Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,801,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yet another failure by the Democrats. Your overwhelming desire to bring back those bigoted days is noted, and it certainly explains your freakish obsession with skin color.
Congrats on the most epic fail post of the day

It sounds like you support bringing back the good ol' glory days of Jim Crow as well

Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,890,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Good. Strike one up for personal freedom. I shouldn't have to cater to your behavioral choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Agreed. LGBTs and those carrying licensed guns are not considered a race. You cannot refuse business to someone based solely on their race. You can based on their behavior, and you can't force someone to accept a behavior.
I must have missed the part where gays were fighting for the right to have sex in public places. Please point out where it says that.

And if you're saying businesses should start discriminating on private sexual behaviors, are you okay with telling every shop owner your entire history? I wanna know how many people you've been with, whether you've had sex outside of marriage, ANY non-procreative acts (oral, anal, birth control) etc, so I can determine if you too make "behavioral choices" that go against my religion. While we're at it, I would also like to know if you ever lie, cheat, disrespect your elders, don't keep Sabbath, or break any other law of the Torah. Fair enough?

P.S. Learn the differences between a choice vs behavior vs orientation... really, it's quite simple if you know how to use a dictionary.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-29-2013 at 01:23 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,890,019 times
One more thing, before I take leave of this over-played topic - forcing a business to carry a product, or to provide a specific service, is NOT the same as enforcing anti-discrimination laws. If a Kosher or Halal market doesn't carry pork, they don't carry it for any customer regardless of their background. Thus everyone is treated equally, and has equal rights to buy or not buy whatever they do sell. That is in no way similar to a Muslim shop owner selling his Halal meats to other Muslims, while refusing that sale to a Jewish customer.

GET IT????

Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,369,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
True liberty means having the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

What if a muslim butcher were ordered to sell pork products to the handicapped person who lives upstairs and cannot get pork elsewhere?

Can the man, should the government force the muslim to force sell pork?
A 'muslim' butcher can't be forced to sell pork products or anything else he doesn't want to. However if he did sell pork products normally, but he refused to sell pork products to someone just because they were handicapped, then it's discrimination.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Far from the truth. A business owner can discriminate based on height, weight, eye color, baldness, wearing plaid, and many other arbitrary reasons. The great gay victories are mostly due to gaining recognition in some laws as a protected class, which isn't given to people based on the other things I mentioned.
The protected class is sexual orientation- which means gay AND straight people are protected on the basis of their sexual orientation. (in some states at least)

Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Good. Strike one up for personal freedom. I shouldn't have to cater to your behavioral choice.
Yet you expect other people to cater for your choice of religious beliefs and behavior?

Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
One more thing, before I take leave of this over-played topic - forcing a business to carry a product, or to provide a specific service, is NOT the same as enforcing anti-discrimination laws. If a Kosher or Halal market doesn't carry pork, they don't carry it for any customer regardless of their background. Thus everyone is treated equally, and has equal rights to buy or not buy whatever they do sell. That is in no way similar to a Muslim shop owner selling his Halal meats to other Muslims, while refusing that sale to a Jewish customer.

GET IT????
It's a pretty simple concept, yet so many posters on this thread just can't seem to grasp it.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,498,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
The protected class is sexual orientation- which means gay AND straight people are protected on the basis of their sexual orientation. (in some states at least)
You're being modest. It wasn't the heterosexual orientation who lobbies for and promotes anti-discrimination laws based on sexual orientation. Or hate crime laws based on sexual orientation. Or diversity or anti-bullying programd based on sexual orientation. Recognition of 'sexual orientation' as a distinctive class has been a great victory for the lgbt community.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,080,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If we can force a Christian florist to supply flowers to a same-sex wedding, can I force my local Kosher deli to carry bacon for me?

Can I force the Halal restaurant over in East Dearborn to put pork chops on the menu?

And why would I want to except to force my views on them?

The intolerance is practiced by homosexuals and their liberal friends who refuse to respect an honest difference of opinion, but I guess we should expect as much since their positions are illogical and indefensible, thus the constant baseless accusations of bigotry.
Sorry, I had to laugh at YOU calling someone else intolerant.

People can refuse to do business with anyone for any reason, even if it is because of race...they just don't admit it's racial.
I myself don't like to hire extremely religious people, or smokers.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,906,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
A 'muslim' butcher can't be forced to sell pork products or anything else he doesn't want to. However if he did sell pork products normally, but he refused to sell pork products to someone just because they were handicapped, then it's discrimination.
I agree, it is discrimination and it should be a legal act for the store owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies