Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
That is no excuse. If they believed[which they clearly did not] that there was any danger to those residents building close by, then they should have objected to someone...the city council, the state or the feds... that they were concerned of the proximity of homes to the plant.

The business was there before the other structures...

But they wanted everyone to think there was no danger. If the plant had kept to the regulations, as it is being suggested they did not, there might have not been a devastating fire...leading to the blast.

....there are many "suggestions", and a lot of conjecture, but little hard evidence. But, the owners have been tried and convicted by the public.

All this will be hashed out in do time...Hopefully in courts of Law.
The courts will be involved and Ilm quite certain that the owners will be left with a mountain of judgments. If there is negligence, let the courts decide,...not the internet lawyers on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 06:18 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
Texas Gov is HOT over Sac Bee's Jack Ohman cartoon.
Perry disgusted by cartoon depicting explosion | kvue.com Austin

The cartoon depicts Perry at a lecturn touting...Come to Texas, business is Booming..a banner behind him says...Low Tax-Low Regs[I'm including a description case the toon is copyright protected]. A side panel depicts the West, Tx explosion.

Rick is fumming, he wants Ohman fired. Even Greg Abbott, TxAG, wants action.

Business in Texas - Jack Ohman cartoons - The Sacramento Bee

Is the Cartoon disrespectful to West, Perry, or is it Free Speech?
I'm no lover of Perry at all but I find that cartoon rude. I've seen plenty of cartoons about Obama that I've considered rude as well. But, there is free speech.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:27 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Now if you commie libs want to understand the difference between "distasteful" and "witty, clever, and tasteful"

SAC BEE cartoon?..........DISTASTEFUL !!!!!!

Cartoon Below......... "Clever, witty and tasteful"

Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
has nothing to do with the families and you know it. if you care so much about the families, why aren't you asking questions??? Pretending like it didn't happen...that's a slap in the face to those families.
Since when does a crisis go to unclaimed by the left to gain more of the power over people.. The EPA are a bunch of idiots.. they stored toxic materials in barrels , left it there for decades to break opened in state of NY near the town where the kids developed ticks and no one makes a cartoon out of that... it is hush hush if it has to do with the government EPA messing up the environment.

It was a fire that broke out .. but that is all that is being said. The plant was not fully inspected since 1985.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It was NO accident at all. It was an act of negligence in the first degree.

By your reasoning it should be just fine to put any kind of dangerous industry smack dab in the middle of residents, schools, hospitals, etc. What is it that you don't understand about public safety? It's one of the prime responsibilities of the government to insure it!!!!!!!

Calling it an accident is just like calling a head on crash caused by a drunk, "an accident".
Another silly statement.

The thing blew because firemen were trying to put out the fire using WATER.

Seriously, if you're going to blame someone (you shouldn't, but you will), blame the dead firemen.

I do agree with you about the drunk driver, though.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:43 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
has nothing to do with the families and you know it. if you care so much about the families, why aren't you asking questions??? Pretending like it didn't happen...that's a slap in the face to those families.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Taratova. That cartoon is heartless to the families. No one should be publicly making fun, gleefullly I might add, of others tragedy. While there is free speech, sometimes you just have to put a cork in it. (not you, I mean the press & such)

Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Another silly statement.

The thing blew because firemen were trying to put out the fire using WATER.

Seriously, if you're going to blame someone (you shouldn't, but you will), blame the dead firemen.
No, water from the firefighters has been ruled out as a cause for the explosion:

"Investigators continue to treat the site as a crime scene, with no word on what caused the explosion. Friday evening, authorities absolved the firefighters of any blame after some speculation that the water used in fighting the original fire at the plant may have triggered the explosion."
Water Did Not Trigger West Fertilizer Plant Explosion « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Just a slap at Perry and Texas because California is losing businesses to Texas. Not difficult to see the "sour grapes" in the cartoon. If California's business climate were so great, no cartoon would have been necessary.
Bullsh*t. If its just sour grapes and Perry is holding all the cards, why doesn't he just blow it off and keep it moving?

I know why. Because that toon hit close to home and touched a nerve.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Bullsh*t. If its just sour grapes and Perry is holding all the cards, why doesn't he just blow it off and keep it moving?

I know why. Because that toon hit close to home and touched a nerve.
Only an idiot would arrive at that conclusion? Are you an idiot?

Perry had run some ads in California enticing business to move to Texas,...and several a week/month were doing just that. This cartoon was a backhanded slap at Perry but nevertheless slapped those who lost their lives trying to stop the fire.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Only an idiot would arrive at that conclusion? Are you an idiot?

Perry had run some ads in California enticing business to move to Texas,...and several a week/month were doing just that. This cartoon was a backhanded slap at Perry but nevertheless slapped those who lost their lives trying to stop the fire.
Yes! Let's ignore the "low-reg" written twice on the cartoon and instead make it about some advertisements; its not as if (de)(low)(high)regulation has ever been a controversial issue or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies