Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I wan to know how the parents who held the white only prom justified having it this year. My understanding is that the blacks only prom did not happen this year.

Bridging the Divide: Wilcox County High School Students Hold First Integrated Prom | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
They dont have to. It was a private party.
Its sad, but racism is still alive and well for some. The good news is that its dying. The majority of students took it upon themselves to right this wrong buy raising the money for the actual prom. In doing so they are trying to also make a point and show the community that they do not ackowledge the hateful racism of their parents and their parents before them. Lets look at this as a positive thing and draw attention to that because that is what is going to rise above and destroy racist attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
SourD, Rakin, Rick Roma, pghquest

lol
No, more like btsilver, LMAO.. Keep defending racism while you try to call others racist.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I wan to know how the parents who held the white only prom justified having it this year. My understanding is that the blacks only prom did not happen this year.

Bridging the Divide: Wilcox County High School Students Hold First Integrated Prom | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
Well, they feel their kids may like the beat of the "Black" music they might hear, but don't know how to dance to it.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Got a big question mark over my head at the reaction here....

So this year, the kids decide they are going to change the history of their community and stop a practice of racial division and have, for the first time a prom for black and white students together, and the reaction here is "lets still go bash folk"....

Anyone besides me happy to see this progress? isnt this what we want?

The ones who held the white only prom did it because, for the last fifty years, that is what they have done. inertia and history are hard to overcome. Sure prejudice was involved. It was likely central and a huge part of the reason behind it. But generational racism is inertia and history at work.

How about we celebrate the Black and White students that came together and overcame 50 years of history and 400 years of racism?

I bet if we spend more time backing the good kids, the rest will fall in line... because once you get something moving...inertia is hard to overcome...

Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Got a big question mark over my head at the reaction here....

So this year, the kids decide they are going to change the history of their community and stop a practice of racial division and have, for the first time a prom for black and white students together, and the reaction here is "lets still go bash folk"....

Anyone besides me happy to see this progress? isnt this what we want?

The ones who held the white only prom did it because, for the last fifty years, that is what they have done. inertia and history are hard to overcome. Sure prejudice was involved. It was likely central and a huge part of the reason behind it. But generational racism is inertia and history at work.

How about we celebrate the Black and White students that came together and overcame 50 years of history and 400 years of racism?

I bet if we spend more time backing the good kids, the rest will fall in line... because once you get something moving...inertia is hard to overcome...
I would think those kids are well ahead of many of their parents.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
When I saw the title of this thread, I knew it just had to be about a red state in the deep south.
For most of the US, it is hard to fathom that this kind of segregation and racism is still part of the culture of some backwaters in the south. It seems like a strange, alien world.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Better late than never.
It's about time.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No, more like btsilver, LMAO.. Keep defending racism while you try to call others racist.
Ahh the comeback. How clever. You guys couldn't even answer a simple question. That's why it was funny.

Question: "Is there any other reason to have a white only prom other than racism?"

Your Answer: "The NAACP is racist because it is exclusive to blacks!"

First, you are incorrect. None of those organizations are racist. If you want to join, you can. They don't exclude white people from joining their organizations. Sheesh.

On the other hand, A "White Only" prom that is advertised as such is the very definition of racial exclusion. I'm actually mad that one of you guys had the gumption to mention HBCU's as being for black people only. Do some research before you say something stupid on the internet.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I went to high school in a small, rural Georgia town (Hamilton, Georgia - went to Harris County High School). Honestly, I can't imagine the scenario of a whites only or blacks only prom at that high school. (I graduated in the early '80s by the way.)

I don't know what sort of weirdness is going on in the town of Wilcox, Georgia, but I can assure you it's WEIRD - not the norm for the state at all.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
There is a big difference from racial exclusion to being an organization that fights for equality. None of those organizations exclude others from participating. Which is the opposite of exclusion like the White only prom that this thread is about. I see that some of you are having a hard time focusing on the actual subject.
You're very right. I used to be a member of the local Hispanic Lion's Club, and I'm not Hispanic in the least bit! They welcomed me, as well as anyone else who wanted to join.

They had the best Lion's Club parties by FAR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies