of this type.
No kidding. I was unaware there were people stupid enough to not have believe Breitbart.

Who knew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Weiner will probably be elected mayor of NYC unfortunately.
And the whole world laughs.

I mean, really, could anything be more pathetic than Bloomies? At least The Weiner has a sense of humor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies