Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So, and again please understand I'm not arguing your point, you dislike the smell of coffee. But I've just never heard of someone being physically harmed in any way due to the aroma of that sweet, sweet, bean.
Your "sweet, sweet bean" literally makes me sick.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Your "sweet, sweet bean" literally makes me sick.
See, I never heard of anyone having that strong a reaction to coffee smell. Obviously I was trying to be a smart ***** in my response, but you really did educate me, lol.

If that's the case then perhaps it's something that should be looked into. Certainly brewing coffee in an area where the smell would affect everyone.
Perhaps forcing everyone to use covered cups to keep the smell way down.
And then of course, no matter if you have coffee breath, cigarette breath or even minty fresh breath there should be a respectful distance when talking to someone at work so as to where the breath shouldn't be an issue. And if that is an issue then that person should be dealth with on a one on one basis.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
To the vast majority of smokers, the world is but an ashtray to receive their filth, which they seem as a positive, good thing, but which normal people see as foul, filthy effluent.

I would never even consider hiring somebody addicted to tobacco (or alcohol, for that matter).
Seriously...How are you gonna know until after you hire them if they imbibe in either? How do you feel about pot smokers?

Last edited by JanND; 04-26-2013 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling

Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Our company became tobacco free on January 1, 2013. We can not work here if we smoke or smell like smoke. One of the things that new hires are tested for is tobacco products of any kind, including chewing tobacco. Of the employees that smoke they were offered free smoking cessasion classes and products. One big problem is that when you are married to a smoker or live with one that smell can still be on your clothes or body. Within California many Hospitals have taken the same stance. The State has given healthcare employers untill January 1, 2014 to become tobacco free. I heard the other day that UCLA went tobacco free recently as well.

Since you can't smoke in any public buildings it just make sence to head in this direction anyway. Kind of thought is was dumb to have a law saying you can't smoke in a building when people would stand outside a building and smoke there instead. Now our entire facility, inside and outside is tobacco free. We ended up putting signage all over the place stating that the buildings and grounds were tobacco free. Had to have all the ciggarette trash receptacles removed from the property as well.

Then again visitors can feel free to leave our property and smoke all they want.
Look at it this way, at least you can smell it and move away. Many things that are truly harmful to you are undetectable, like radiation, like whatever that SmartMeter is doing to you, like the chemicals in your food, like the waves you get from a microwave every time you use it, like nanoparticles falling from the sky or pandemic. It's the hidden things that should be worrying you.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
See, I never heard of anyone having that strong a reaction to coffee smell. Obviously I was trying to be a smart ***** in my response, but you really did educate me, lol.

If that's the case then perhaps it's something that should be looked into. Certainly brewing coffee in an area where the smell would affect everyone.
Perhaps forcing everyone to use covered cups to keep the smell way down.
And then of course, no matter if you have coffee breath, cigarette breath or even minty fresh breath there should be a respectful distance when talking to someone at work so as to where the breath shouldn't be an issue. And if that is an issue then that person should be dealth with on a one on one basis.
Why don't you just wear a hazmat suit everywhere you go?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:15 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I understand hating the smell of freshly brewed coffee, I don't get it because I LOVE it, but my wife hates the smell of coffee (part of the reason, out of respect for her, that I only drink coffee at work, so it doesn't "stink up" the house) But, in what way does the coffee smell affect you?

I get you don't like it. That's understandable. But how does it physically affect you.

Cigarette smoke caused alergic like reactions with me. People who are asthmatic are affected by smoke. Etc. As one poster mentioned earlier hospitals are becoming smoke free environments simply because of the health issues.

So, and again please understand I'm not arguing your point, you dislike the smell of coffee. But I've just never heard of someone being physically harmed in any way due to the aroma of that sweet, sweet, bean. But of course, I don't know everything, and I have to assume there is a logical, rational reason that you are comparing cigarette smoke to coffee brewing, so please educate me.
You are dealing with the wholly-irrational lengths to which smokers will try to justify their grossly anti-social behaviour. It is amazing that anyone could even considering comparing tobacco-effluent with coffee-aroma, but there you have it, from the addicts "mouth".

Shows you how desperate they are, driven, of course, by their addiction.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Seriously...How re you gonna know til after you hire them if the imbibe in either? How do you feel about pot smokers?
If I don't know, then they obviously are causing a problem. Pot is irrevelant to the subject at hand.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why don't you just wear a hazmat suit everywhere you go?
Why would I do that?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
weed smells good when being smoked, what is it in cigs that makes them smell so vile?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
t o b a c c o
You know, I tend to disagree. I have smelled PURE tobacco and it is a very pleasant fragrance. What smells bad is the 4,000 chemicals (including formaldehyde) that are being burned. Have you ever smelled a house fire? The plastics and other chemicals is what smells awful, not the WOOD that is burning.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-26-2013, 02:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Buy a fan for your desk. They're four bucks at Walmart.

BTW: Your co-workers may find your odor offensive. Every human has a smell.

And, no. I don't smoke. But if you have a problem why should someone else change just to accommodate you. Four bucks. Ten for the two-speed models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies