U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Islamic immigration to the United States be stopped or banned?
Yes, ban all Islamic immigration 172 49.14%
Yeah, but only stop it temporarily 17 4.86%
No 161 46.00%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM

8,743 posts, read 5,762,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Are you kidding me? Last I checked America doesn't stone people to death or chop off limbs for punishment. We also don't ban the consumption of shellfish or pork (two of my favorite things on this earth). Sharia law is zero compatible with the American legal system.

And I believe that our constitution will protect us, but if Muslims ever gained enough demographic influence, they would surely do away with it. Look at what they are doing in their countries even now as we speak. Countries like Egypt were finally liberated from dictatorship and the people brought in an oppressive religious government to replace him.

Christians try to impose their laws too, but always fail, and then they go home. When Muslims fail through legal means they resort to violence until they get their way. Every single Muslim majority country has Islam melded into its laws. I can think of very few Christian countries that do the same.
Where does it say that Muslims can't eat shellfish??? I know that is something that is found in the Jewish religion, but I must have missed it in Islam, as did my husband. Holy crap!!!!, hubby and I just came from dinner and he ate shrimp, lobster and crabs. Off with his head!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Sharia law is quite compatible with the American legal system. Perhaps you should do some research on Sharia law instead of just jumping in with the "stone people to death" line.
He is clueless.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:27 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,131,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Where does it say that Muslims can't eat shellfish??? I know that is something that is found in the Jewish religion, but I must have missed it in Islam, as did my husband. Holy crap!!!!, hubby and I just came from dinner and he ate shrimp, lobster and crabs. Off with his head!!!!!!!
You can read this other thread regarding shellfish in Islam.

Unscaled Fish Is Haraam... - Islamic Laws & Jurisprudence - ShiaChat.com

The whole gist of it is that any fish from the sea that doesn't have scales cannot be eaten. Also, animals from the sea that don't have bones are not allowed to be eaten. Also, animals that eat other animals are not allowed to be eaten (lobster and crabs).

It also appears that there is a differing level of forbidding in regards to what foods Muslims are allowed to eat. Pork flesh is strictly forbidden (I wonder about other pork body parts though, such as the inside organs), but shellfish appear to not be forbidden, but frowned upon.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:39 PM

40,017 posts, read 24,268,964 times
Quote:
He is clueless.
He can fix that. He can do research. What is more alarming are the people who believe the same things he does, who won't learn any differently, because no one challenges them to do so. Those who think that Sharia law is some sort of hard and fast set of laws. If that were the case, then wouldn't every Muslim-majority country have the same identical legal code. And yet every country's laws are different. The penalties are different. Sharia law isn't set in stone. And Sharia law as explained in the Koran is a moral code. A moral code that is largely shared by Christians. The penalties for violating the code vary from country to country, because the scholars who interpret the Koran do not do so uniformly. It varies. And, of course, then there is the fact that not all Muslims believe the same things, just as not all Christians believe the same things. Sunni and Shi'ite being the glaring division, but that division is akin to Catholics and Protestants, and yet within the Catholic Church there are numerous sects, and Protestants break down into literally hundreds, possibly even thousands of sects. And within those, each church is a little different from the church with the same name in the next town. Muslims have the same identical issues. When someone of the Muslim faith moves to Boston or Philadelphia or San Francisco, they are just like someone of the Christian faith. They'll visit several different places of worship, to find the one that "fits". Because faith is something that is very, very personal, and the various religions aren't dictators, they are marketers, making small adjustments to meet the needs of their individual members.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
You can read this other thread regarding shellfish in Islam.

Unscaled Fish Is Haraam... - Islamic Laws & Jurisprudence - ShiaChat.com

The whole gist of it is that any fish from the sea that doesn't have scales cannot be eaten. Also, animals from the sea that don't have bones are not allowed to be eaten. Also, animals that eat other animals are not allowed to be eaten (lobster and crabs).

It also appears that there is a differing level of forbidding in regards to what foods Muslims are allowed to eat. Pork flesh is strictly forbidden (I wonder about other pork body parts though, such as the inside organs), but shellfish appear to not be forbidden, but frowned upon.
Good grief. You give a chat forum as a reference??

Maybe the hardline extremists adhere to the "fish rule". The other 99% of Muslims eat any kind and every kind of fish.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He can fix that. He can do research. What is more alarming are the people who believe the same things he does, who won't learn any differently, because no one challenges them to do so. Those who think that Sharia law is some sort of hard and fast set of laws. If that were the case, then wouldn't every Muslim-majority country have the same identical legal code. And yet every country's laws are different. The penalties are different. Sharia law isn't set in stone. And Sharia law as explained in the Koran is a moral code. A moral code that is largely shared by Christians. The penalties for violating the code vary from country to country, because the scholars who interpret the Koran do not do so uniformly. It varies. And, of course, then there is the fact that not all Muslims believe the same things, just as not all Christians believe the same things. Sunni and Shi'ite being the glaring division, but that division is akin to Catholics and Protestants, and yet within the Catholic Church there are numerous sects, and Protestants break down into literally hundreds, possibly even thousands of sects. And within those, each church is a little different from the church with the same name in the next town. Muslims have the same identical issues. When someone of the Muslim faith moves to Boston or Philadelphia or San Francisco, they are just like someone of the Christian faith. They'll visit several different places of worship, to find the one that "fits". Because faith is something that is very, very personal, and the various religions aren't dictators, they are marketers, making small adjustments to meet the needs of their individual members.
Very well said. Now only if the traveler and others would actually think about what you are saying, they could be enlightened. As far as doing reserach, I wouldn't trust the traveler to educate himself. He gave me a chat forum as a reference when there were much more credible sources he could have used.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM

686 posts, read 955,821 times
Can I just confirm that all fish and seafood is halal. This stems from Abraham hitting a fish with the knife he threw after he thought he had sacrificed Ishmael. Obviously God replaced Ishmael with a Ram or something.

The knife went into the water and hit a fish. All seafood is halal.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Good grief. You give a chat forum as a reference??

Maybe the hardline extremists adhere to the "fish rule". The other 99% of Muslims eat any kind and every kind of fish.
What type of reference are looking for then? I figured this one worked well because it already had many Muslims talking about about the topic and quoting the Quran.

Seriously, what type of reference would you like? I will know for the future.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Very well said. Now only if the traveler and others would actually think about what you are saying, they could be enlightened. As far as doing reserach, I wouldn't trust the traveler to educate himself. He gave me a chat forum as a reference when there were much more credible sources he could have used.
Fine!

Is this a good enough reference for you?

Halal - Haram Food & Drink FISH - ISLAMIC - LAWS

This website pretty clearly defines the restrictions on seafood within the Islamic faith.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 PM

18,614 posts, read 16,385,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
There is an online petition to stop and ban immigration from Islamic nations to the United States after the Boston bombings and other radical Muslim terror against the U.S. and the west.

What do you think?
Where's the link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies