Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Islamic immigration to the United States be stopped or banned?
Yes, ban all Islamic immigration 172 49.14%
Yeah, but only stop it temporarily 17 4.86%
No 161 46.00%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
My opinions of them would not be shaped by their cloths. It would be shaped by how they view the separation of religious organizations and the state. If they support a secular government that does not enforce a religious moral code on its people then I bet we can get along. Most Muslims support the enforcement of Sharia law on the people though, even non-believers. This makes them extremely dangerous.

And yes, I travel often. Never to a Muslim place though.
First of all, Sharia laws are generally quite compatible with the American legal code. So, "extremely dangerous"?????? No. Secondly, Muslims make up such a small percentage of the population, that they could never enforce Sharia law on the rest of us. Thirdly, if you believe and support the Constitution, then you have to believe that the Constitution itself protects us non-believers from religious extremists of all persuasions. And the threat of religious beliefs being imposed as law would come from the dominant religion, not a minority religion. It is Christians that try to impose their religious beliefs on the nation as a whole that tend to be the most successful, because they have the most support, and the least resistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If dress has nothing to do with it, then why did you say this?

" All the Jewish people I have met in my life act and dress no differently than myself. Every Muslim I have met dresses according to their religious attire."

The fact is that there are Jewish people, and Christian people, who dress very restrictively. And there are Muslims that dress just like you and I. And yet it is the people you PERCEIVE as different that you want barred from entering the United States. It is the people YOU say dress differently that you want barred.

Dress may not be a key factor, but it does have something to do with it, because I think that the refusal to dress like everyone else can be perceived as a refusal to adapt other American customs. And that refusal to adapt is something that people feel threatened by. Which is why it's important to understand that Muslims aren't the only group that don't outwardly adapt to US Customs. There are many such groups who try to preserve their sense of identity in the United States, not just through dress, but through whatever means they have available. And, ironically, the need to preserve that sense of identity is an act of individualism, the ultimate American tradition.
This, definitely.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
First of all, Sharia laws are generally quite compatible with the American legal code. So, "extremely dangerous"?????? No. Secondly, Muslims make up such a small percentage of the population, that they could never enforce Sharia law on the rest of us. Thirdly, if you believe and support the Constitution, then you have to believe that the Constitution itself protects us non-believers from religious extremists of all persuasions. And the threat of religious beliefs being imposed as law would come from the dominant religion, not a minority religion. It is Christians that try to impose their religious beliefs on the nation as a whole that tend to be the most successful, because they have the most support, and the least resistance.
Are you kidding me? Last I checked America doesn't stone people to death or chop off limbs for punishment. We also don't ban the consumption of shellfish or pork (two of my favorite things on this earth). Sharia law is zero compatible with the American legal system.

And I believe that our constitution will protect us, but if Muslims ever gained enough demographic influence, they would surely do away with it. Look at what they are doing in their countries even now as we speak. Countries like Egypt were finally liberated from dictatorship and the people brought in an oppressive religious government to replace him.

Christians try to impose their laws too, but always fail, and then they go home. When Muslims fail through legal means they resort to violence until they get their way. Every single Muslim majority country has Islam melded into its laws. I can think of very few Christian countries that do the same.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,073 times
how can u even say the word immigration when you cannot organize and sort out the zillions of illegal immigrants already here...theres enough for the next 100 years.

Last edited by stargazzer; 05-01-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me? Last I checked America doesn't stone people to death or chop off limbs for punishment. We also don't ban the consumption of shellfish or pork (two of my favorite things on this earth). Sharia law is zero compatible with the American legal system.

And I believe that our constitution will protect us, but if Muslims ever gained enough demographic influence, they would surely do away with it. Look at what they are doing in their countries even now as we speak. Countries like Egypt were finally liberated from dictatorship and the people brought in an oppressive religious government to replace him.

Christians try to impose their laws too, but always fail, and then they go home. When Muslims fail through legal means they resort to violence until they get their way. Every single Muslim majority country has Islam melded into its laws. I can think of very few Christian countries that do the same.
Sharia law is quite compatible with the American legal system. Perhaps you should do some research on Sharia law instead of just jumping in with the "stone people to death" line.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Quote:
Dress has absolutely nothing to do with it. If you remember correctly in this thread it was SoftBlueEyes that brought up the issue of Islamic dress by posting pictures of three Muslim women who were wearing Western clothing. I didn't start this conversation on Islamic dress.

And I travel often actually. I just returned from Philadelphia last weekend in fact. My screen name is more related to that I tend to up and move to places without planning it out fully.
I guess I need to point this out:

Quote:
I think if most Muslims interpreted their faith from a less radical angle like those women do then Islam wouldn't have the negative reputation that it does. If most Muslims were like those women, then perhaps this poll wouldn't show a 50% support for banning Muslims. I have never met a Muslim like those in the pictures you show though. Every Muslim woman I have met wears that headscarf. The headscarf is such a symbol of separation in society I think.
What I "brought up" was a response to your claim that every Muslim woman you met wears a headscarf. I was pointing out that that is not the case, because there are Muslim women in western countries that do not "identify" wtih a headscarf. It is impossible for you to know anyones religion when wearing western clothing. For all you know you may have "met" several Muslim women, you just didn't know they were Muslim.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
My opinions of them would not be shaped by their cloths.

Never to a Muslim place though.
Bold: See above post.

If you have never been to a Muslim "place", then you aren't in a position to speak of what you think you actually know. Not all Muslim countries are the same, but you refuse to accept that fact. What you read and see is not the full picture.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
If dress has nothing to do with it, then why did you say this?

" All the Jewish people I have met in my life act and dress no differently than myself. Every Muslim I have met dresses according to their religious attire."

The fact is that there are Jewish people, and Christian people, who dress very restrictively. And there are Muslims that dress just like you and I. And yet it is the people you PERCEIVE as different that you want barred from entering the United States. It is the people YOU say dress differently that you want barred.

Dress may not be a key factor, but it does have something to do with it, because I think that the refusal to dress like everyone else can be perceived as a refusal to adapt other American customs. And that refusal to adapt is something that people feel threatened by. Which is why it's important to understand that Muslims aren't the only group that don't outwardly adapt to US Customs. There are many such groups who try to preserve their sense of identity in the United States, not just through dress, but through whatever means they have available. And, ironically, the need to preserve that sense of identity is an act of individualism, the ultimate American tradition.
Tried to rep you, but I have to spread the love around.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
Yusuf is the Arabic version of Joseph.
And it's origin is Hebrew - Yousef.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
It is Christians that try to impose their religious beliefs on the nation as a whole that tend to be the most successful, because they have the most support, and the least resistance.
I'm sure that there are several here that don't remember how the Catholic Church started changing in the 60s. It was losing followers, mostly the youth. So the rules were changed to attract the young. Mass went from Latin to English. Covering your head with a scarf or hat was not necessary. Attending service dressing in a presentable manner wasn't necessary. Then they brought in the "teen" service, where they had a band and shaking your neighbors hand became part of the service. Church services go on from Saturday morning to Sunday night. Before that became the schedule, there was a Saturday evening mass and then maybe 4 or 5 services on Sunday. There was a time that during Lent you didn't eat meat on Friday - it was fish day - usually fishcakes from the fish store or the German deli, and that has been done away with.

I asked a priest how all these changes came to be because as a child I was made to believe that everything done was by the word of God. I wanted to know if God spoke to the Pope about all the changes. Apparently the changes were man made.

Those of the Jewish belief also became divided - sub-groups. There is "Jews for Jesus". Jesus was rejected by the Jews. Many sub-groups do follow the Torah by the letter as do the Orthodox Jews. What they all have in common is to follow the basic beliefs, which are the same as Christianity and Islam.

As the Jews have sub-groups, so do Muslims, except they are not "formal" as they are in Judism, but in practice - from the extreme who follow the Koran to the letter, to the conservative/moderate who don't follow the Koran to the letter, to the Muslim who is Muslim by birth and does not have a "bond" with the religion either due to the lack of a strong influence surrounding them or from just "dropping out" of practice, but all will adhere to the basic beliefs, which are the same as Christianity and Judism.

There are plenty of Jews and Christians who don't "practice" their faith where rituals and beliefs are concerned, as there are plenty of Muslims. I know Christians who don't see the inside of a Church except for Easter and Christmas.

I don't understand why people think that every Muslims life is dictated by Islam. That is not the case. But if you are going to hate a few, might as well hate them all, so it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies