Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And here's the really insane part...these conspiracy nuts are the first to oppose regulations, which they perceive as control by government. Are they too dense to realize that without regulations and certain restrictions, the very people that could take over the world are fully equipped to do so. Wall Street, Big Pharma, Big Oil, the chemical industry, Food Inc. Monsanto, The Military Industrial Complex, etc. The greed, lust for power and corruption are infinite and yet these individuals argue to feed the very beast they are afraid of by giving them more free reign. It's nuts...and pretty damn stupid. Also, these same industries ar ****ing with the environment and poisoning us, but heaven forbid they are regulated.
That's what I don't get either. They think a secret group of the rich and powerful are trying to take over the world, and that they control our government, but they don't want to put regulations on campaigning and lobbying in place that keep the rich and powerful from controlling the government. Go figure. I'm not a conspiracy theory fan. It's just common sense that big business is in it for the money--it's their JOB to make shareholders happy--and they don't care what they do to the country or anyone else as long as they get what they want legislatively. It's all about their own bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Campaign finance reform, restrictions on lobbying expenditures and blocking elected officials from taking corporate board seats etc. for a period of time after they leave office.
None of these proposals can realistically be achieved for the foreseeable future: all would require solid congressional majorities and control of the presidency by a party united around and committed to the issue, and at least one probably requires a constitutional amendment as well.

In short: not happening.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:48 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
That's what I don't get either. They think a secret group of the rich and powerful are trying to take over the world, and that they control our government, but they don't want to put regulations on campaigning and lobbying in place that keep the rich and powerful from controlling the government. Go figure. I'm not a conspiracy theory fan. It's just common sense that big business is in it for the money--it's their JOB to make shareholders happy--and they don't care what they do to the country or anyone else as long as they get what they want legislatively. It's all about their own bottom line.
What is your specific proposal on public financing?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
None of these proposals can realistically be achieved for the foreseeable future: all would require solid congressional majorities and control of the presidency by a party united around and committed to the issue, and at least one probably requires a constitutional amendment as well.

In short: not happening.
You're right--it's not. But it would fix the problem. What I find interesting is that the conspiracy theory folks on here would be the first to oppose campaign finance reform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
What is your specific proposal on public financing?
Since I'm not writing legislation, I don't have anything "specific" if you're looking for something really detailed, but presidential races could be funded by taxpayers with spending limits, and we could impose spending limits on other races as well. I'd be happy if we just got rid of the Citizens United ruling through a constitutional amendment so that single entities can't give unlimited amounts anonymously to campaigns. We're in a vicious cycle where one candidate raises more money, so his opponent has to raise even more--it's turned into an arms race (like the cold war) and it makes candidates even more indebted to those who can give them the biggest bucks. Somethings got to change.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:57 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Campaign finance reform, restrictions on lobbying expenditures and blocking elected officials from taking corporate board seats etc. for a period of time after they leave office. If the big players can't influence politicians by throwing cash at them, then things get a whole lot more democratic pretty fast.

I don't think there are nefarious purposes at play--I just think big business has too much power, and they buy votes. If you're a conspiracy theorist who believes in the one world order or illuminati thing--that powerful people are controlling the world or whatever it is that they're babbling on about--this would fix that problem as well.

The only thing I would really add is to make insider trading illegal for politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And here's the really insane part...these conspiracy nuts are the first to oppose regulations, which they perceive as control by government. Are they too dense to realize that without regulations and certain restrictions, the very people that could take over the world are fully equipped to do so. Wall Street, Big Pharma, Big Oil, the chemical industry, Food Inc. Monsanto, The Military Industrial Complex, etc. The greed, lust for power and corruption are infinite and yet these individuals argue to feed the very beast they are afraid of by giving them more free reign. It's nuts...and pretty damn stupid. Also, these same industries ar ****ing with the environment and poisoning us, but heaven forbid they are regulated.
Corporations cannot get any favors that politicians are not willing or able to give out. Pass all the regulations you want and the politicians will write loopholes and grant waivers for the big corporations. Congratulations! You just raised the barrier to entry.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Since I'm not writing legislation, I don't have anything "specific" if you're looking for something really detailed, but presidential races could be funded by taxpayers with spending limits, and we could impose spending limits on other races as well. I'd be happy if we just got rid of the Citizens United ruling through a constitutional amendment so that single entities can't give unlimited amounts anonymously to campaigns. We're in a vicious cycle where one candidate raises more money, so his opponent has to raise even more--it's turned into an arms race (like the cold war) and it makes candidates even more indebted to those who can give them the biggest bucks. Somethings got to change.
One idea that I have is to give equal tv access to potential nominees. Maybe there could be debates on PBS in equal increments. Obviously this doesn't address tv ads or travel expenses though.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
it's futile to resist us (U.S.)......bwahahahaha!!!

practical advice from your gov't

Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

he only thing I would really add is to make insider trading illegal for politicians.
Congress just repealed the regulations that WERE put in place on that issue.
Congress repeals law barring members' insider trading - Baltimore Sun

Quote:
Corporations cannot get any favors that politicians are not willing or able to give out. Pass all the regulations you want and the politicians will write loopholes and grant waivers for the big corporations. Congratulations! You just raised the barrier to entry.
That's why I think all of those issues need to be part of a constitutional amendment--so Congress can't pass laws with loopholes on those issues--and that's why I also think it will never get done.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
One idea that I have is to give equal tv access to potential nominees. Maybe there could be debates on PBS in equal increments. Obviously this doesn't address tv ads or travel expenses though.
That's how they used to do it before the rise of cable news--the networks had to give equal time to each candidate.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Congress just repealed the regulations that WERE put in place on that issue.
Congress repeals law barring members' insider trading - Baltimore Sun

That's why I think all of those issues need to be part of a constitutional amendment--so Congress can't pass laws with loopholes on those issues--and that's why I also think it will never get done.
I know. That's was my point. Congress banned insider trading and then overturned it. You can't trust these people to make their own rules.

It would be notoriously difficult to pass any meaningful amendment. What qualifies as a loophole? What qualifies as a valid exemption. In truth, many laws are passed with exemptions for a reason and sometimes there is no reason. A term limit amendment would be more straight forward, but I'm not sure if there are any negative consequences from that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies