Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times

Advertisements

...the whole health care system in the United States is a jumbled mess. It's too expensive, doesn't provide coverage for everybody, has way too many rules, exceptions, and whatnot. It shouldn't make people's head spin to get medical care.

I don't know if Obamacare will make it better or worse. But something reasonable needs to be done so that people have access to quality, affordable care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
It got "fixed" in 2009 with Obamacare.

Around this time next year you should be seeing all the "benefits" it brings to every American.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
...the whole health care system in the United States is a jumbled mess. It's too expensive, doesn't provide coverage for everybody, has way too many rules, exceptions, and whatnot. It shouldn't make people's head spin to get medical care.

I don't know if Obamacare will make it better or worse. But something reasonable needs to be done so that people have access to quality, affordable care.
You are right it is very complex with so many players. I can take any issue and have reasonable ideas except with health care, on that issue I give myself one of these I always tell my family I hope I just drop over dead and will not have to deal with health care.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
The only part of US health care that works halfway well is Medicare. The employer provided model is a disaster. Obamacare simply continues the profit-driven employer model whereas the real solution is single payer like Medicare. Eventually we will get this right, but the geezers and near-geezers will be long dead by then.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:55 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
The real problem with healthcare in the U.S. ... as with so many government OPM spending initiatives, is that the politicians can never seem to get beyond philosophical sound-bytes, .... to the real issue of who is ultimately going to pay for all that "free" stuff. ('Other People's Money).

Take, for example, the Obamacare boondoggle. We already have a 16+ TRILLION spending deficit brought to us courtesy of the Washington folks in their efforts to 'buy votes.' -- Suddenly, 2-weeks after the 2700-page Obamacare 'drops out of the sky', a 'minor' $118 Billion calculation error is affirmed. Yes, everyone should have decent, affordable (or even free) healthcare ... but, it's also got to be understandable and "affordable" to the folks who must ultimately pay for it!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Obamacare printed out
\
Dont you feel better now that their fixing and making everything easier?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The only part of US health care that works halfway well is Medicare. The employer provided model is a disaster. Obamacare simply continues the profit-driven employer model whereas the real solution is single payer like Medicare. Eventually we will get this right, but the geezers and near-geezers will be long dead by then.
Thanks for the laugh of the morning...

I'll make sure and let everyone know that when they're finally able to find a doctor that will even take Medicare these days that they should be able to expect the best care available in the U.S. and let them know Ponderosa said so.

I'll promptly return and let you know exactly what they wanted me to say to you and I'll even leave out the objects that they wanted me to shove up your arse...

Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Medicare is a complete and total disaster to those who have to provide services. It doesnt reinburse the actual cost, and often times results in other patients picking up the tab..

As for the employer provided model, its actually very similar from a payment standpoint, since medicare establishes the rates that these insurance companies reinburse by.

One might argue that it should be moved away from being an employer driven benefit, but thats what left kooks wanted and demanded.. (such as unions).. Now that its been proven to be a total failure, left wing kooks solution, lets try "x"..

Its like one big experiment, jumping around the real problem which is insurance costs too much because medicare doesnt pick up their fair share and everyone expect things like routine physicals to be covered.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Thanks for the laugh of the morning...

I'll make sure and let everyone know that when they're finally able to find a doctor that will even take Medicare these days that they should be able to expect the best care available in the U.S. and let them know Ponderosa said so.

I'll promptly return and let you know exactly what they wanted me to say to you and I'll even leave out the objects that they wanted me to shove up your arse...
Medicaid is no better. I know someone who spent 6 weeks trying to find a new doctor when their old one stopped taking it..

Old 04-27-2013, 10:24 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I'll make sure and let everyone know that when they're finally able to find a doctor that will even take Medicare these days
If we had Medicare-for-all, all doctors would either take Medicare or else try to compete for a tiny sliver of privately-insured patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies