Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Islamic immigration to the United States be stopped or banned?
Yes, ban all Islamic immigration 172 49.14%
Yeah, but only stop it temporarily 17 4.86%
No 161 46.00%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:06 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,475 times

Advertisements

Yes...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 PM

29 posts, read 20,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
It can make one believe that I wanted you to identify which "Constitutional rights" an LPR does not have...

Quote:
You've identified (except in rare cases) voting. What else? Thanks.
Do your own homework. The whole point is that LPRs do not have the same Constitutional rights as citizens, an LPRs Constitutional rights are limited.

Please, dont think you are my teacher.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbordude View Post
Do your own homework. The whole point is that LPRs do not have the same Constitutional rights as citizens, an LPRs Constitutional rights are limited.

Please, dont think you are my teacher.
The only other "right" listed as applying exclusively to U.S. citizens in the Constitution is the ability to run for federal elective office. Here's a great reference from the Georgetown University Law Center: http://scholarship.law.georgetown.ed...context=facpub

Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
You're dense. I did not gloss over it. Read. I'm done with you.
Be done with me all you want. You still didn't read my entire point. Nice to know you tuck tail and run at the first sign of trouble.

Thanks for playing.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 PM

Okay cool thanks for all the info concerning the Green/LPR cards. I really had no idea, though I'm curious again:

What freedoms and limitations are put on holders of a Green/LPR card?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Okay cool thanks for all the info concerning the Green/LPR cards. I really had no idea, though I'm curious again:

What freedoms and limitations are put on holders of a Green/LPR card?
USCIS generally has super-long links now, it is better just to search for the page "USCIS - Rights and Responsibilities of a Permanent Resident" (and allows us to keep more on-topic here; there is also a Legal Immigration section here at City-Data). Don't feel bad, most Americans are not aware of the nuances to immigration unless they have gone through the process for themselves or a loved one. As I am apt to say, the majority of legal immigration originates from a marriage to a U.S. citizen.

This topic shows in particular that many people object to the "M&M's" immigrating - Muslims and Mexicans - and want to change things, even though these groupings immigrate exactly alike others immigrating...

Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 AM

Yeah so what exactly will keeping Muslim's immigrating into the states do again?

How will that help our economy? Who's going to be footing the bill for those expenses to make sure they stay out?

Anyone care to come up with some hard answers before attempting to act like some armchair politician?

Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Alright, but is that what the Green Card is? The Residency Card thing? I bring this up because my entire point revolves around someone in the United States getting a Green Card thus having all the freedoms and what have you in the US Constitution since they are an American citizen.
The Constitution of the United States is for the protection of American citizens (well, at least it used to be). Green card holders are subject to the LAWS of the United States. They are not entitled to a US passport nor are they a citizen of the US. Their passport is from the country where they are a citizen. They are for all intents and purposes a guest of the US. They are not allowed to vote (major elections) except in states that allow them to vote in local elections.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,816 times
Quote:
Be done with me all you want. You still didn't read my entire point. Nice to know you tuck tail and run at the first sign of trouble.

Thanks for playing.
I tuck tail from inane and dense individuals.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 AM

29 posts, read 20,637 times
Quote:
The only other "right" listed as applying exclusively to U.S. citizens in the Constitution is the ability to run for federal elective office. Here's a great reference from the Georgetown University Law Center: http://scholarship.law.georgetown.ed...context=facpub
You do realize that your link asserts that LPRs rights are limited and that they are a different "class" as recognized, right? I mean, your link goes on to say that even states can deny them certain public employment.

This is a case of the glass being half empty or half full. Your not telling me anything I dont already know, but you are giving credence to my statements with your link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies