U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM

16,553 posts, read 11,467,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And there you have it! Just make up stuff! Lol
You totalitarians are the ones making stuff up. Your health is NOT impacted at all by anything I listed. Now go play on the highway or something.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:55 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,129,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Ah yes ... the leader of the American Taliban. One of your fellow authoritarians has a much more efficient solution ... just execute the smokers. I find that to be just a tad more psychopathic, but no real difference in the base attitude and delusion that you actually have a right to dictate to others.

While the odor of stale cigarette smoke is not particularly attractive, it's not nearly as offensive as many whose personal hygiene is altogether inadequate. What should the punishment be for perspiring? Life in prison, or just probation for first offenses?

And please spare us the threat to your health ... as there is no threat. People like you are just angry, unhappy, miserable people who want everyone else to be as miserable and unhappy as they are.
Alright, here is a fun one. FILLED with ignorance, and I don't even mean that as an insult, you throw out the line "people like you are just angry, unhappy, miserable..." you don't know me at all and truly could not be farther from the truth. But you've read my post so you know, and I'm lying right? Maybe I was wrong, MAYBE you're not ignorant, but you sound delusional for sure.

Again, the rest of your post leads me to the same indecisive conclusion, are you delusional or just ignorant. You bring up the personal hygene issue yet again, something that's been discussed throughout this thread, then start talking about executing people. Now we are going down the weak ass slippery slope argument. Someone brings up the question of how do we deal with a real issue and you act like everyone is calling for the execution of smokers. Yes, someone said smokers should be executed, or something equally as silly, but you were quoting my post. My Mother is a smoker and I love my Mother, clearly I do not want her to be executed. Which actually brings me to my final point. When I was a child was constantly sick and it was caused due to my Mother's constant air of smoke that I was forced to inhale. One Doctor brought up the possibility of contacting CPS if she continued to smoke around me because I was constantly missing school due to issues from her smoking. Of course she quit smoking around me and began smoking outside the house, she got to the point of waiting 10-15 minutes after she put her ciggy out before reentering the house because of the very issue that my OP was about.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 AM

24,651 posts, read 9,579,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You totalitarians are the ones making stuff up. Your health is NOT impacted at all by anything I listed. Now go play on the highway or something.
I'm smoking a cheeseburger right now. I'll be out in the highway in a minute.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,446,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Actually, tobacco effluent DOES cause cancer, both among those addicted to it, and thos involuntarioly exposed to it. It also cause a lot of other helath/comfort issues. Do you LIKE inflicting msery on your fellow citizens?
Bullhockey.

Never, ever, ever, ever believe a single word that comes out of the CDC. Never.

Some people smell like the soap they use. Often, clothes smell like detergent or softener. What about hair spray? Deodorant? And the obvious: perfume.

And the diesel clouds that come from buses? It makes me nauseous. I don't cry for a ban on buses. I deal with it and drive on.

I vape. Chocolate/Coffee is my vape of choice. Some people have told me it smells wonderful. Others have told me it stinks.

Everybody needs something to whine about, I guess.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,129,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
What you think should be done by employers is going too far. Which reminds me, did you brush your teeth today? Maybe you can ban people you don't want to smell from your office, but an employer shouldn't be expected to do that.
I did brush my teeth this morning thank you.

I worked with a fellow who had extremely bad BO and was talked to about it a few times and was told that next time he'd be sent home. The guy was given the choice do something about his BO or be sent home without pay.

Why the double standard when it comes to smokers?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM

34,957 posts, read 31,977,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
This^^^^^^^^^

I predict that bothering people with this kind of smoke will be considered okay.
weed smells good when being smoked, what is it in cigs that makes them smell so vile?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM

24,651 posts, read 9,579,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
weed smells good when being smoked, what is it in cigs that makes them smell so vile?
The smell isn't my issue. The issue is: what are you releasing in the air and if it's going to be harmful to me.

I don't like the smell of either substance but much prefer the smell of weed if I had to choose.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,585,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Alcoholics and people with AID's are covered by Americans with Disability Act, ADA. So I don't know why an addiction to smoking wouldn't be. They cannot be fired for their disability, and you cannot refuse to hire them.
I certainly can.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,585,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1angrytaxpayer View Post
t o b a c c o

Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,466,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
We'd have to look at existing statutes and go from there. Releasing poison or covering yourself in poison is a good place to start.
You still haven't justified your view. Why shouldn't a smoker be allowed to smoke outside their home if they don't harm anyone? How about in a private club or restaurant that wants to make its business a place for smokers to enjoy?

Or in an outdoor place, far from other people?

BTW - I am not a smoker. Never have been. Don't like smoke much. But a whiff of tobacco here and there doesn't cause me any harm. Certainly not enough for the government to act and pass laws. I also believe smokers need to clean up their act - especially with litter. I wish we could solve that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies