Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
and don't forget garlic and onions. No one should eat them if they have to go back to work. I use to work with a guy that smelled like that all the time.
I don't get you Donna. In one post your telling me that if smoke makes me legit sick then I should be the one to quit my job. In the next post you make a helluva good point about people smelling at garlic and onions. I've worked with people like that too, it IS gross and should not be tolerated. And it wasn't. The guy smelled at garlic for 3 days in a row. no idea why. But the boss finally told him he had to take care of it.
meanwhile smokers in and out all day stinking the joint up.

But why is it too harsh to say smokers should be considerate of other people, OR employers should take responsibility for their child like selfishness... but it's not too harsh to say what you said about garlic and onions. Kind of a double standard, no?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Please explain how what I said is "over the top"?
I stated the fact that most companies have rules against the amount of perfume/cologne people wear. Most companies will take issue with an employee who is smelly or excessively sweating. And asked why they don't treat smokers the same way?

For my post and for admitting how the smell that lingered in my office affected me I've been called a whiner and a bunch of other immature nonsense, which I find funny and ironic but won't get into that now

But please Stripes17, explain to me what part of my question is "over the top"?
Quit arguing. You're right but this place is bizarro world when it comes to this topic.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Yet another example of the mindless, infantile extremes tobacco-addicts go to in order to attempt to trivilize their filth.

Well, bucko, it isn't working - nobody buys it, any more than being nauseated by the smell fo coffee - NOBODY is BUYING IT!!
Yet another example of the mindless, infantile extremes anti tobacco-idiots go to in order to attempt to trivilize their filthy minds.

Well, bucko, it isn't working - nobody buys it, any more than being nauseated by the smell fo coffee - NOBODY is BUYING IT!!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Quit arguing. You're right but this place is bizarro world when it comes to this topic.
*sigh* I know, I know.

I don't get why I'm doing it. Usually 3 posts in a thread and I laugh at the insanity and leave it alone. But this one, just blew my mind. Seemed simple enough, smokers aren't allowed to smoke in public places for a reason. Going outside for a few minutes and coming right back in defeats the purpose of them being sent outside in the first place. Next thing I know I'm a liberal wuss who needs to man up. lol

But you're right. I'm done. This is pointless.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:18 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
I understand that the smell of smoke can be distracting at the workplace, and I try to be considerate. I usually put on a light coat that I keep in my car when I go out for a smoke, and take a breath mint and wash my hands and face when I get back in. No one notices the smell.

/shrug

If some of the more caustic posters in this thread ever talked like that to me in person, I'd happily blow some CO in their face

Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
I'm sitting here in my office minding my own business when a co-worker walks in, straight from a smoke break, to ask for my help on something.
The entire time he's in the office and for at least a minute after he left the stench of smoke was in the air, and my eyes literally began to water.

This is of course nothing new, something I along with many others have encountered for years. The issue I've always taken with it is that in every office I've worked for a part of the employee handbook states that women should not wear an excessive amount of perfume, nor should men with cologne, because many people are sensitive to those. Well the same is true of cigarette smoke. Sending smokers outside for a break doesn't help much at all.

Is there any reason employers don't just simply ban their workers from entering in to the office smelling at smoke? If went to the city dump this morning and rolled around in trash for an hour I'd smell terrible, if I showed up at work my boss would send me home. Why not the same treatment for smokers?

i was really teed off the other day when i stepped on a piece of gum stuck to the sidwalk and fell face first on a used baby diaper. my left hand hit a tossed lit cig and got burned, my right hand hit a pile of dog poo..and you think you had a bad day??

stop whining gees....

Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
I don't get you Donna. In one post your telling me that if smoke makes me legit sick then I should be the one to quit my job. In the next post you make a helluva good point about people smelling at garlic and onions. I've worked with people like that too, it IS gross and should not be tolerated. And it wasn't. The guy smelled at garlic for 3 days in a row. no idea why. But the boss finally told him he had to take care of it.
meanwhile smokers in and out all day stinking the joint up.

But why is it too harsh to say smokers should be considerate of other people, OR employers should take responsibility for their child like selfishness... but it's not too harsh to say what you said about garlic and onions. Kind of a double standard, no?
Smokers are living, breathing (and stinking) examples of double-standards. Their rights are sacred, you right not to be assaulted with their effluent, are trifles.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I understand that the smell of smoke can be distracting at the workplace, and I try to be considerate. I usually put on a light coat that I keep in my car when I go out for a smoke, and take a breath mint and wash my hands and face when I get back in. No one notices the smell.

/shrug

If some of the more caustic posters in this thread ever talked like that to me in person, I'd happily blow some CO in their face
You'd get a knee in the crotch if you did, me thinks.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
*sigh* I know, I know.

I don't get why I'm doing it. Usually 3 posts in a thread and I laugh at the insanity and leave it alone. But this one, just blew my mind. Seemed simple enough, smokers aren't allowed to smoke in public places for a reason. Going outside for a few minutes and coming right back in defeats the purpose of them being sent outside in the first place. Next thing I know I'm a liberal wuss who needs to man up. lol

Why don't the addicts just "man up" and live without their filthy during the work-day.

Oh yes, I forgot, the double-standard. Manning up applies only to non-smokers. Got it. Smokers are disgusting swine.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
*sigh* I know, I know.

The thing that gets me is how some in here were trying to compare it to food or perfume smells. Companies have policies to keep down any strong odor. That should include cig smoke too cuz...

1. It reeks
2. It's poison!!!!!

I don't like any overt odor but when you top it off with the fact it's poison it should be a no brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies