Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 12:23 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,060,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Why is it so important that they "come out"? What's wrong with privacy?
You probably don't hide your sexuality. Why should anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,054,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
A punter no less. You notice in the NFL the real stars generally stay away from the media? Not too much advocacy except for charities. My guess is guys mouthing off to the press about their opinions on controversial topics aren't that popular in the locker room.
Lol. You keeping up with today's NFL where men like Kurt Warner walk to the podium with a Bible in their hands? You want advocacy? Half the guys who were just drafted thanked God when they went out on the stage.

More gay players WILL come out because there ARE gay players in the NFL. And in key positions. You won't like it so I'd suggest you switch over to bowling next season. BTW: Don't be surprised to see some of the well-known Christian players support their gay teammates.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM

596 posts, read 728,231 times
Wow, the ignorance is strong in here. Sadly, that comes as no surprise. For the guys who are so scared of being in a locker room with a gay man, you seriously need to get over yourselves! Every gay man does not want you. Just because a person is gay, that doesn't mean they're looking to hump every single person of the same gender who happens to cross their path. Besides, if you've ever used the locker room at a gym, then I can pretty much assure you that at some point you have already been in the locker room with a gay man. You just didn't know it. They just tend to blend in with everyone else, and somehow managed to hold back the urge to pounce on you despite all your gorgeous, masculine, irresistible manliness!

Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM

6,898 posts, read 4,735,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
How?

You don't want people mentioning their sexuality in public. Why shouldn't that rule apply to everyone?

Why just to gay people?
It does, I do not proclaim my sexuality to the world. Do what you want, but I don't need to hear about it. It is ones personal business.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM

39,004 posts, read 50,987,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well, then don't worry what others think.
What, me worry? I don't worry. I'm just curious what the public reaction might be to major sports figures announcing that they are gay. Will gays be able to break down the bias barrier in professional sports? 43 and those who followed were a game changer (pun?) in the struggle for civil rights. Could it be the same with respect to gays?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,060,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
So females arent allowed in locker rooms during certain times. Should now gays be not allowed and given their own dressing/shower area? Its a fair question. I wouldnt want to be in a locker room type area with a gay man. Its unfair to teammates. Now some will watch for a wandering eye from the gay player.

And I dont see how it is looked at as courageous to come out anymore. The media will prop you up, and then destroy anyone that says anything that isnt glowing of homos. Not courage when you come out and you have to be supportive and positive or keep your mouth shut. It is actually courageous to speak in anything but glowing terms of homos now, for fear of getting destroyed by the media.
It is highly likely you've already been in a locker room with a gay man. You just didn't know it.

I bet no one tried to hit on you.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,593,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
It does, I do not proclaim my sexuality to the world.
That's funny. Most heterosexuals do.

For instance, I wear a ring that my wife put on my finger thirty-seven years ago and has never been off, and it tells the world that I am married.

Whenever I meet someone it's rarely more than about five minutes before I mention my wife, or something my sons or doing, or what my wife and I did on the weekend, or some other way of flaunting my heterosexuality.

The federal government knows I'm heterosexual because I flaunt my heterosexuality every time I file an income tax return. So does the state government, and even my town government, because every time I've bought a piece of real estate I have proclaimed to the world that my wife and I have bought it "as husband and wife".

Even on Facebook if you look me up you'll see my marital status, pictures of me with my wife and our sons, wedding pictures.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we should have a law to prevent me from flaunting my heterosexuality.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,334,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My goodness. How on earth would it "diminish" the stature of professional athletes? There are successful gays in every profession - why would professional athletics be any different?

Will straight children look to gay men as role models? I'd hope that all children look to good people as role models. Straight or gay. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
I hope he doesn't get too discriminated for his "coming out", the man can clearly play basketball & he is good at it. does not change him just means he loves what he loves and he is not afraid to show it and whoever he may be with may make him a better person but it is his business & I agree that it shouldn't be a front cover because that it is by his choice. Jason Collins you go boy! Keep playing hard basketball.

Yes he is a role model now to all aspiring basketball players who happen to like the same sex and it ok for straight men to admire just as gay men still see newly remarried Micheal Jordan as a role model.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-29-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,945,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Do you go to the gym? Then you've undoubtedly already been in a locker room with a gay man.
I have a feeling that the gym might be one of the last places you'll find a member of the 101st Fighting Keyboard Squad.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,291,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's been a while since you have been on a playground, huh. The three letter "f" word and the "q" word are tossed around pretty casually there. Kids reflect their parents biases without adult restraint. Being a big fan of a gay player might get somebody beat up even in 21st century America. Maybe things will change.
It happens, but it's also true that more and more frequently kids are speaking out against that kind of verbal harassment. I know it's true of my children and their friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies