Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Smoking outside the confines of home should be illegal...period.
Under what grounds?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM

382 posts, read 588,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I'm sitting here in my office minding my own business when a co-worker walks in, straight from a smoke break, to ask for my help on something.
The entire time he's in the office and for at least a minute after he left the stench of smoke was in the air, and my eyes literally began to water.

This is of course nothing new, something I along with many others have encountered for years. The issue I've always taken with it is that in every office I've worked for a part of the employee handbook states that women should not wear an excessive amount of perfume, nor should men with cologne, because many people are sensitive to those. Well the same is true of cigarette smoke. Sending smokers outside for a break doesn't help much at all.

Is there any reason employers don't just simply ban their workers from entering in to the office smelling at smoke? If went to the city dump this morning and rolled around in trash for an hour I'd smell terrible, if I showed up at work my boss would send me home. Why not the same treatment for smokers?
Suck it up. If someone puts on cologne you don't like you do not have a right to tell them they can't use it. They are already smoking outside, you do not have the right to tell them that they can't. If you don't like it quit and go work for your self.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM

382 posts, read 588,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If I were an employer, I would never hire a smoker. They have a full-time job already feeding their addictions.
And your not an employer because your anal?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Alcoholics and people with AID's are covered by Americans with Disability Act, ADA. So I don't know why an addiction to smoking wouldn't be. They cannot be fired for their disability, and you cannot refuse to hire them.
Smokers have never been protected by the federal government. It is perfectly legal to refuse to hire smokers in most states. If the company has a stated policy of only hiring non-smokers, and employee can be fired if they are found to have smoked.

Alcoholics are protected under ADA, but that doesn't mean they get a free pass. Many alcoholics don't drink and they are great employees. An employee can be fired if alcohol impacts their job performance, even if they are an alcoholic.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
Suck it up. If someone puts on cologne you don't like you do not have a right to tell them they can't use it. They are already smoking outside, you do not have the right to tell them that they can't. If you don't like it quit and go work for your self.
Actually as I laid out in the post most companies do acknowledge the cologne/perfume issue yet ignore the smoking one.

I like how the idea of telling people not to smoke during work hours, thus giving them the choice of either finding another job or "sucking it up" and not smoking at work somehow seems terrible, but the idea of someone getting sick (through no choice of their own other then wanting to keep my job) is a-ok.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
I'm sitting here in my office minding my own business when a co-worker walks in, straight from a smoke break, to ask for my help on something.
The entire time he's in the office and for at least a minute after he left the stench of smoke was in the air, and my eyes literally began to water.

This is of course nothing new, something I along with many others have encountered for years. The issue I've always taken with it is that in every office I've worked for a part of the employee handbook states that women should not wear an excessive amount of perfume, nor should men with cologne, because many people are sensitive to those. Well the same is true of cigarette smoke. Sending smokers outside for a break doesn't help much at all.

Is there any reason employers don't just simply ban their workers from entering in to the office smelling at smoke? If went to the city dump this morning and rolled around in trash for an hour I'd smell terrible, if I showed up at work my boss would send me home. Why not the same treatment for smokers?

Ah yes ... the leader of the American Taliban. One of your fellow authoritarians has a much more efficient solution ... just execute the smokers. I find that to be just a tad more psychopathic, but no real difference in the base attitude and delusion that you actually have a right to dictate to others.

While the odor of stale cigarette smoke is not particularly attractive, it's not nearly as offensive as many whose personal hygiene is altogether inadequate. What should the punishment be for perspiring? Life in prison, or just probation for first offenses?

And please spare us the threat to your health ... as there is no threat. People like you are just angry, unhappy, miserable people who want everyone else to be as miserable and unhappy as they are.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Hey ~ I have an idea for all you 'smaller government' lovers! Let's pass some more laws about smoking, shall we?

Then ~ after that, let's move onto the size of soda drinks . . . . . . because I certainly don't want to pay for some fat slob's healthcare costs.

Oh, are we getting into areas that you don't think should be legislated? Too bad. Oh, and gun legislation? It'll be back. Because some I don't want some knuckle dragger with an IQ of negative 3 endangering my health by owning a gun.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I think we ought to ban everyone from everything, except me, of course!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Time to start cracking down on smokers

Quote:

What you think should be done by employers is going too far. Which reminds me, did you brush your teeth today? Maybe you can ban people you don't want to smell from your office, but an employer shouldn't be expected to do that.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Time to start cracking down on smokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Smoking outside the confines of home should be illegal...period.
So should stupidity, but it is not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies