Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:40 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Right, the only way gay people get equal rights is to make it a political issue. Should equal rights be granted the issue goes away. Not sure what that has to do with the president...

And no. There's always been a line between what weapons a private citizen can own and what weapons they can't. I believe the AR-15 should be in the can't category. If owning hand grenades makes the neighbors feel safe should the be able to own those? No, as well.

Walking around with a gun and knife to pick up trash, similar to stockpiling weapons to one day fight government, are signs of mental instability-- and perhaps-- further evaluation of their fitness to own deadly weapons.
what part of shall not be infringed do you not understand? why do people like you always stand on the rights of other people? all in the name of the "greater good"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
What makes them ignorant?

No one I have ever seen requires weapons to pick up trash.

And since you can't tell him from the next Adam Lanza, how do the neighbors know whether he's making the neighborhood safer or simply a disturbed 19 year old waiting to pop?
well he is picking up trash, not shooting people, that should be a dead give away.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
1) I voted for Obama on several issues. His gay rights stance is on of them. Some of us can think about more than one thing at a time. I'd bet a weeks pay that more single issue voters vote on an anti-abortion stance than any other single issue.

2) My opinion on Firearms is based on living 15 miles from Newtown, CT. Since you're opinons on firearms are based on what the NRA tells you they are, I'm not sure you'd understand. I put people before guns.

3) And no, your opinion on my mental health has no bearing-- and neither does mine on this teens. However, I think anyone who lives in the reality-based-community would certainly see who's behavior is aberrant.
I don't think you really know anything about firearms, if you did you would know that in 2011
FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 11

that 323 people were killed by rifles, but 496 were by blunt objects, why not hammer ban? or banning baseball? what about the 1,694 people who are were stabbed to death?

and in this nation you are right we don't value "people" we don't value "safety" we value something that is far great, far more important,

we value freedom, liberty and our god given unalienable rights,

"bad things happen, they always have and always will, but that doesn't mean my rights disappear"
Cody Willson

Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
1) You brought gay rights into a firearms discussion in an attempt to throw out some kind of "gotchya". You failed. I couldn't care less on why you were foolish enough to vote to reelect the worst POTUS of all time. Going forward maybe we can remain on topic.

2) Thank you for making my point. You know absolutely nothing about firearms. Someone living 1500 miles from Newtown, CT who has seen the same news reports has as much knowledge as you and that would be what the media has told them. You throwing out the "I live 15 miles from Newton" thing further solidifies my point that your opinions are based solely on emotions and have little or nothing to do with fact. My knowledge is based on 35 years of firearms experience which includes certifications as an instructor from the Mass. State Police. I started shooting as a young lad and knew more than you'll ever know about guns before I even knew the NRA existed. That's another big swing and a miss. You can really feel the breeze on that one!

3) Guess what? Your opinion of the mental health of the guy in the OP also has no bearing. So is this thread all done now or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What's so remarkably sad about your post is how well it demonstrates just how severely people have been conditioned to believe that guns are inherently evil. I'll elaborate.

Do you need anyone to explain to you that you have the right to free speech, or what it means? If law enforcement showed up at your door and said that they wanted to tear the place apart, looking for evidence that you've committed a crime, do you need a lawyer to tell you that they need a warrant for that? If you wanted to convert to <insert any religion here>, would you feel the need to check for a local ordinance or federal law authorizing it, first?

Everybody knows their rights as guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, and they will scream bloody murder if anyone even threatens to infringe them. But because guns - inanimate objects - have been so vilified over the past few decades, people act as if their rights which are guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment don't exist. They're perfectly willing to trade those rights away, without even understanding why they have them in the first place.
So much win in these posts, don't stop.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:04 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
When I have showen these photos to my Alaska friends all thier first thoughts are "Yumo Moose Burgers". Actually it is more like....Moose burgers....moose sausage.....moose roast......moose kabobs......moose stew.....moose steak....moose and potatoes....moose ribs......moose toung.....moose heart....moose liver and onions.....
You left out my favorite: Moose Wellington with Bordelaise Sauce and Fiddlehead Ferns with New Potatoes. Good Stuff!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
I don't think its the guy who patrols with a gun its the guy who does not want anyone to know he has a gun. You won't see the guy who wants to do harm coming.
While the young man under discussion makes me uncomfortable -- I have to wonder about his true motivation for continuing to behave in a manner that clearly makes his neighbors nervous -- the rifle he displays is a lot less concerning than someone with a handgun and a concealed carry permit. As the above poster writes, the more dangerous individual is someone who has a pistol tucked in the back of his pants, not the one with a 70-year-old long arm strapped to his back in full view.

Our nation's gun control advocates focus too much on the "scary" big guns, and not so much on the small weapons that can be hidden in a pocket or handbag, and it's those easily secreted weapons that frighten me much more than rifles, which can't be tucked into a waistband. This was driven home in a very personal way recently when local law enforcement found a handgun zipped into a binder during a routine locker search at the middle school my daughter attends. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

I believe in the Second Amendment, but I also think that our interpretation of the right to bear arms in a time of a professional military and constabulary, must be limited. Private citizens are no longer mustered into service and expected to provide their own equipment in defense of our nation, and a standing military is a much more effective means of defense today than the militia model of Revolution-era America.

It is unreasonable to prevent a rural family, who may not have quick access to law enforcement and genuinely needs a weapon to hunt or preserve property, from owning firearms. But must that constitutionally-protected right for private citizens to bear arms include weapons that are designed for the sole purpose of killing or maiming other human beings? I don't think so.

P.S. The moose looks delicious!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:54 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
our interpretation of the right to bear arms in a time of a professional military and constabulary, must be limited. Private citizens are no longer mustered into service and expected to provide their own equipment in defense of our nation, and a standing military is a much more effective means of defense today than the militia model of Revolution-era America.

weapons that are designed for the sole purpose of killing or maiming other human beings
Thanks for the routine recitation of standard paranoid gun-haters' talking points and outright lies. We need to hear these things every now and then, to be reminded of just how much ignorance and fear we are up against. I'm going to assume you recited them because you had not had a chance to actually examine them or think them through.

That said, why did you bring them up during a discussion of the 2nd amendment, which has no bearing on any of the things I quoted from your post above?

Old 05-01-2013, 02:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Not a gun-hater, and I learned how to shoot as a young teen. Just in favor of what I consider common-sense gun control legislation.

And how exactly do those issues NOT apply to the discussion? Please elaborate.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:07 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
what part of shall not be infringed do you not understand? why do people like you always stand on the rights of other people? all in the name of the "greater good"?
"You people" isn't useful in rhetoric. If you're trying to pull people to your side (which is the point of an argument. Otherwise it's just a fight, which is totally different), making a broad generalization isn't going to work.

Also, to respond to your point directly, the actual amendment is, so you stop paraphrasing it,
Quote:
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
You also have the right to freedom of speech. You don't, however, have a right to say whatever you want without consequences (eg, yelling fire in a crowded theater is still an offence).

By analogy, you, as part of a well-regulated militia, have the right to keep and bear arms, but that shouldn't give you the right to bear them whenever and where-ever it suits you without consequence.

But, if you, as other gun advocates proclaim, have the right to bear arms without belonging to a militia, and do so whenever and where-ever you like without consequence, does that mean some rights are more universal than others?

Old 05-01-2013, 02:10 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Not a gun-hater
Okay.

Quote:
Just in favor of what I consider common-sense gun control legislation.
Does the fact that the regulations you favor, violate the highest law in the land, bother you at all?

Quote:
And how exactly do those issues NOT apply to the discussion?
I'll continue the assumption I made above, and simply remind you that the protection of the people's right to keep and bear arms given by the 2nd amendment, is completely unrelated to what the calendar says, the size, shape, or function of the weapon, or the person's membership or relation to any military organization.

Now that these facts have been pointed out to you, any reconsiderations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies