Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

He IRA was doing it for a secular reason, but most were Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Timothy McVeigh was agnostic and there was no religious motivation to his actions whatsoever,

Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times
Ted Kaczynski was a 'Secular Humanist' in the sense that he was an Atheist. Stalin, also, was an Atheist(Though you may say he was't responsible for terrorism, but rather genocide).

By definition, by rejecting the divine, they embraced only the human interests. If you're asking from a religious point of view, both were humanists. If you're asking from the point of view of one who rejects medieval scholasticism and embraces a revived interest in Greek and Roman thought, then obviously that group's numbers are so slim that I would have to give the answer "No famous ones that I'm aware of."

However, it sounds like the OP has a reason for posting this. Can you clarify what you're looking for from this? Is this a posting for aggressive atheists to nudge one another and wink and aggressively attack religious people, or is there an intent I'm not divining?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:38 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Hitler was quite the Christian and clearly believed he was doing god's will.

See, this is the problem when people believe in invisible supernatural beings that have some hand in our fates. Not only is there absolutely no reason to believe such a thing, whether or not there is any ultimate tuth to the notion, it can so often lead to really atrocious, heinous acts.

I feel religion in itself can be a very positive thing--holy texts of many cultures often contain great wisdom and beauty, churches provide fellowship and security to many, the religious impulse can lead people to be more charitable, to work on makin themselves and their communities better, etc.

But all religions also include extremist zealot fundamentalist elements, and as we know, this can be very dangerous.

Some people claim to hear the voice of god guiding them through life. There is no more validity or truth to that assertion than there is to the claim of the young person strapping themselves with dynamite to blow up innocent people in a crowded square in the Middle East. Many of those people are also 100% convinced they are hearing the voice of god and doing god's will. Their claim is equally valid.
You're full of crap.

Show me one speech by Hitler where he mentioned that what he was doing was in the name of Christianity.

Wishful thinking on your part.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I think the OP was trying to say that without the drive and certainty provided to the righteous by a religion the secular humanists do not become terrorists. The "do no harm" part of humanism precludes bombing innocent humans to make a point.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the OP was trying to say that without the drive and certainty provided to the righteous by a religion the secular humanists do not become terrorists. The "do no harm" part of humanism precludes bombing innocent humans to make a point.
One would think, "Thou Shalt Not Kill" would also cover that.

As for religion providing the drive and certainty, we can point to Pol Pot, Benito Mussolini and Mao Zedong as evidence.

For things closer to home, Jim Jones was an Atheist who even said he created a church to 'bring people closer to atheism'. He was a humanist who used religion as a means to control and admitted it.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:04 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
By the fact that a person[s] becomes a bomber or mass murderer...only proves that person has left the logical teachings which ever first motivated him.

Hitler, IRA, Mao, Eric Rudolph, Adam Lanza, The Boston Bombers, Khmer Rouge, Jim Jones, The 9/11 Bombers...ect, all acted outside their professed ideologies.

Last edited by Chimuelojones; 04-30-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Bill Ayers, Bernardine Dhorn.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You're full of crap.

Show me one speech by Hitler where he mentioned that what he was doing was in the name of Christianity.

Wishful thinking on your part.
To be fair, I think trying to tie a politician to a specific religion through campaign speeches is probably not the best way to prove anything other than that he is pandering, but you asked...

From his speech in Munich in 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolf Hitler
And finally we were also the first to point the people on any large scale to a danger which insinuated itself into our midst - a danger which millions failed to realize and which will nonetheless lead us all into ruin - the Jewish danger. And today people are saying yet again that we were 'agitators.' I would like here to appeal to a greater than I, Count Lerchenfeld. He said in the last session of the Landtag that his feeling 'as a man and a Christian' prevented him from being an anti-Semite. I SAY: MY FEELING AS A CHRISTIAN POINTS ME TO MY LORD AND SAVIOUR AS A FIGHTER. IT POINTS ME TO THE MAN WHO ONCE IN LONELINESS, SURROUNDED ONLY BY A FEW FOLLOWERS, RECOGNIZED THESE JEWS FOR WHAT THEY WERE AND SUMMONED MEN TO THE FIGHT AGAINST THEM AND WHO, GOD'S TRUTH! WAS GREATEST NOT AS SUFFERER BUT AS FIGHTER. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and of adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before - the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice. And as a man I have the duty to see to it that human society does not suffer the same catastrophic collapse as did the civilization of the ancient world some two thousand years ago - a civilization which was driven to its ruin through this same Jewish people.
There is quite a bit more, but that is one of the most clearly stated. Many of his mentions of Christianity are more perfunctory, and can probably be written off as a politician interacting with a predominantly Christian electorate, but there are quite a few more substantive quotations like this one.
-NoCapo

Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Yes that is what he was trying to say but he was wrong. Ted Kaczynski might not have been a tithe's paying member but by all accounts he held the beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies