Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times

Advertisements

Same people control it, it isn't to their financial benefit. That is why these inventions are continuously shelved. Happens over and over. Same players. However, I expect this to change in the next few years. There are people working for major corps, like Honda, that want to know what happened to tech they worked on with their own eyes for years and never heard about again.
What Ever Happened to These Honda Energy Breakthroughs?

Last edited by CDusr; 04-30-2013 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,804 times
"Equipped with a single-barrel Holley carburetor, gas mileage was touted to be in the range of a little under 30 miles per gallon for city driving and a little over 30 for highway cruising."
HowStuffWorks "1960 Ford Falcon"

Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Efficiency comparisons using passenger-miles per gallon
strickland.ca - transportation energy efficiency (fuel consumption)
[] Max efficiency:
Mode .... Passenger-miles per gallon
Rail ....2000
Trolleybus ....750
Tesla Roadster ....328
Diesel bus .... 280
Toyota Prius .... 240
Scooter cycle .... 150
Ford Explorer .... 100
[] Typical efficiency:
Mode .... Passenger-miles per gallon
Rail ....600
Trolleybus .... 290
Tesla Roadster .... 246
Diesel bus ....78
Scooter cycle .... 75
Toyota Prius .... 72
Ford Explorer .... 21

Fuel-Efficiency - CSX
CSX trains (diesel-electric) averaged 468 miles per gallon per ton. (ton = 2000 lbs.)
2012 Ford Focus 2.0L 4-cyl. FFV 5-speed Manual True Cost to Own
$31,115 over five years is the "true cost to own" that Ford Focus.
$6,223 per year.
Scale accordingly for a larger vehicle.
In 2012, 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard on NYC mass transit - Cost: $104, reduced fare $52
(per annum = $ 1248 / $ 624)
Bottom line - for a finite fuel budget, you can move more cargo and passengers via rail.
It will cost far less over the long run to use rail than other forms.
The cost to maintain rail infrastructure is far cheaper.
It is more durable, and long lasting.

Rail very well might be the most efficient when measured in a vacuum--I wouldn't doubt it at all. In the real world, passenger rail is usually owned and operated by a government agency, which tends to cause costs to skyrocket. In the case of wheeled vehicles, big segments of the operation can be privatized--everything from management of a fleet to maintenance to marketing. With wheeled vehicles, the only aspect that is not amenable to privatization are the roads and bridges.

Hence the study that I cited earlier, where the cost per passenger mile for rail was $5.39, while for van pools it was 20 cents.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:39 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Thought this was pretty interesting... had never really thought about it in this way before

The dream car that (sigh) never was - NYPOST.com

In the past 50 years, huge advances have been made in electronics/ data (internet, Iphone, etc...), health/ medicine... but travel by car/ train or plane is almost the SAME as 50 years ago.

Lets just say for example you commute to New York City via car (Insane... but some do)... the only difference from 50 years ago is that the traffic is 1,000 times worse and the toll for the bridge/ tunnel, etc is horrendously worse. Same can be said for a train (way more crowded and expensive but relatively the same technology as 50 yrs ago).

[Not sure if this is controversial enough for this Forum, but thought it was interesting. I am sure it will turn into a right/ left battle soon enough... assuming people post of course. ].
It is not the same. Not even close. Planes back then were turbo props. Slow, less safe, used lots of gas. Same with cars. Ever drive across the desert in July in a 1964 Chevy Impala wagon on a 2 lane Route 66? Not exactly a day at the beach. Cars and they way they are made as well as planes have changed much in 50 years. Far more reliable, far safer and far more comfortable.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
The only thing I see that has not changed much in 50 years is home building. Some of the materials have improved but the methods of building houses on site from ground up which are labor intensive and expensive are still used in most of the world although China is experiementing with factory made modular buildings.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The only thing I see that has not changed much in 50 years is home building. Some of the materials have improved but the methods of building houses on site from ground up which are labor intensive and expensive are still used in most of the world although China is experiementing with factory made modular buildings.
Your previous post made some excellent points.

With regards to housing, there have been major improvements in wiring etc. leading to far fewer house fires.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
BS, I can load up my 6000lb SUV with 1000 lbs of people/gear and get 20mpg on the freeway going 70mph.

Sorry OP but you haven't got a clue neither does the housing tech neophyte.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
The next material 'game changer' in transportation would seemingly be the non-driver operated car. Essentially program where you want to go, sit back, and relax. If that concept could be perfected, imagine all of the driving fatalities it would prevent each year. All the other expenses. I don't know why more hasn't been done to fund research of this, instead of leaving it to a single company like google, etc.

Also, I've always wondered why subway system could not be replaced with some highly functioning 'conveyor belt' that constantly runs and has a smart way to depart / board. Then again, they can't even keep the subway stations free of rats and trash so maybe I'm asking a lot.

Next time on a plane though, just think that this is 2013 and a better way to board an airplane has not been developed. That is just lunacy.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Bottom line - for a finite fuel budget, you can move more cargo and passengers via rail.
Which is great..... as long as there is a rail route between your point of departure and destination.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
The next material 'game changer' in transportation would seemingly be the non-driver operated car. Essentially program where you want to go, sit back, and relax. If that concept could be perfected, imagine all of the driving fatalities it would prevent each year. All the other expenses. I don't know why more hasn't been done to fund research of this, instead of leaving it to a single company like google, etc.

Also, I've always wondered why subway system could not be replaced with some highly functioning 'conveyor belt' that constantly runs and has a smart way to depart / board. Then again, they can't even keep the subway stations free of rats and trash so maybe I'm asking a lot.

Next time on a plane though, just think that this is 2013 and a better way to board an airplane has not been developed. That is just lunacy.

Although I have zero phobia of flying, I never really liked it even before 9/11. People seem to think it is somehow glamorous, but spending several hours crammed into an aluminum tube with a bunch of strangers never appealed to me.

Now after 9/11 with all the new shoe-checks and such, I avoid flying as much as humanly possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies