Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It's not that simple.

I have been a member of the church for nearly 4 decades and my family has 5 generations in the church, which is over 100 years old, and the first generation were charter members.

The church is declining in activity, which I attribute to it's political leanings, and non-adherence to biblical truths.

I fear that it is becoming like the Laodicean church mentioned in Revelation.

The denomination is rather liberal, but the individual churches have autonomy, and I see myself as a potential leader who can cause a praadigm shift.

I am conflicted, but feel that I need to stay to make things right.
You should run for the pastor position. I bet you will get elected.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
I am his boss.
I thought god was the boss.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
The sermon started out great today. The pastor was talking about how all living things, and even non-living things such as mountains, sing praises to the Lord just by being what they are meant to be.

Then he turned an excellent sermon into a political rant.

He started to say that humans are responsible for global warming, when this is still a controversial topic.

He mentioned Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth and even conceded that global warming has occurred in periods before fossil fuels, as Gore states in his book.

He said that Gore was mainly concerned with our own civilization - not the Earth - which will regenerate on its own - which makes it rather clear that Gore just wants to sell books and expand control and regulation, which is the wet dream of all liberals.

The pastor even mentioned Earth Day.

I thought that was the final straw, until he gave the benediction and said these words:

"Think globally, and live liberally".

I'd suggest it might be time to find a new pastor.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know what churches you have been involved in, if any, but the churches we have attended do not fit your profile of Christians. Some drive SUVs, just like some atheists, agnostics or people of other religions. Others drive small cars. Many go to church each week or more than once a week, but more than that, do you have any idea how many hours some people give to helping the poor? Our church alone (it would be considered midsized) runs a weekly food pantry, helps support the local elementary school programs for kids in he lower income levels, we have a mission group that does nothing but sit and listen to those who need someone to talk to. We support senior resident homes, volunteer for meals on wheels, have fund raisers for mission programs throughout the world. Do we support youth programs? Of course we do and you think that isn't giving. often to the needy? We have a group that knits hats for newborns and baby quilts. All these go to the hospitals where the majority of children born are needy. I could go and on. Our small church (less than 100 members) in NM had fund raisers to help the needy in the area pay their utility bills or buy gas to get them to their doctors appointments. We had several who worked with Meals on Wheels. our church here does the same. I could list what many churches do for the community from now til dooms day, but there will always be those who prefer not to hear or believe how churches help.
Yep - if it doesn't fit the agenda of those who hate people of faith, they just ignore or dismiss it.

Good post.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You should run for the pastor position. I bet you will get elected.
I haven't been to seminary.

I have taught Sunday School and served in several other leadership positions.

My denomination requires that a pastor be ordained.

The only seminary that I would consider attending if I had the desire to be a pastor is one that I think my denomination would consider unacceptable, because it isn't liberal.

Besides, I don't think that God has called me to be a pastor - I have other roles to fulfill, and I will pray for the guidance to do those tasks for the glory of God.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I thought god was the boss.
God is the ultimate boss - but the congregation makes the hiring decisions - with prayerful guidance from the Lord.

That is another quandary I have - I do know that the committee who selected this man are spiritual people who prayed about their decision.

Yet - they are people - and still could have made a mistake.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And yet, it is the Old Testament that is used for most sermons you hear in the churches.
The sermon that my pastor gave was based on a Psalm.

I would bet that you agreed with the left wing message that he spun out of that OT passage.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
About wealth redistribution: there is a big difference between voluntary charity and forced redistribution through taxation. But there isn't necessarily a great moral evil when government seizes a huge portion of my income: "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's".

However, marriage is a very clear moral law outlined in the Bible and sexual sin corrupts the innermost being more than other sins.
But what is Caesars?? What Caesar demands, or what he is entitled?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Yet when was the last time in a conversation about immigration, for example, have you heard someone from the right say "WWJD"?
Jesus said "submit to the government" - and our laws forbid illegal immigration.

Did you really think that no one would notice that you neglected to use the word "illegal" in front of "immigration"?

The United States welcomes legal immigrants.

Only illegal immigrants have problems.

Oh, I forgot, you like to call thise illegal immigrants "undocumented workers".

Would you like to explain why they are "undocumented"?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley01 View Post
Yeah but they ignore that part which goes like this:

Matthew 6:25-26

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

401K anybody??
You don't have a checking or savings account?

Do you not contribute to Social Security?

What about Medicare or Medicaid?

Will you join me in not enrolling in ObamaCare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies