Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,034,553 times

Advertisements

Every American should have a Social Security Number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,910,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
You can do background checks without ID's and why did you single out minorities?
Perhaps because that is who "they" say would be harmed by requiring ID to vote:
Minorities
The poor
The elderly
"They" say that those classes of people would not be able to get an ID card to identify themselves at the polls, so it would be discriminatory to require them to have such an ID.
BUT it is OK to require an ID to REGISTER to vote, or to buy a gun, or buy alcoholic beverages, or apply for Social Security benefits (which are now direct deposit only, which requires a bank or credit union account, which requires an ID to open...), or buy tobacco products, or get medical care, or ...
Well, you get the picture.

Oh, and by the way, I have purchased several guns over the last few years, and every time the Federal Form was filled out for the background check, A PICTURE ID WITH CURRENT ADDRESS WAS REQUIRED! So, based purely on personal experience, an ID certainly IS required before the background check can proceed! It is worthy of note that my Retired Military ID card was not accepted because it does not have an address on it!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:05 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,203,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Better question: "Would POTUS pass a full background investigation, such as that required of ANYBODY else who needs a Top Secret Clearance for his work?"
IMO, everybody who wants to run for elective office should have to pass such an investigation before they can get their name on the ballot!
Yes, that includes ALL the members of Congress, and anybody else who has access to classified material!
Do you have any reason to believe that POTUS would not pass a background check? Are you a birther?

Old 04-27-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Do you have any reason to believe that POTUS would not pass a background check? Are you a birther?
Well, let's see...
Eisenhower would have passed such a check (in fact, he did!)
Same for Truman
Same for Carter
Same for Kennedy
Clinton? I don't know.
obama? I doubt if he would want such an in-depth check done. Quite possibly Michelle wouldn't, either. If there is a skeleton in their closet(s), such a check would find it.
I wonder how many members of Congress would not be granted a security clearance if they were required to get one...
It isn't that difficult, shucks, I even had one myself! Top Secret, IIRC.

Me, a "birther"? Oh, no, I could care less where obama was born. I don't KNOW, and I don't CARE! However, I do find it interesting that he lived in Indonesia, and was listed on the school records as Barry Soetoro, a Muslim and a citizen of Indonesia. Interesting, but at this time pretty much meaningless, so I really don't care much about that, either.
At the present time, IMO, obama is an empty suit taking up space. He is not only a "lame duck" president, he is pretty much a dead duck president. He will be more useless as time goes on, until his term is over. Hopefully, we will have a decent choice at the next POTUS election. We sure didn't last time!

Old 04-27-2013, 06:29 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,027,465 times
Quote:
Well, let's see...
Same for Truman
Same for Carter
Same for Kennedy
Clinton? I don't know.
obama? I doubt if he would want such an in-depth check done. Quite possibly Michelle wouldn't, either. If there is a skeleton in their closet(s), such a check would find it.
I wonder how many members of Congress would not be granted a security clearance if they were required to get one...
Top Secret IYRC? You don't remember your clearance? Who doesn't remember their clearance? Seriously?

Okay... let's leave that behind and simply point out first and foremost that security clearances are determined subjectively. I did have a Top Secret (SCI) clearance, and at 22 years of age I was a nuclear surety officer in Turkey, with custody of and tactical responsibility for nuclear artillery warheads. And I am the son of a Mafia princess, grandson of a mid-level Mafia Don. I was shocked to get the clearance. But I got it.

Anybody who pretends to know whether or not Barack Obama would have received a security clearance is talking completely out of their ass.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Top Secret IYRC? You don't remember your clearance? Who doesn't remember their clearance? Seriously?

Okay... let's leave that behind and simply point out first and foremost that security clearances are determined subjectively. I did have a Top Secret (SCI) clearance, and at 22 years of age I was a nuclear surety officer in Turkey, with custody of and tactical responsibility for nuclear artillery warheads. And I am the son of a Mafia princess, grandson of a mid-level Mafia Don. I was shocked to get the clearance. But I got it.

Anybody who pretends to know whether or not Barack Obama would have received a security clearance is talking completely out of their ass.
Now, get real! Just WHERE did I "pretend to know" whether obama would get a clearance IF a full background investigation was done? I merely pointed out that a full background check just might (NOTE: MIGHT) bring to light things he doesn't want anybody to know! Of course, the same goes for his wife!

And, NO, I do not remember if my clearance was Secret or Top Secret. It was last granted about 20 years ago, when I was maintenance mechanic for a Naval Communications Station. It was one or the other, but I do NOT remember which. Nor do I really care. At this stage of my life it is pretty meaningless anyway.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,027,465 times
Quote:
Now, get real! Just WHERE did I "pretend to know" whether obama would get a clearance IF a full background investigation was done? I merely pointed out that a full background check just might (NOTE: MIGHT) bring to light things he doesn't want anybody to know! Of course, the same goes for his wife!
Considering that this MIGHT also have been true about Jesus Christ, why make the comment at all if it was not intended entirely as a gratuitous smear? Seriously, the post makes no sense except as the (by this time completely boring) insinuation that he could not. Playing stupid only works if you really want people to believe that you actually are stupid. Is that your intent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven
And, NO, I do not remember if my clearance was Secret or Top Secret. It was last granted about 20 years ago, when I was maintenance mechanic for a Naval Communications Station. It was one or the other, but I do NOT remember which. Nor do I really care. At this stage of my life it is pretty meaningless anyway.
That's insane, and can only be accounted for if you really had essentially no clearance at all. They hand out Confidential clearances to anyone who can walk and spit at the same time. Does that one ring a bell?

Old 04-27-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Considering that this MIGHT also have been true about Jesus Christ, why make the comment at all if it was not intended entirely as a gratuitous smear? Seriously, the post makes no sense except as the (by this time completely boring) insinuation that he could not. Playing stupid only works if you really want people to believe that you actually are stupid. Is that your intent?

Only if YOU want it to be. Your insults have no meaning to me, I have been insulted by MUCH better people.

That's insane, and can only be accounted for if you really had essentially no clearance at all. They hand out Confidential clearances to anyone who can walk and spit at the same time. Does that one ring a bell?
Yeah, it does. I held a Confidential Clearance when working in an Aircraft Maintenance Planning Office at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island (Ault Field) in 1961-1962. Big deal, so what!
Of course, it is entirely possible that YOUR opinion of my memory can be accounted for only by YOUR over-inflated immense ego! Too bad the rest of the world can't live up to YOUR expectations.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,203,698 times
Quote:
Well, let's see...
Same for Truman
Same for Carter
Same for Kennedy
Clinton? I don't know.
What leads you to that conclusion? The majority of Americans vetted him twice. So what else do you need?

Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 PM

1,127 posts, read 901,237 times
Quote:
Well, let's see...
Same for Truman
Same for Carter
Same for Kennedy
Clinton? I don't know.

Me, a "birther"? Oh, no, I could care less where obama was born. I don't KNOW, and I don't CARE! However, I do find it interesting that he lived in Indonesia, and was listed on the school records as Barry Soetoro, a Muslim and a citizen of Indonesia. Interesting, but at this time pretty much meaningless, so I really don't care much about that, either.
At the present time, IMO, obama is an empty suit taking up space. He is not only a "lame duck" president, he is pretty much a dead duck president. He will be more useless as time goes on, until his term is over. Hopefully, we will have a decent choice at the next POTUS election. We sure didn't last time!
I'm more inclined to believe a used car salesman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies