U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 03:58 PM

10,583 posts, read 8,264,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I'm sitting here in my office minding my own business when a co-worker walks in, straight from a smoke break, to ask for my help on something.
The entire time he's in the office and for at least a minute after he left the stench of smoke was in the air, and my eyes literally began to water.
Sounds more to me like you are hypersensitive to smoke and/or perfume. Doctors can help you with this easily.

Why do you insist on making laws to control everybody except yourself?

Grow a thicker skin and get on with life. Geez.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 PM

402 posts, read 1,246,726 times
Exclamation It's more than a stench or a sensitivity, it is hazardous to your health!

Quote:
. . . after he left the stench of smoke was in the air, and my eyes literally began to water. . . . an excessive amount of perfume, nor should men with cologne, because many people are sensitive to those. Well the same is true of cigarette smoke. Sending smokers outside for a break doesn't help much at all. . . .
Do a little research and print out some of the hazards of third-hand smoke. Then, give this to your boss. Second-hand and third-hand smoke are dangerous to your health. Some more sensitive people, like yourself, have immediate allergic reactions, others are just disgusted by the odor, but all are affected by the toxins. It should be considered child endangerment to pick up a baby after smoking. They not only breathe them in, but also ingest them. This really should make you think twice about shaking hands with a smoker.

“Tobacco toxins linger in the environment long after a cigarette is extinguished. . . . there are over 250 toxins contained in cigarette smoke including lead, arsenic and cyanide. After it is exhaled, smoked settles onto the smoker's hair and clothing as well as their surroundings.”
Study Finds Thirdhand Smoke as Dangerous as Secondhand Smoke for Children - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

“Third-hand smoke is the smoke you don't see and what is detected by your nose in elevators, hotel rooms or on smoker's clothing and hair.”

“Toxins from cigarette smoke lingers in furniture, fabrics, walls and even hair, posing a health risk long after the cigarette is extinguished . . . The dangers of third-hand smoke are very real. Those toxins are present even if you can't see it. If your nose detects it, it's real and a toxic layer of smoke deposition is present," said Dr. Jonathan Winickoff, an assistant professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School.
"The U.S. surgeon general says there is no risk-free level of tobacco toxins.”
Even smell of cigarette smoke is toxic | World | News | Toronto Sun

Individuals exposed to second-hand smoke have increased risk of developing respiratory illness, asthma and allergy. Cigarette smoke impairs the integrity of the lung epithelial layer and facilitates the penetration of allergens by compromising the innate defense mechanisms in the lungs. Symptoms of cigarette allergy are similar to asthma – shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing and impaired lung function.”

Signs & Symptoms Of A Cigarette Smoke Allergy | LIVESTRONG.COM

“Ever take a whiff of a smoker's hair and feel faint from the pungent scent of cigarette smoke? . . . ‘Third-hand smoke . . . remains after the cigarette has been extinguished,’ . . . cocktail of toxins that linger in carpets, sofas, clothes and other materials hours or even days after a cigarette is put out—is a health hazard . . .”
What is third-hand smoke? Is it hazardous?: Scientific American

Thirdhand Smoke is . . . the residual contamination from tobacco smoke that lingers in rooms long after smoking stops and remains on our clothes after we leave a smoky place. It may seem merely like an offensive smell, but it is also indicative of the presence of tobacco toxins.
Thirdhand smoke . . . is left behind after smoking and builds up on surfaces and furnishings. Tobacco smoke is composed of numerous types of gasses and particulate matter, including carcinogens and heavy metals, like arsenic, lead, and cyanide. Sticky, highly toxic particulates, like nicotine, can cling to walls and ceilings. Gases can be absorbed into carpets, draperies, and other upholsteries. A 2002 study found that these toxic brews can then reemit back into the air and recombine to form harmful compounds that remain at high levels long after smoking has stopped occurring.
Thirdhand Smoke - no-smoke.org

The negative health effects of third-hand smoke are MUCH worse than just the stench.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,185,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
As an ex-smoker (quit in 1987) it is not the residual smell of smoke that bothers me. I have found that some people that go out to smoke "reek" or it while on others it is barely detectable. What bothers me is that SOME (no not all) smokers will drop their butts wherever it is convenient for them, even if there is a butt/trashcan 5 feet away. People pick up after yourselves and stop being such pigs. I do think a restaurant should have a right to be smoking or non or be able to have a smoking section. It is up to the individual consumer as to whether they want to frequent that establishment or not. Same for the workers. As far as why smoking is so unpopular, I guess that it depends on WHAT you are smoking. It seems that some on the left have no problem with pot/marijuana but abhore everything else. Yeah right, smoke is smoke , is smoke. And the tobacco settlement money? It should be used JUST to offset the cost of healthcare for smokers and we all know that that's NOT where it is all going. Some is going into state slushfunds and other programs unrelated to smoking. FOUL!! You tax the product to death and then squander what you get as a result. Ingenuine. Yes, when I was a smoker I acquired more respiratory infections. That is between me and my health insurance and if I have to pay a higher premium if I am a smoker. As far as taking time at work, everyone gets breaks and let's limit it to that. And for the E-cigarettes, I think they are a great idea. My brother-in-law just recently quit entirely thanks to them. But then there are some that will find these "offensive".
When I was in the military, our company spent a great deal of time picking up cigarette butts on base. I grew to detest the job so much that I vowed never to put a cigarette butt on the ground again. That was 41 years ago, and to this day I still field strip my cigarette butts and keep the filter in my pocket if I cannot dispose of it properly at the time.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,569,029 times
Quote:
try to keep up or don't participate.
Try to take responsibility for what happens in your work space or stuff envelopes from home.

If people are allowed to smoke on their break they're going to smell like smoke. That's the way the world works. Smoke has an odor and you don't own the company so you don't get to make the rules. You can complain and whine or you can take responsibility for yourself and go to Walmart. No one will be smoking in there. You should be safe. If the cashier is stinky, hold your breath.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-26-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 04:30 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,129,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Sounds more to me like you are hypersensitive to smoke and/or perfume. Doctors can help you with this easily.

Why do you insist on making laws to control everybody except yourself?

Grow a thicker skin and get on with life. Geez.
1. I don't make any laws

2. Not once have I proposed making any laws

3. I do concern myself with controlling myself and as I've mentioned in other posts in this very thread I'm sensitive to things that I do that may affect other people.

But thanks for the advice, I'll try to get on with life

Old 04-26-2013, 04:31 PM

12,012 posts, read 2,215,471 times
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, y'all, for giving me so much entertainment on what was otherwise a dull afternoon.

BEAT that dead horse one more time!

Old 04-26-2013, 04:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,129,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Try to take responsibility for what happens in your work space or stuff envelopes from home.

If people are allowed to smoke on their break they're going to smell like smoke. That's the way the world works. Smoke has an odor and you don't own the company so you don't get to make the rules. You can complain and whine or you can take responsibility for yourself and go to Walmart. No one will be smoking in there. You should be safe. If the cashier is stinky, hold your breath.
Very confusing here. The guy I was talking about was in my workspace, by taking responsibility for what happens there, I assume you are advising that I should tell him not to enter my office. But then you say that I don't make the rules. Then you say that I should take responsibility and go to walmart, but since I was at work and they are paying me to be there at my office I feel as though going to walmart in the middle of my work day would actually be IRRESPONSIBLE.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 PM

22,623 posts, read 16,743,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
Its one thing to say you can not smoke in a place where others are forced to breath it. But to say you don't want to smell it on them is stupid Liberal crap. I don't want to smell the onion you just ate or garlic or perfume you choose. But at what point does it become infringement the other way? Smell on someone is not your business. Unless its unreasonable. If someone does not keep them-self clean its one thing if it stops people from being able to function. But just because some after scent is not to your liking, is not a reason to tell others how to live. What if Blue makes me upset, Do I have the right to tell you not to wear it? You do not have a right to tell some smoker that you can detect that they have smoked a cigarette so they have to stop.

I don't smoke and will not start, its a horrible danger to my health. But I will not tell someone how to live either.
Don't forget coffee breath. Holy hell with some of you and your coffee breath. You want to come up to my desk after drinking coffee, breathe in my area and make me have to hold my breath lest I puke. Yes, some of you with coffee breath reek that badly!

Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 PM

24,675 posts, read 9,591,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You know what I can't stand? Fellow employees who spend more time spewing hatred on internet forums than doing the work they are paid to do. They are a drag on the office and the rest of us has to pull their weight and make up for the time they spent goofing off on the internet.
I was off today!!!!!!!!

It's called sarcasm my good man.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:43 PM

12,012 posts, read 2,215,471 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies