Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:26 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Ask the lobbyists for big box stores and the states themselves; they are the ones who have been whining about this for years.
That's just it--the demand for this is coming from the retailers with brick and mortar stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
People if you want to improve you're financial health stop listening to people who are poor. One, if they are poor how can they know anything about the economy or finance. Their own finances is amess. How can they have an opinion of value. Their thoughts are born of jealousy, vengeance, feelings of victimization and lack of financial understanding.

It is common sense, if you want to become financially better off don't listen to people who are poor.

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo631 View Post
Now Obama and congress are going to tax internet sales???

When is enough going to be enough for the pigs? Thought Obama wasn't going to raise taxes ,

This is the biggest tax increase ever. I buy and sell online. The government is going to hurt small us businesses because people will choose to buy direct from international sellers instead. Everyone loses. Fat government pigs win.
Why don't you read the proposed legislation before you complain? The legislation doesn't collect any federal taxes at all. There is no federal tax involved. Instead the proposal makes it easier for states to enforce existing laws on sales taxes and/or require out of state sellers to collect sales tax.

I buy tons of stuff on the internet. But I have no problem with eliminating the economic advantage out of state sellers have over local retailers. I am sensitive to a local seller losing business because of an 8% advantage for out of state sellers that have no local positive economic impact.

If you are a small business you probably won't be affected anyways. Quit whining. Streamline your business. I don't know what you sell, but what do you sell that someone would go international for instead?

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
A federal tax on internet sales isn't far behind.

Sounds like a great idea: make it HST and share it with state and local govts. Gets around the "10,000 jurisdictions" problem just like that.

Especially if combined with improvements to EITC as compensation for VAT regressivity - and increased Capital Gains to pay for the EITC.

Bring it.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Oh, and btw: Amazon does NOT collect tax. None.
Really? I buy from Amazon all the time. They collect sales tax from my transactions (Texas).

Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's just it--the demand for this is coming from the retailers with brick and mortar stores.
I know people who run brick and mortars and a long time ago they were told that the Internet was an important part of business but they did not want to keep up with the times so they are now feeling the effects of their poor decision and a couple of them are out of business.

When in business keep up with the times or go out of business. It's as simple as that.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If the bill was going to equal out the fairness, then it would LOWER the sales taxes already being paid and then raised the rates for online sales to balance out in the middle. The fact that the revenues dotn go to the federal government doesnt mean they dont have to be paid and companies like mine wont have to pay tens of thousands of dollars to comply with the 10,000 different taxing jurisdiction in the nation.

Yeah, you never have a problem high 5ng policies that are harmful to small businesses, why is that?
Sorry, Congress has no authority to lower state sales taxes.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:37 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
What? No chart?

You just flat don't get it. Never have, never will.

I can promise you one thing, without question: A federal tax on internet sales isn't far behind. Only a complete, utter, total fool wouldn't see it coming.

Oh, and btw: Amazon does NOT collect tax. None.
Tell that to the people of the following states:

Arizona
California
Kansas
Kentucky
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Texas
Washington

Maybe next time you will actually research something before you make such a proclamation.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo631 View Post
Now Obama and congress are going to tax internet sales???

When is enough going to be enough for the pigs? Thought Obama wasn't going to raise taxes ,

This is the biggest tax increase ever. I buy and sell online. The government is going to hurt small us businesses because people will choose to buy direct from international sellers instead. Everyone loses. Fat government pigs win.
So, after all the good information members have given you here, will you be throwing in the towel, or charge 15 cents more per item?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Sorry, Congress has no authority to lower state sales taxes.
Nothing is stopping them from writing legislation which authorizes states to collect sales taxes across the borders provided they even out what theyc ollect. For gods sakes, stop being dumb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies