U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 PM

743 posts, read 565,301 times

Advertisements

I don't smoke cigs nor really advocate it(I think it's unhealthy and dangerous) . However, it's their choice, perhaps help them a) cut down their anxiety (b slows down potential obesity, etc. It seems like their rights are very stripped. If people want to do it, it's up to them. Yes, they are smelling up where you work but instead of putting the hammer down on everyone, yes yourself might be included in such an office restriction(such as no perfumes because that might bother people too down to food smells coming out of the lunch room). How about talking to management, or the person themself, to try to figure out what they can do to have less smell. Maybe install fans at the smokers area?

So, do we really need more nanny stating? No.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 PM

22,636 posts, read 16,753,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I support smokers rights. I support everyone rights. The people who don't support people's rights are the smokers who fill the air people are breathing with their toxic, carcinogenic stench, and the ground with their roaches.

Yes, the true disrespectors of rights in this debate are the smokers, who feel that they are the ONLY one with rights.

A vile, disgusting, rotten bunch of SOBs if ever there were any.
You used to smoke, didn't you?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:40 PM

22,636 posts, read 16,753,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
How much of the population drinks coffee, many. If you can't beat em, join em, and have a cup. Live and be merry, you only get one opportunity, don't sweat the small stuff.
I was simply using their own logic back at them. Frankly I don't get that close to coffee drinkers anymore.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 PM

24,675 posts, read 9,598,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I was simply using their own logic back at them. Frankly I don't get that close to coffee drinkers anymore.
2nd hand caffeine was making you sluggish?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Feel better now for spewing a little?
Pre Pubescent Post

Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You used to smoke, didn't you?
Never. Batting 0%

Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,666,328 times
First of all, there is no scientific evidence that the lingering odor of cigarette smoke will cause cancer.

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke as much as anyone. It's disgusting. But I also hate the smell of people's perfumes/after shaves/shampoos/etc. I hate the smell of the chemicals that are used to clean office buildings. I hate the off-gasing of formaldehyde in furniture and building products. Etc. Etc.

I'm pretty annoyed that people will talk so disdainfully of those addicted to cigarettes. There is a theory in psychology (that is just as legitimate as the other addiction theories) that the only people who become addicted to substances are those who experience negative reinforcement. That is, they are self medicating for something and the substance they become addicted to is the only thing in their repertoire that diminishes their suffering.

Only about 15% of those who ever use "addictive" substances actually develop any type of dependence. These substances aren't inherently addictive. They are only addictive to those who need them to reduce some type of suffering that they normally experience.

Most people do not know that nicotine is a natural anti depressant. Beyond that, cigarette smoke works as an MAOI. I have had depression since I was a preteen. I didn't really know what depression really was, and since it had been pretty much all I had ever known, I didn't seek out any treatment. Then one day, I was drinking beer at a bar with some friends who smoked. I tried my first cigarette and my mood lifted. I didn't feel so tired/unmotivated. I could think clearly, even though I was drinking beer! And so, then...I continued to smoke, even though I realized all the risks and had always thought that smokers were the biggest idiots on the face of the planet. And I did continue to smoke, because, for the first time in my life, I wasn't so depressed. It wasn't completely gone, for sure, but it was much better.

The thing is, for most people, a cigarette isn't going to do anything impressive enough to try a second time. It's disgusting. It smells, as you all know. It tastes really frickin gross. It doesn't get you high. It doesn't do anything that you would notice unless you already need that mild stimulation.

Within a year of starting, though, I began to try to quit. Every. Single. Time. I got back to being depressed. Back to suicidal thoughts and such. I tried all the nicotine replacement products, including the e cigarette. I am pretty convinced at this point that there is something other than just nicotine that keeps people hooked. It's a synergy of more than one chemical that is having these effects. It's not just a habit. It's chemicals working on the brain like an anti-depressant.

It wasn't until I started getting treatment for depression, combined with both wellbutrin and chantix, that I was able to quit for more than a few months and not want to literally off myself.

Anyway. The message is that smokers are likely suffering from at least some form of mild mental illness. So chillax and have some frickin compassion, if they are not exposing you to second hand smoke. Do you think people like inhaling toxic chemicals just because they can?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,118,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Smoking outside the confines of home should be illegal...period.
How about women wearing short skirts?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 PM

20,606 posts, read 8,781,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
First of all, there is no scientific evidence that the lingering odor of cigarette smoke will cause cancer.

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke as much as anyone. It's disgusting. But I also hate the smell of people's perfumes/after shaves/shampoos/etc. I hate the smell of the chemicals that are used to clean office buildings. I hate the off-gasing of formaldehyde in furniture and building products. Etc. Etc.

I'm pretty annoyed that people will talk so disdainfully of those addicted to cigarettes. There is a theory in psychology (that is just as legitimate as the other addiction theories) that the only people who become addicted to substances are those who experience negative reinforcement. That is, they are self medicating for something and the substance they become addicted to is the only thing in their repertoire that diminishes their suffering.

Only about 15% of those who ever use "addictive" substances actually develop any type of dependence. These substances aren't inherently addictive. They are only addictive to those who need them to reduce some type of suffering that they normally experience.

Most people do not know that nicotine is a natural anti depressant. Beyond that, cigarette smoke works as an MAOI. I have had depression since I was a preteen. I didn't really know what depression really was, and since it had been pretty much all I had ever known, I didn't seek out any treatment. Then one day, I was drinking beer at a bar with some friends who smoked. I tried my first cigarette and my mood lifted. I didn't feel so tired/unmotivated. I could think clearly, even though I was drinking beer! And so, then...I continued to smoke, even though I realized all the risks and had always thought that smokers were the biggest idiots on the face of the planet. And I did continue to smoke, because, for the first time in my life, I wasn't so depressed. It wasn't completely gone, for sure, but it was much better.

The thing is, for most people, a cigarette isn't going to do anything impressive enough to try a second time. It's disgusting. It smells, as you all know. It tastes really frickin gross. It doesn't get you high. It doesn't do anything that you would notice unless you already need that mild stimulation.

Within a year of starting, though, I began to try to quit. Every. Single. Time. I got back to being depressed. Back to suicidal thoughts and such. I tried all the nicotine replacement products, including the e cigarette. I am pretty convinced at this point that there is something other than just nicotine that keeps people hooked. It's a synergy of more than one chemical that is having these effects. It's not just a habit. It's chemicals working on the brain like an anti-depressant.

It wasn't until I started getting treatment for depression, combined with both wellbutrin and chantix, that I was able to quit for more than a few months and not want to literally off myself.

Anyway. The message is that smokers are likely suffering from at least some form of mild mental illness. So chillax and have some frickin compassion, if they are not exposing you to second hand smoke. Do you think people like inhaling toxic chemicals just because they can?
That's just not true at all. I started smoking in high school because everyone did and it was the cool thing to do. People pick up smoking for many different reasons but not because they have some sort of mental illness. But once you start it's very hard to stop since nicotine is so addictive. It's normal to become depressed when you quit because you're not getting your fix.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,666,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
That's just not true at all. I started smoking in high school because everyone did and it was the cool thing to do. People pick up smoking for many different reasons but not because they have some sort of mental illness. But once you start it's very hard to stop since nicotine is so addictive. It's normal to become depressed when you quit because you're not getting your fix.
But you were able to quit, weren't you? Without multiple medications or wanting to kill yourself? There is obviously a rebound effect and even people who aren't depressed will get depressed with cessation. It's difficult to quit for everyone because there are withdrawals, but it is much more difficult for people who are self medicating. Only 32% of people who ever use tobacco products get addicted. Why is that? How can 68% take it and leave it, while a minority can't?

I have taken opiates for long periods of time without getting addicted (for medical reasons, legally, if anyone cares). The withdrawals sucked and made me want to find some more, but I could deal with it. However, there is a minority of people who can't because opiates fix something for them.

Last edited by soanchorless; 04-26-2013 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: wrong percentages, oops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies