U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Islamic immigration to the United States be stopped or banned?
Yes, ban all Islamic immigration 172 49.14%
Yeah, but only stop it temporarily 17 4.86%
No 161 46.00%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM

6,336 posts, read 3,411,161 times

Advertisements

I would like to see a halt to all immigration for a couple of years. After learning more about the escapades occurring in Massachusetts (ie people here on student visas not being in school, immigrants illegally collecting welfare, people permitted to immigrate here from their oppressive countries routinely returning to those oppressive places for visitd) I think we could spend a few years just getting a handle on what's happening with what we already have. And let's not even think about amnesty, we can't yet manage what's here legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,117,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberline18 View Post
The US imports most of its oil from Mexico and Canada along with domestic sources. And, Israel has greater natural gas and shale oil than Saudi Arabia, which will render the Arabs obsolete in the near future.

You're allowed to be uninformed.
Do you have natural gas or shale oil?
Are you extinct?

Still waiting

Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 PM

40,149 posts, read 24,376,127 times
Quote:
The US imports most of its oil from Mexico and Canada along with domestic sources. And, Israel has greater natural gas and shale oil than Saudi Arabia, which will render the Arabs obsolete in the near future.

You're allowed to be uninformed.
Credit to you for trying to be offensive. Unfortunately for you, I'm well aware of where we get our oil, and where the oil reserves are globally.

You still fail to actually respond.

You said that without oil, the Arab world would not exist.

Since that is obviously false, perhaps you should consider acknowledging that it was false.

I also pointed out, that without oil, the United States, the West, and the world, would be very different places. You were the one who posited a world without oil. Now you are struggling to change your remark so that where the oil deposits are located is part of your argument?

Old 05-03-2013, 12:25 PM

8,743 posts, read 5,781,520 times
Quote:
The US has a diversified economy. If not for oil, the Arab world would be extinct. The Arab world is last in every metric, from education to literacy to healthcare to productivity to scientific research to industrial development. Exports of 25 Arab countries [minus oil] is less than exports of Finland.
Look, you have an unlimited amount of information on the internet. Seeing that you have very very little knowledge, or close to none, why don't you do some research before you write something you seem to think you know. If you did your research you would understand that math and science and many other findings came from the Arab world.

The Arab "world" existed long before oil.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM

96 posts, read 58,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Look, you have an unlimited amount of information on the internet. Seeing that you have very very little knowledge, or close to none, why don't you do some research before you write something you seem to think you know. If you did your research you would understand that math and science and many other findings came from the Arab world.

The Arab "world" existed long before oil.
You're totally obtuse. We get it.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
Quote:
Can you name one significant contribution from the Arab world in the last, say, 1000 years? No, I didn't think so. How about one Arab-manufactured product with global demand? Nope, you can't

The bedouin mentality is not suited for modernity

Arab Author Anwar Malek...

[/color]
You left off this part of his quote:

Quote:
What resistance are you talking about? If you are talking about the resistance of Hizbullah – Hizbullah has destroyed Lebanon, in the framework of a Persian conspiracy. I say this point blank. As for the resistance in Palestine – they are defending themselves. They are a group of people defending themselves from attacks from all directions. What did they achieve? Did they defeat or destroy Israel? I consider it a miracle when someone manages to even defend himself.
Do understand the context and who Anwar Malek is? He's an Algerian Arab and while he's very critical of what's going on in the Arab world--he obviously at the same time cares about the Arab world. He's a member of the Arab Commission For Human Rights who recently left his position as an observer as part of the Arab League's peacekeeping mission in Syria because he thought that it was a farce due to not doing enough to prevent the Assad regime's violence against civillians. So his criticism comes from a different place--he actually want the Arab world to start taking resonsibility and get it's shiite together...

It's different than what you're doing which is simply looking for anyway possible you can deride Arabs and call them all Bedouin. Many of the top oil producing nations are heavily reliant on oil versus manufacturing or other exports... It's a problem that isn't limited to the Middle East. A lot of the things you've mentioned are comparable in much of the developing world including Latin America or the rest of Africa or places in South Asia or Southeast Asia. A lot of Arab countries are spinning their wheels economically, at the same time, there's going to have to be tidal shift in those societies to start competing with the other up-and-coming nations like India or Brazil--but that's true for much of the world.

However--you've just led this thread more and more off topic. The success or failure of the Arab world isn't the topic--the topic is immigration from the Muslim world as a whole to the US. As I've pointed out previously a lot of Arabs in the US aren't even Muslims.

Last edited by Deezus; 05-03-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM

96 posts, read 58,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You left off this part of his quote:

Do understand the context and who Anwar Malek is? He's an Algerian Arab and while he's very critical of what's going on in the Arab world--he obviously at the same time cares about the Arab world. He's a member of the Arab Commission For Human Rights who recently left his position as an observer as part of the Arab League's peacekeeping mission in Syria because he thought that it was a farce due to not doing enough to prevent the Assad regime's violence against civillians. So his criticism comes from a different place--he actually want the Arab world to start taking resonsibility and get it's shiite together...

It's different than what you're doing which is simply looking for anyway possible you can deride Arabs and call them all Bedouin. Many of the top oil producing nations are heavily reliant on oil versus manufacturing or other exports... It's a problem that isn't limited to the Middle East. A lot of the things you've mentioned are comparable in much of the developing world including Latin America or the rest of Africa or places in South Asia or Southeast Asia. A lot of Arab countries are spinning their wheels economically, at the same time, there's going to have to be tidal shift in those societies to start competing with the other up-and-coming nations like India or Brazil--but that's true for much of the world.

However--you've just led this thread more and more off topic. The success or failure of the Arab world isn't the topic--the topic is immigration from the Muslim world as a whole to the US. As I've pointed out previously a lot of Arabs in the US aren't even Muslims.
100% gibberish.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
Quote:
100% gibberish.
Sorry, I thought we were trying to have an intelligent discussion...

Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 PM

6,491 posts, read 5,242,465 times
Default Their "holy book" tells them to kill infidels!... Our "holy book" tells us not to stop there.

I voted No for two reasons:

First, we must concede that stopping Islamic immigration temporarily could easily mean stopping it indefinitely by accident. What was that genius Beckel's idea? Until we "finish up the investigations" regarding ALL the Muslim students who immigrated here but are unaccounted for - "Once we're satisfied that we've looked at everybody and that the Muslims that are left here as students are not radical people..."? This is practically impossible, and it'd be so easy to continue denying Muslims citizenship once we've taken the two-year "hiatus"; no thank you.

Second, what is this REALLY based on? I know that Eric Bolling (Fearmonger Extraordinaire) threw his (arguably misleading) report on some statistics out there to show that 13% of Muslim Americans surveyed are "cool with suicide bombing innocent civilians" (his words, not the Pew study's). Sounds pretty serious! ...to anyone who just gobbles it up. But wait a second. In 2011, there were a few polls conducted (one also a Pew study) in which the question was posed (albeit in different words) to the general public. The results were even more shocking than the bit Islamophobes are doing today:

Quote:
The poll found that Muslim-Americans (21%) were far less likely than their fellow Jewish (52%) and Christian (58%) countrymen to think it is sometimes justifiable to target and kill civilians.
Surveys Show Muslims in Every Country Less Likely to Justify Killing Civilians than Americans and Israelis | loonwatch.com

Abdul Malik Mujahid: Muslims Are More Peaceful Than Their Neighbors

And of course, non-Muslim Americans DO kill more innocent civilians in our country than do Muslim Americans. Try as we might to blame it on their religion, we can see in both survey and effect that Muslims are statistically not half the threat to the U.S. as are non-Muslims.

I think the whole proposal is nothing more than the single best-disguised expression of bigotry this world has ever seen.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM

332 posts, read 733,982 times
Why are the mods here so stupid? I cited where I got my info from and it still got deleted along with the rest of my responses on this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies