Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I don't understand why he felt the need to tell the world about his sexuality. If he wanted to share this information with people, Why didn't he just tell his family, friends and team mates? Why the need for the microphones and ESPN, CNN, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, CBS, etc cameras?
He did one interview with SI. It was a print story, no cameras.

Maybe he didn't want it to be a huge deal when he showed up to an event with a same sex spouse or date.
Just go on get it out in the open now, and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
I don't understand why he felt the need to tell the world about his sexuality. If he wanted to share this information with people, Why didn't he just tell his family, friends and team mates? Why the need for the microphones and ESPN, CNN, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, CBS, etc cameras?
IMO. money. He will write a book do the talk shows etc. His career was coming to an end. 34 years old averaging under 2 points per game this year.

Also by coming out to such great fan fare, he might be able to pressure another contract out of Washington. who wants to be the team that cuts the first gay player?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
First gay major sports player comes out. Will this ruin pro sports?
Of course it will. Next thing you know, football players will be running around in colourful tights.
Oh, wait.....

Old 04-30-2013, 10:47 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
I don't understand why he felt the need to tell the world about his sexuality.
Well, we could ask the same about the supposedly heterosexual athletes who parade their 'beauties' before the cameras, often joke about their attractiveness to the opposite sex, make jokes about their sexual exploits or abilities. I'm thinking that people in same sex relationships want to live their lives in the open and have everyone accept them and their choice as we accept people and their heterosexuality. I don't doubt the man is proud of who he is. God loves us all.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I don't get why people feel they need to "come out".

No one is "entitled" to know which sex you prefer.
and No, you don't have to "justify" to anyone what sex you prefer.

if someone asks, "are you gay", I will say yes, but I am not formally introducing it.
"Hi, I am so and so, I'm gay"....um, not happening.
obviously when I introduce you to my partner, you will know by then.

most people just kinda know and life goes on....but to formally have to say hi world, im gay...

my sons are the same way when their friends ask, OMG, I didn't know youd Dad was gay....they just look and say, whatever.....no problems

Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
And why didn't he do it before he was drafted if he's so courageous? Maybe he didn't accept it at that time, that's fine. But to wait until you know you're done and then make an announcement?

He's after something here, trying to capitalize on all the attention the gay marriage issue is drawing.

I think it's disgusting personally.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
IMO. money. He will write a book do the talk shows etc. His career was coming to an end. 34 years old averaging under 2 points per game this year.

Also by coming out to such great fan fare, he might be able to pressure another contract out of Washington. who wants to be the team that cuts the first gay player?
He is a free agent. He can't be cut.

Who knows how much money he has but in the last 12 years he has made $40 million.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I don't get why people feel they need to "come out".

No one is "entitled" to know which sex you prefer.
and No, you don't have to "justify" to anyone what sex you prefer.

if someone asks, "are you gay", I will say yes, but I am not formally introducing it.
"Hi, I am so and so, I'm gay"....um, not happening.
obviously when I introduce you to my partner, you will know by then.

most people just kinda know and life goes on....but to formally have to say hi world, im gay...

my sons are the same way when their friends ask, OMG, I didn't know youd Dad was gay....they just look and say, whatever.....no problems
That is so true!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM

353 posts, read 395,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
He did one interview with SI. It was a print story, no cameras.

Maybe he didn't want it to be a huge deal when he showed up to an event with a same sex spouse or date.
Just go on get it out in the open now, and be done with it.
I don't think it would have been an issue at all, because those closest to him already knew. Do you really think that his teammates didn't notice that he wasn't interested in women? Based on the reporting, he came out w/ his sexual orientation at the age of 32, and told his family and close friends.

This is why I view his recent announcement as nothing more than a highly staged publicity stunt (lights, camera, action). I do not follow sports, but some people who do, have stated that he is a free agent and doesn't have any team at the moment. If no team picks him up, the mainstream media will probably portray the NBA as "homophobic," but in reality, he is an older (non star) player that wouldn't have any press coverage if it wasn't for him (and his agents) arranging press conferences to discuss his sexual orientation to the world.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:02 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
I don't think it would have been an issue at all, because those closest to him already knew. Do you really think that his teammates didn't notice that he wasn't interested in women? Based on the reporting, he came out w/ his sexual orientation at the age of 32, and told his family and close friends.

This is why I view his recent announcement as nothing more than a highly staged publicity stunt (lights, camera, action). I do not follow sports, but some people who do, have stated that he is a free agent and doesn't have any team at the moment. If no team picks him up, the mainstream media will probably portray the NBA as "homophobic," when the reality is, he is an older (non star) player that wouldn't have any press coverage if it wasn't for him (and his agents) arranging press conferences to discuss his sexual orientation to the world.
He only told his twin brother last summer according to the story.

I don't follow sports, but I think it's a good thing that a player feels comfortable enough to be open about his orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies