Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 AM

20,893 posts, read 16,010,432 times

Advertisements

Because they are responsible members of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,620,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
Rush Limbaugh will provide them. And when he can't Sean Hannity will.
No. It will come from "Obama's stash" - don't you remember? That's where everything comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Because they are responsible members of society.
Yes, and the more we pay in taxes, the more responsible...err...the more patriotic we are (to quote a distinguished national leader).

Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 AM

44,983 posts, read 26,132,413 times
Of course the enjoyment is in knowing I am smart/mature/rational/responsible/adult/open-minded enough to recognize that all the things the government provides for me could never be accomplished any other way.

But what I enjoy even more,is seeing my neighbor gain the same awareness and offering up his $$$ to our beloved state.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 AM

185 posts, read 471,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
...a stupid assertion.

Did you have some actual point to make?
my point is, why do people prefer to give up almost 50% of the product of their labour to such an inefficient system ?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,227,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
my point is, why do people prefer to give up almost 50% of the product of their labour to such an inefficient system ?
Don't know about you but for me it's about 33 percent. And again, I don't prefer it but I do prefer all the things that it achieves. For the most part anyway.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 AM

44,983 posts, read 26,132,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
Don't know about you but for me it's about 33 percent. And again, I don't prefer it but I do prefer all the things that it achieves. For the most part anyway.
I might also add,"because without government they would not exist" for emphasis

Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,118,875 times
Well the shadow economy is $2 trillion strong so there's lots of people who do not like to get taxed.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I pay taxes quarterly, and do so willingly. Here's why:

I like having sidewalks to walk on, instead of muddy paths.
I like using my public library.
I like having bike paths.
I like access to public transportation.
I like breathing clean air and drinking clean water.
I like buying produce that doesn't contain E. coli.
I like shopping locally, rather than online, knowing some money goes to my State, which needs it badly.
I like knowing that others are doing the same, thus contributing to the community in which we live.

Is that enough likes for you?
1. we didn't have sidewalks before governments and taxation ?
2. what's wrong with private libraries ?
3. read point 1
4. tax doesn't cover the services of 'public' transport.
5. private water companies can't clean their water ?
6. companies who sell their products with E.coli in it and STILL expect it to sell ? do you really think businesses are THAT dumb ?
7. and who is responsible for your state needing money badly ? the people that tax you in the first place maybe ?
8. if others ate **** for dinner, would you ?

Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Exactly. I don't like paying my heating bill, but I like having heat. Rational people understand that link.

Where do these people think public goods/services will come from if we stop paying for them? Santa?
you pay them yourself. if half your income wasn't being taxed, you'd be able to pay for 'public' services privately and to your own accord. do you like debt ?

Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,227,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
1. we didn't have sidewalks before governments and taxation ?
2. what's wrong with private libraries ?
3. read point 1
4. tax doesn't cover the services of 'public' transport.
5. private water companies can't clean their water ?
6. companies who sell their products with E.coli in it and STILL expect it to sell ? do you really think businesses are THAT dumb ?
7. and who is responsible for your state needing money badly ? the people that tax you in the first place maybe ?
8. if others ate **** for dinner, would you ?
No offense but if you don't grasp the need for taxes, at least somewhat, then you never will. I may not be Einstein but I can probably guess what life would be like it there were no taxes. It would probably be like Bangladesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies