U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 AM

20,017 posts, read 15,701,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i think any american who truly wanted to assimilate into european culture would accept and understand that small cars, small housing, expensive goods, etc. are just part and parcel with (most) european countries.
Have you been around most Americans? They want 32 oz sodas and to fill up their car for the great cross country challenge or a trip to Disneyworld with the kids. I've dated girls who say that she won't marry a man who is too cheap to take the whole caravan of 4 kids to Disneyworld or to the Grand Canyon. Also, many would never dream of sharing a house with relatives (something many Europeans including my family does). Many (not all) are too spoiled to live a European life.

Even my wife who loves being in Europe and is quite liberal was sick of small portions, cafes closing at 6pm and $8 gas after 10 days there.

Quote:
these are just trade-offs to having an densely populated, pedestrian-friendly continent with perks like mass transit, etc.
Mass transit is too inconvenient, even in Europe (except for city centers, etc). Even Europhile Rick Steves recommends renting a car for your travels there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 AM

62,752 posts, read 34,208,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I wasn't aware you can do that with an EU passport. Interdasting.

The EU passport and wifey's Canadian citizenship are also exit strategies incase this country goes Cloward-Piven on us.
My wife also has a passport of another country, so I am all set if need be. Swizerland started allowing EU citizens to work there some years ago, but according to the OP the number has been reduced to 80 000 a year, which is still a lot.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,159,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Have you been around most Americans?
sure, but we're not talking about most americans. we're talking about the americans who specifically want to move to europe.

Quote:
Mass transit is too inconvenient, even in Europe (except for city centers, etc). Even Europhile Rick Steves recommends renting a car for your travels there.
i think it depends on where you are. i've only visited europe, but i found the mass transit to be extremely useful in towns , medium sized cities, and big cities.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM

45,683 posts, read 33,930,575 times
Quote:

i think it depends on where you are. i've only visited europe, but i found the mass transit to be extremely useful in towns , medium sized cities, and big cities.
Absolutely.

The rural areas are a different story.

Most of Europe is dependent upon tourism to some degree. Some tourists never leave. Same deal in the U.S.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 AM

18,164 posts, read 10,322,881 times
Quote:
i suppose what annoys me, is how so many european countries (EU or not) readily accept unskilled refugees , who don't know the language, sometimes have radical anti-western views, and have no intention of assimilating into a new culture ---

but if you're a typical skilled American and you want to migrate to a european country with the intention of assimilating into their culture, the hurdles are set very high.
Hellooooo? While you're being annoyed about another country perhaps you could save some chagrin for what you've accurately described as the U.S.

Sheesh; over 12 million illegals all accepted as fact and you cast your critical eyes across the pond?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM

23,980 posts, read 32,725,867 times
Switzerland isn't even part of the EU. They can make whatever immigration policies they like; it's their country.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Hellooooo? While you're being annoyed about another country perhaps you could save some chagrin for what you've accurately described as the U.S.
Who says I don't?

Quote:
Sheesh; over 12 million illegals all accepted as fact and you cast your critical eyes across the pond?
I don't see these two things as related, my criticism of European immigration systems, and the broken U.S. immigration system.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They can make whatever immigration policies they like; it's their country.
Fascinating.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 PM

62,752 posts, read 34,208,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Switzerland isn't even part of the EU. They can make whatever immigration policies they like; it's their country.
Not exactly, because they are a part of the Schengen Agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies